Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
So much for making money ..... >

So much for making money .....

So much for making money .....

Old 06-29-2013, 10:14 AM

Default So much for making money .....

Two weeks ago on the 16th I posted a thread about our Free Singer 500 being a PITA.
{ http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...t223712-2.html }

Here is a before picture of it, I haven't taken any after pics yet:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]421692[/ATTACH]
My wife answered a Free Cycle add for an old sewing machine that didn't work. The lady said it had been serviced before and worked for a while, then started messing up. There was a service tag on the case top, but it had to have been many years ago. She wanted to give it to someone who would use it. HAH!!! The machine was in no way useable.
My wife had no idea what kind of machine it was until she took the cover off. When she saw it was a 500A she had dollar signs in her eyes ..... cha-ching $$$$$$$$ .... we were thinking of flipping it to help the budget.

So I worked and cleaned and worked and cleaned and cleaned and worked, and finally the machine started to respond. I suspect the previous owners used something other than real sewing machine oil. What ever it was it really gummed up as the machine sat in the garage.
I was reading all the threads, picking Arcaic Acane's brain, asking Miriam questions, and doing all the research I could to figure out this machine.
I think I got it a couple days ago. Did some test sewing, used Tammi's method of checking the top tension, it was way too tight, then test sewed with it.

After that I put it on my wife's sewing bench and asked her to test it and tell me if I got it right or not.

Sigh .................. she adopted it.

So much for making money ....

Joe
Attached Thumbnails img_5058.jpg  
Old 06-29-2013, 10:19 AM

Kind of makes sense. It was gifted to your wife for her to use, not make money off of it. Sounds like it's all worked out like it was supposed to.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:20 AM

sweet! She will have fun with that! Maybe she will sell her other machine.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:26 AM

Joe,

Yea, tell us about it.
I have lost count of the numbers of machines that I was going to sell that ended up staying.

Cathy

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
After that I put it on my wife's sewing bench and asked her to test it and tell me if I got it right or not.

Joe
Old 06-29-2013, 12:54 PM
Power Poster

No getting rid of it now!
Old 06-29-2013, 02:24 PM

LOL....OF COURSE SHE ADOPTED IT !! Cant pass up a genuine Singer machine that's hard to beat at sewing!
Old 06-29-2013, 10:17 PM

How could she sell it after all that hard work you put into it?
Old 06-30-2013, 02:18 PM

I believe this is the machine I learned on. Thanks for the memories. Sorry you aren't rich, but your wife appears to be.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:07 PM

It is a piece of American History...done right like in the old days. Keep it for the memories.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Two weeks ago on the 16th I posted a thread about our Free Singer 500 being a PITA.
{ http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...t223712-2.html }

Here is a before picture of it, I haven't taken any after pics yet:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]421692[/ATTACH]
My wife answered a Free Cycle add for an old sewing machine that didn't work. The lady said it had been serviced before and worked for a while, then started messing up. There was a service tag on the case top, but it had to have been many years ago. She wanted to give it to someone who would use it. HAH!!! The machine was in no way useable.
My wife had no idea what kind of machine it was until she took the cover off. When she saw it was a 500A she had dollar signs in her eyes ..... cha-ching $$$$$$$$ .... we were thinking of flipping it to help the budget.

So I worked and cleaned and worked and cleaned and cleaned and worked, and finally the machine started to respond. I suspect the previous owners used something other than real sewing machine oil. What ever it was it really gummed up as the machine sat in the garage.
I was reading all the threads, picking Arcaic Acane's brain, asking Miriam questions, and doing all the research I could to figure out this machine.
I think I got it a couple days ago. Did some test sewing, used Tammi's method of checking the top tension, it was way too tight, then test sewed with it.

Joe
We can't help what we fall in love with. Better luck next time, Joe!