Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sweet score! Another Singer Red Eye

Sweet score! Another Singer Red Eye

Hi all,
    Just want to share with you today's trade and my excitment.

This sweet little machine was posted on CL for little (very little) money. The original warranty, slide plate, and some attachments are in one of the cabinet drawers. The warranty is dated 1925.

She had been sitting in a little outshed. Her bobbin area was taped over (one assumes to keep the bobbin from running from becoming lost). Story has it she was rescued from the dump by the father of the seller.

Cabinet is in rough shape and still in our vehicle. We had removed the machine from the cabinet for traveling, therefore she came into the house when we were unloading stuffs.

With the exception of a couple of areas along the front edge, she is in fabulous condition.

Originally I had thought I would do the 'Muv-style' cleaning on her and turn her around, hopefully to a local on this QB, however I have decided to keep her and turn her into a handcrank. DH is studying up on how to construct a box for her.

You should know that the pics you are seeing is how she looked when we bought her. I have 'cleaned' her up but truly all that entailed was oiling, cleaning bobbin area and polishing her metals. She is the cleanest machine I have yet to bring home.

Enjoy.

best,
    d
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image  Click to view large image 
    My best is the least I can do.
    Mug Rug #2 Swap
    Monthly Quilting Bee Block Swap VIII- My theme is any block of kiwi greens, tangerine oranges, and a smidge of deep turquoise and dark chocolate browns.
    2012-2013 Row by Row-Groups 6 & 7 ... 2011-2012 Quilt for Quilters Swap

Wow, The decals are in very nice condition! She looks very clean, enjoy her.

Oh, nice. Not sure I'd turn it into a hand cranker though. I kinda like my 66 treadles.

Joe

As do I, Joe. I already have a gorgeous 66-1 treadle. And her stitches can't be beat- at least in my book.

Is there any other reason not to turn her into a handcrank?

best,
    d
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Oh, nice. Not sure I'd turn it into a hand cranker though. I kinda like my 66 treadles.

Joe
    Mug Rug #2 Swap
    Monthly Quilting Bee Block Swap VIII- My theme is any block of kiwi greens, tangerine oranges, and a smidge of deep turquoise and dark chocolate browns.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Whigrose View Post
    As do I, Joe. I already have a gorgeous 66-1 treadle. And her stitches can't be beat- at least in my book.

Is there any other reason not to turn her into a handcrank?

best,
    d
    There's no reason not to crank her if that's what you want to do! It's a simple thing to put her back into the treadle if you decide you want to!

Pretty girl!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Very, very pretty girl!

Blog Entries
    I love her! She's a beauty!!

Very nice.

Very nice machine. I'd keep her too. I agree with Charlee, make her versatile hand crank and treadle machine.
    Sweet Caroline

I was just wondering if particular models/makes are better for handcrankers? I do know the 66 is an awesome machine for treadling but don't know if there was a reason for not making her a handcrank.

Sometimes when a comment is made an explanation would be good backup - in this case, about why a 66 shouldn't be used as a handcranker. I'm fairly sure they was no intent to spank but the lack of explaining why NOT to turn her into a crank would have been useful. Experience is the best teacher.

If it really is just a matter of preference - treadle vs crank - state it so.

She's a beauty of a machine. I know a QB member in Canada is searching for a Red Eye but it would take one heck of a leap-frogging to get the machine to her.

best,
    d
    Mug Rug #2 Swap

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast