Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sewing machine..gasp, lamp.

Looks like a Wilcox-Gibbs. It makes a chain stich. I had mine restored and she's a beauty. If anyone is intrested, I'll take a picture and post here.
    You can get older, but you never have to grow up! Tomorrow's just a future yesterday!-Greg Fergerson

Blog Entries
    Might be okay to have the lamp, but if you were interested in the other sweet Singers, would the store owner have put one on hold for you? Or done layaway?

Quote Originally Posted by JMCDA View Post
    ....hubby says one of the ladies working at the antique mall said "oh, I have one of those, I use it as a night light" when he was putting a featherweight in a quilting display! She got it at a yard sale for $10 and doesn't sew so she has it on a bookshelf, and just turns the light on for a bit of light.

Joann
    I bet any of us could get it to sew!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenda m View Post
    Looks like a Wilcox-Gibbs. It makes a chain stich. I had mine restored and she's a beauty. If anyone is intrested, I'll take a picture and post here.
    Absolutely post a pic!! I've seen W&G machines, but they were all round as opposed to the octagon shape...
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    I found it!!

It's a Gold Medal...circa 1860 -1870... Here's an ebay link, confirmed with information from Needlebar.
    http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/GOLD-MEDA...#ht_7892wt_901
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

Did I turn the crank? Bawhaaaaaaa. Oh yea, I turned the crank. How could I have resisted that. (bg)

d

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    Didja turn the crank?

(I can NOT believe I'm even asking!! )

BTW...I still haven't found it, but I keep thinking "Collier"....and I have found some that resemble the same shape, I just have to find the one that I once saw with those decals!
    My best is the least I can do.
    Mug Rug #2 Swap
    Monthly Quilting Bee Block Swap VIII- My theme is any block of kiwi greens, tangerine oranges, and a smidge of deep turquoise and dark chocolate browns.
    2012-2013 Row by Row-Groups 6 & 7 ... 2011-2012 Quilt for Quilters Swap

Blog Entries
    Good girl Deb!

The information on Needlebar tells me that this machine was an inexpensive alternative to the higher-end Wheeler & Wilson or Singer...but is highly collectible now.

Aw, Charlee... What am I reading between the lines??? You know how many dozen of eggs that means I have to sell to fund this! And that's not to mention the great puzzle box I saw for $ 38 ( chuckle)

Btw- great research skills.
    Best,
    d
    S not to
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    Good girl Deb!

The information on Needlebar tells me that this machine was an inexpensive alternative to the higher-end Wheeler & Wilson or Singer...but is highly collectible now.
    Mug Rug #2 Swap
    Monthly Quilting Bee Block Swap VIII- My theme is any block of kiwi greens, tangerine oranges, and a smidge of deep turquoise and dark chocolate browns.

Blog Entries
    ~grin~ I'm sorry???

Hi coopah,
    I wasn't truly interested in the Singers because they were electric. But I will say they were in excellent shape including their carriers. I was more interested in the antique scissors and a Singer attachment 'puzzle box'.

The machine on the lamp was cute. Caught my attention right away as I walked into this huge room full of items. It is a sweet little machine.

Hm....

best,
    d
    Quote Originally Posted by coopah View Post
    Might be okay to have the lamp, but if you were interested in the other sweet Singers, would the store owner have put one on hold for you? Or done layaway?
    Mug Rug #2 Swap

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast