Singer featherweight

Old 09-22-2012, 01:48 PM

They don't sound like they are gonna fall apart, no plastic parts, they are adorable,sew a perfect straight stitch,weigh a mere 11 pounds. I have 4 of them.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:30 PM

Cuz they're sooo cute! I actually smile when I look at mine. And besides that, they sew great and are quiet. I use it for piecing. I may get a second one if the opportunity comes along, though I know I shouldn't because my sewing room is small and I don't need two!
Old 09-23-2012, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b View Post
It has the best straight stitch ever - they are small- portable- great work horses and last but not least they are "cute"
Ditto......Ditto.......Ditto.... Have two and love them both
Old 09-23-2012, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by alabam49 View Post
If I wanted to buy a featherweight, where would be the best place place to look? Our thrift stores around here very seldom have sewing machines. I want one but am afraid to trust ebay, etc.
I found mine on Craigs List ....One in NC and the other in TN......
Old 09-24-2012, 11:41 AM

Everything about them is wonderful! .......except one thing, they are addictive!!! I just purchased my 5th one yesterday! So beware! They are not only pretty little ladies but, they have the nicest stitch, they're portable, reliable, and the sound they make when you are sewing is almost soothing. When I look at all of my girls I love to think about all of the history each one has seen, where it's been, and who has owned it. I get most of mine from auctions so alot of times they still have some of the previous owners personal sewing supplies still in their cases.

Now I need to find a name for #5!.......any ideas?
Old 09-24-2012, 12:02 PM

My DH surprised me with one - he went to the local sewing machine/vacuum cleaner repair shop and asked if they had one or knew of anybody that had one for sale. He knew of a lady wanting to find a good home for her mother's machine - so DH bought it for me - sight unseen. We went to the shop and plugged it in - it was already threaded and thread in the bobbin. It just purred like a kitten and went right to work on the little piece of fabric under the presser foot - backwards and forwards. My DH said he was tired of me "looking for one". So, now, I am looking at one in my room!!!! I know that he paid more for it than I would have paid - but I have one now and don't have to keep looking. However, if I were to find another one at a really good price, I do believe that it will be mine too.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:38 PM

They are perfect to take to classes and retreats. My "big" machine is electronic and lets me know it resents being lugged around. My featherweight is thrilled to get a road trip.

Originally Posted by SharonCase View Post
How do you answer the question, "what's so great about a Singer featherweight?"

I've always wanted one, and now I have a lead on one that's reasonably priced and in great condition. But when my daughter asked that question, I hardly knew what to say.

Thx much!

S.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:17 PM

"Sewing machine guy", my little name for the anonymous guy on Craig's list, finally called me. Hubby and i met him in the parking lot of a shopping center this evening. We left with a lovely little machine. It's a 1952 model 221. Brought it home, and it sews right out of the box. Needs a little cleaning, etc, but condition is quite good. I'm so excited!

Now, what to name him???
Old 09-27-2012, 01:00 PM

CONGRATULATIONS! I, too, am looking for another (as a gift for my cousin). I have one my son picked up at Good Will Store locally! It is white, and is in absolutely pristine condition. She still has the inspection label from the factory on it and he got it for $50.00. Of course, there was no case, and no attachments, but those can be purchased later. For what I intend to use it for (piecing quilts) I don't think I'll need a lot of attachments. I don't really know how many machines we have -- I still have my 328-K that my husband gifted me with the first Christmas we were married, I have a couple of Singer Golden Touch 'N Sew, I have my mother's Singer 1425, I have my featherweight and I think there are one or two in the garage (I don't know what models they are). I am out of room for any more, but my cousin has been looking for a Featherweight for years! I have sort of made it my mission to find her one! Enjoy your machine!

Jeanette Frantz
Old 09-27-2012, 01:02 PM

The ? should BE "Whats not Great About A FW!" lol
The 'List' of "Great" is WAY too LONG! BUT
The 'List of "Bad" is Well What List!

Last edited by icon17; 09-27-2012 at 01:05 PM.