View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013, 05:11 PM
Friday1961

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Two weeks ago on the 16th I posted a thread about our Free Singer 500 being a PITA.
{ http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...t223712-2.html }

Here is a before picture of it, I haven't taken any after pics yet:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]421692[/ATTACH]
My wife answered a Free Cycle add for an old sewing machine that didn't work. The lady said it had been serviced before and worked for a while, then started messing up. There was a service tag on the case top, but it had to have been many years ago. She wanted to give it to someone who would use it. HAH!!! The machine was in no way useable.
My wife had no idea what kind of machine it was until she took the cover off. When she saw it was a 500A she had dollar signs in her eyes ..... cha-ching $$$$$$$$ .... we were thinking of flipping it to help the budget.

So I worked and cleaned and worked and cleaned and cleaned and worked, and finally the machine started to respond. I suspect the previous owners used something other than real sewing machine oil. What ever it was it really gummed up as the machine sat in the garage.
I was reading all the threads, picking Arcaic Acane's brain, asking Miriam questions, and doing all the research I could to figure out this machine.
I think I got it a couple days ago. Did some test sewing, used Tammi's method of checking the top tension, it was way too tight, then test sewed with it.

After that I put it on my wife's sewing bench and asked her to test it and tell me if I got it right or not.

Sigh .................. she adopted it.

So much for making money ....

Joe
We can't help what we fall in love with. Better luck next time, Joe!