Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Singer featherweight

Blog Entries
    Hubby found mine at an antique mall, one of those places that have lots of vendors. You might try one near you.
    Pat H
    Carencro LA

Just ran across one in an antique store on Mt. Desert ME, the guy was asking 450.00....I guess he was waiting for someone with unlimited income....Its folks like that that drive up the prices.

I bought my first FW at an auction. They let me try it out before it came up for bid and I love it. The 2nd one I got was at an estate sale.... and I got the cabinet with that one. It's newer, 1953 I think, and I use it all the time at my summer cabin. The most recent one I got from Craig's list. So, you just have to look in all kinds of places. They are out there and, YES, they are worth every penny you spend for them. I love the 'click-click-click' sound they make as they sew and you can't find a better stitch. I thought that a FW was too light to machine quilt with but not so. I just finished a quilt for my great niece and it was a better stitch than my expensive Viking with that $100+ walking foot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonCase View Post
    How do you answer the question, "what's so great about a Singer featherweight?"

I've always wanted one, and now I have a lead on one that's reasonably priced and in great condition. But when my daughter asked that question, I hardly knew what to say.

Thx much!

S.
    You can take your FW any place you can sew. If you FW tips over on its side (you don't have to replace your motherboard), you can still sew. They are little work horses. You can sew on almost any thing. You are able to take care of it yourself (un-like the new machines that have to go to the machine doctors). Our FW's value only goes UP. They are EASY to use (un-like some of the new machines that take a LOT of direction and classes to get the hang of). They take us back to a MUCH SIMPLER TIME.

Thanks for the ideas on where to find a FW, I so want one but don't want to be taken and pay more than I should. I checked out garage sales today and an estate sale also with no luck, but I am just starting on my quest. I love reading about everyone's machines.

They don't sound like they are gonna fall apart, no plastic parts, they are adorable,sew a perfect straight stitch,weigh a mere 11 pounds. I have 4 of them.

Cuz they're sooo cute! I actually smile when I look at mine. And besides that, they sew great and are quiet. I use it for piecing. I may get a second one if the opportunity comes along, though I know I shouldn't because my sewing room is small and I don't need two!
    ShirleyD

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b View Post
    It has the best straight stitch ever - they are small- portable- great work horses and last but not least they are "cute"
    Ditto......Ditto.......Ditto.... Have two and love them both

Quote Originally Posted by alabam49 View Post
    If I wanted to buy a featherweight, where would be the best place place to look? Our thrift stores around here very seldom have sewing machines. I want one but am afraid to trust ebay, etc.
    I found mine on Craigs List ....One in NC and the other in TN......

Everything about them is wonderful! .......except one thing, they are addictive!!! I just purchased my 5th one yesterday! So beware! They are not only pretty little ladies but, they have the nicest stitch, they're portable, reliable, and the sound they make when you are sewing is almost soothing. When I look at all of my girls I love to think about all of the history each one has seen, where it's been, and who has owned it. I get most of mine from auctions so alot of times they still have some of the previous owners personal sewing supplies still in their cases.

Now I need to find a name for #5!.......any ideas?

Blog Entries
    My DH surprised me with one - he went to the local sewing machine/vacuum cleaner repair shop and asked if they had one or knew of anybody that had one for sale. He knew of a lady wanting to find a good home for her mother's machine - so DH bought it for me - sight unseen. We went to the shop and plugged it in - it was already threaded and thread in the bobbin. It just purred like a kitten and went right to work on the little piece of fabric under the presser foot - backwards and forwards. My DH said he was tired of me "looking for one". So, now, I am looking at one in my room!!!! I know that he paid more for it than I would have paid - but I have one now and don't have to keep looking. However, if I were to find another one at a really good price, I do believe that it will be mine too.
    Nikki in MO

Blog Entries
    They are perfect to take to classes and retreats. My "big" machine is electronic and lets me know it resents being lugged around. My featherweight is thrilled to get a road trip.

How do you answer the question, "what's so great about a Singer featherweight?"

I've always wanted one, and now I have a lead on one that's reasonably priced and in great condition. But when my daughter asked that question, I hardly knew what to say.

Thx much!

S.

"Sewing machine guy", my little name for the anonymous guy on Craig's list, finally called me. Hubby and i met him in the parking lot of a shopping center this evening. We left with a lovely little machine. It's a 1952 model 221. Brought it home, and it sews right out of the box. Needs a little cleaning, etc, but condition is quite good. I'm so excited!

Now, what to name him???

CONGRATULATIONS! I, too, am looking for another (as a gift for my cousin). I have one my son picked up at Good Will Store locally! It is white, and is in absolutely pristine condition. She still has the inspection label from the factory on it and he got it for $50.00. Of course, there was no case, and no attachments, but those can be purchased later. For what I intend to use it for (piecing quilts) I don't think I'll need a lot of attachments. I don't really know how many machines we have -- I still have my 328-K that my husband gifted me with the first Christmas we were married, I have a couple of Singer Golden Touch 'N Sew, I have my mother's Singer 1425, I have my featherweight and I think there are one or two in the garage (I don't know what models they are). I am out of room for any more, but my cousin has been looking for a Featherweight for years! I have sort of made it my mission to find her one! Enjoy your machine!

Jeanette Frantz

The ? should BE "Whats not Great About A FW!" lol
    The 'List' of "Great" is WAY too LONG! BUT
    The 'List of "Bad" is Well What List!
    Last edited by icon17; 09-27-2012 at 01:05 PM.
    May Your Life Be Full of Charity and Love.

They are on Springfield, Mo GL all the time. A lot around Ozark, Mo to. Alot of flee Markets and junk stores. CCCCCCCHHHHHHHEEEEPPPPPP CHEEP
    Fredwtb3........ Friendship and Love is the only cement that will ever hold this world together.

Blog Entries
    "Sewing machine guy", my little name for the anonymous guy on Craig's list, finally called me. Hubby and i met him in the parking lot of a shopping center this evening. We left with a lovely little machine. It's a 1952 model 221. Brought it home, and it sews right out of the box. Needs a little cleaning, etc, but condition is quite good. I'm so excited!

Now, what to name him???
    WOO HOO! Good for you. I know you'll love sewing with your "new" little girl. Wish I could help you think of a real cute name for her but I'm not much good at that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2