Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: refinishing sewing machine cabinets

Blog Entries
    Quick question, for some sections that have minimal damage to the finish, why not use lacquer thinner and 000 steel wool? It redistributes the finish and often times the color without having to redo an entire top (sides...). When dry, everything matches too!

When using this technique, I've been able to avoid the entire strip and refinish process on some gorgeous treadle tables.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redbugsullivan
    Quick question, for some sections that have minimal damage to the finish, why not use lacquer thinner and 000 steel wool? It redistributes the finish and often times the color without having to redo an entire top (sides...). When dry, everything matches too!

When using this technique, I've been able to avoid the entire strip and refinish process on some gorgeous treadle tables.
    Yes you can do this but with denatured alcohol because the origianl finish was shellac and the alcohol is the natural sovent for it. Lacquer thinner is used on lacquer finishes. Lacquer solvent is acetone(fingernail polish remover). If your finish is lacquer this would be okay if shellac then alcohol. you can test the finish by swabbing a little lacqure thiner if it melts then it is lacquer . Try a little denatured alcohol if it melt then it is shellac. I hope this answered your question. Glenn

Blog Entries
    Very helpful! I'll check it out on the New Home cabinet being fixed for my MIL. It is beautiful but was left in the rain at some point. The lacquer thinner allowed enough of the finish to come off that I could see the patent date! I thought some fool had painted a section dark brown.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redbugsullivan
    Very helpful! I'll check it out on the New Home cabinet being fixed for my MIL. It is beautiful but was left in the rain at some point. The lacquer thinner allowed enough of the finish to come off that I could see the patent date! I thought some fool had painted a section dark brown.
    Usually if the finish is dark brown it is shellac. The lacquer thinner just may have cleaned some dirt a grime off. Do the test and use what the test indicates. I have a tut on cleaning and old finish and some solutions you can make to clean the finish. Look in the search for cleaning sewing machine cabinets and you will find two solutions to make to clean them with. This may be easier than using the solvent method. Glenn

Blog Entries
    Thought I'd bring this back up to the top!!
    Thanks Glenn, for sharing your knowledge!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Here's the link to Glenn's cleaning tutorial!!

Cleaning and Reviving furniture(Sewing cabinets)
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Thank you,Glenn and Charlee. The Redeye's cabinet will need some work.

I will be starting on a old treadle this weekend this will be very helpful, Thank you!

Thanks for bringing this back to the top. I have a question, my treadle top has a thin layer of wood that is separating, how do I go about sealing back down???

Blog Entries
    Glenn, could you share some info on how you tune up the treadles too?
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast