Singer 31-20 help

Old 12-08-2015, 01:42 PM

Default Singer 31-20 help

I posted on vintage Singers group these questions and got some great answers but can't seem to post a pic there, so would like to ask for some help here where I know how to post pics. Hope that is okay.

I bought this 31-20 the other day and really want to try it out and get it going but don't want to ruin the motor if it needs to be serviced or lubed. So the biggest question is, does anyone know if this motor needs to be lubed/oiled or what? It runs well and smooth sounding, but I haven't run it long. I no nothing about motors.

I also need to know what type of oil to use and or grease or both for the machine head. I have tri-flow grease and oil and regular sewing machine oil. So I am wondering if there is something different I should be using. The old manual lists heavy grade oils, etc, but I haven't a clue what those would be. Can I oil it as I go or does it take gallons of oil for this, I won't be using it really fast or for long periods of time like an industrial machine would be used. I have heard these machines are great for quilting and such so will give it a try when I can get it going safely. Thanks for your help.[ATTACH=CONFIG]537549[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]537551[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]537553[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_5785.jpg   img_5784.jpg   img_5782.jpg  
Old 12-09-2015, 03:13 PM

If you don't see anywhere to put any oil then it probably has ball bearings and uses grease. You may need to take it apart to re-pack the bearings. The good news is it doesn't need done very often. If it only sees light use you can go for years.
It may even have sealed bearings. The grease in those is good for about 20 years then it dries out and you replace the bearings.
Rodney
Old 12-09-2015, 03:20 PM

I have a similar motor on my 31-15 (which sounds fine) and the information I found said that the motor had packed bearings. As far as I recall, this is oil-impregnated wool that is packed into the motor to deliver lubricant. I'm sure after 70+ years, it has solidified into some kind of varnish, and wanted, as you do, to put fresh lubricant in the motor to ensure a long life. The only advice I could get was some version of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" which I found unsatisfying. I turned my attention elsewhere (found a treadle table for a 31-15, which I highly recommend) and the project is "on hold." I'm at work now, but when I get home, I will send you any information I have accumulated in a PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:56 PM

Thank you Rodney. It has seen light use for the past 20 or so years and I won't be using it like an industrial, 10 hours a day. I don't know if the last guy every did anything to the machine and motor or not, wish I had his phone number!

Manalto thank you, I would appreciate any information you could find and send me on the machine and/or motor. I haven't found much yet, other than the downloaded manual off the net.

Oh, is regular sewing machine oil okay to use on the head? IN the manual from way back when it says heavy oil. I don't have a clue what that would be.

I had thought of a treadle table but don't know where to find one in our area. I hear they treadle very nicely, is that correct?
Old 12-10-2015, 05:04 AM

Yes, the head needs oil just like any other machine. The oil parts are marked --OIL, plus there's a few more. There's free manuals online, if you can't find the -20 the -15 will do just fine for the head.

I'm not sure about the motor, I only have a treadle.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
Manalto thank you, I would appreciate any information you could find and send me on the machine and/or motor. I haven't found much yet, other than the downloaded manual off the net.

Oh, is regular sewing machine oil okay to use on the head? IN the manual from way back when it says heavy oil. I don't have a clue what that would be.
I had forgotten the term: waste-packed bearings. Here is the text of a document I found. Keep in mind this would be for commercial use:
"G. H. Vogel.Waste Packed Bearing Motors.
A MANUFACTURERS" letter which appeared in the February issue of Southern Engineer, page 69, entitled "Waste-Packed Bearing Motors' interests me. Perhaps the following may interest him. The Manufacturers ask the following questions:
1. Is this type successful. (Referring to waste-packed bearings in motors.)
2. How often is it necessary to renew the oiled waste?
3. How often it it necessary to put new oil in the bearings without removing the waste?
4. Will these bearings run cooler than the oil ring type of bearings?
First, I will directly answer these questions.
1. Yes, the waste-packed type of bearing is successful if given proper attention.
2. Under ordinary circumstances the waste should be renewed every six months.
3. The- oil should be renewed every month, to be on the side of safety.
4. The waste packed bearing will not run any cooler than a ring oiled bearing, conditions being the same in both types, for comparison in considering the lubrication of the bearings of any kind of machine the following factors are to be taken into account:
1—Size of the shaft journal—dia. in inches.
2—Speed—r. p. m.
3—Pressure—heavy, medium or low.
4—Temperature condition—Frictional heat or induced heat.
5—Method of application—
■ a—Hand oiled,
b—Drop feed cup*,
c—Wick feed oil en.
d—Waste or felt p«^„
e—Ring or chain oilers,
f—Forced feed circulation system,
g—Gravity circulation—non pressure,
h—Both.
In any given case, an analysis should be made of all attending conditions relative to the factors given, before conclusions can be reached that will be permanently satisfactory. For example, consider the type of machine referred to by the correspondent. The size of the journals may be designated large, medium, or small. For convenience, large will be journals over 3 in. in diameter, and small those that are 1 in. and smaller, and medium, those sizes between.
Speeds may be designated as low, medium, and high. Low speeds, those below 50 r. p. m. Medium speed, those from 50 to 300 r. p. m. High speed, those from 300 r. p. m up.
Bearing pressures may be moderate or excessive.
Moderate pressures are those within the capacity of the design of the bearing with reference to its service requirements. Excessive pressures on bearings are due to excessive weight, pull or thrust.
Temperature of bearings in service are termed moderate or extreme. Moderate temperatures are those not higher than 140 deg. F.
Extreme temperatures are those in excess of 140 deg. F. due to internal friction, deficient radiation, or high surrounding temperatures such as from induced heat in those turbines where the bearings are close up to the sides of the encasement which is subjected to the temperature of the steam within.
All of the foregoing have a very important bearing upon the selection of a lubricant, and also upon the manner of applying the lubricant.
Briefly, the following may be used as a guide.
Small bearings require a light bodied, quick acting oil.
Large bearings require a heavier bodied oil.
High speeds require a light-bodied oil.
Low speeds require a heavy-bodied oil.
Low pressures require light bodied oil.
Heavy pressure requires heavy bodied oil.
High temperatures require heavy bodied oil.
Low temperatures require light bodied oil.
The type of motors referred to by your correspondent is an easy problem in lubrication. The size of the journals are medium. The speeds are usually high. The pressures —bearing pressure—are also medium. The temperatures are medium and should never be excessive if everything is all right about the machine.
Therefore, upon analysis of all conditions, and applying the factors referred to, a light-body, quick-acting straight mineral oil is suitable to use in the waste-packed bearings mentioned in manufacturer’s letter.
Charles J. Mason."

Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
I had thought of a treadle table but don't know where to find one in our area. I hear they treadle very nicely, is that correct?
If you find a treadle table for your 31-20, it's a real prize. When machines were being converted to electricity, the flywheel obstructed electric motor installation, so they were removed and, most likely, tossed, so they're not easy to find. After a persistent search, I tracked one down a couple of years ago from 1916 (at least the machine with it was from that year). The flywheel is larger (16") inches, compared to the domestic 12". It's very easy to control and it goes like the wind if you want it to. My 31-15 treadle is by far my favorite machine for a number of reasons; I just have to set up a decent bobbin-winding system; the one I've got works, but it could use some tweaking. I'm also trying to set up a good walking foot for it.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:41 AM

There's a cap on the front of the moor on the clutch end. What's in it? It looks like it could be an oil or grease port.
Rodney
Old 12-11-2015, 01:42 AM

This is exactly what happened to me a few years ago when I was looking for information on how to maintain my clutch motor. Maybe there's no one still alive who knows how to service them. One thing for sure - there's no conversation-killer on Earth like "waste-packed bearings."
[crickets]
Old 12-12-2015, 01:10 AM

Manalto, thank you and that was funny about the conversation killer! That was too deep for me, but thank you for sending it. I may later look for a treadle to put this in, sounds like it would be nice.

Rodney, I think you might be on to something with that cap on the motor, I tried to take it off but couldn't get it but there is grease some where there as I got it all over my hand. I was going to try again today but was gone all day and evening so didn't get to it. Will let you know what I find out. Thanks for noticing that, I saw it but didn't tinker with it.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:31 AM
Banned

Lynn,
Have you checked the other group lately? You've had a couple of really good replies and someone has posted about scans of instructions being posted for you.

Cari