A tooth!?

Old 07-18-2015, 02:59 PM

Default A tooth!?

I know we have a thread somewhere for the weirdest things we find with sewing machines. This is my weirdest find so far. I picked up an Elna SU blue top a month or so ago. I already have one but this was only 10 dollars and it had the slide on plastic tool compartment that mine is missing.

I was outside putting some stain on a box and opened the Elna to see what goodies might be inside. I remembered seeing that Singer guide foot and was hoping there were some of the rular guides with it. No such luck on the guides. I've found two of the feet now and no guides!

BUT, as I sort through the goodies in the box, I found a tooth with a gold crown!
Attached Thumbnails dsc_1100-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 07-18-2015, 03:33 PM

I'd love to know the story behind that find!
Old 07-18-2015, 03:48 PM

The gold might be worth a $ or two. But I'd keep it for the conversation value. Hey, you could make a necklace out of it?

Joe
Old 07-18-2015, 04:03 PM

Ewwwww!! If it was in a machine that I just got, I probablywould have just started laughing!! hmmmm maybe the Toothfairy was sewing up a new outfit and left a token behind
Old 07-18-2015, 04:52 PM

LOL Joe! Eww on the necklace..at least with the tooth still inside! I poked around on-line and I could get some cash for it. I'm not sure the best way to go about that but cash appeals to me more than the necklace idea.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:05 PM

Ewwww, for sure. And I'm glad you aren't going for Joe's suggestion, haha!
Old 07-18-2015, 06:27 PM

A tooth! That's a fun one.

We got a machine at the store that a grandmother had died, and left her sewing machine to a daughter. She brought it in, without looking inside. When we opened it up there was about $1000 in cold hard cash! And the daughter didn't know. We closed it up quick and called the daughter, and didn't work on it until she came to claim the money. She was so surprised!

Another one was a vintage Singer with the cork screw vertical shaft. I took the top off and there was mouse poop in there. Cleaned that out, and the cork screw shaft was binding up. When I looked down in there, there was corn and berries that the mouse had stashed.

Here's a sewing machine "Hall of Shame" if anyone wants a good laugh. http://shesasewingmachinemechanic.bl...-of-shame.html
Old 07-18-2015, 08:16 PM

Now, I've never found a tooth or anything similar in a sewing machine, but my husband found a whole set of dentures in the attic of a house he was working on one time. We later found out that someone had died working in the attic during the hot summer weather! Oh, my. Suffice it to say, we certainly didn't keep those! I think we trashed them! It's been a lot of years ago!

Jeanette
Old 07-19-2015, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
Another one was a vintage Singer with the cork screw vertical shaft. I took the top off and there was mouse poop in there. Cleaned that out, and the cork screw shaft was binding up. When I looked down in there, there was corn and berries that the mouse had stashed.
Last winter I bought a Premier 15 clone and the box was almost filled with a big, fluffy mouse nest. The wiring was also shredded - I think they used it for dental floss. I named the machine Minnie.

I can't decide if I'm fascinated or repulsed by that tooth...

I saw those "Hall of Shame" pics before. I know not everyone has the attachment to their machines that we do, but I've gotta wonder sometimes.

The last time I went to visit my friendly neighborhood OSMG, a lady brought in a machine to have something done to it that turned out to be a quick fix (it took him about two minutes.) It was a vintage Signature and kind of a cool looking machine, but it was absolutely filthy on the outside. I'm guessing it was on the inside too, because OSMG offered to give it a good cleaning for her. Her response? "No...that's OK. I just use it until it doesn't work any more, and then I'll bring it in."

Now I'm wondering what was hiding up inside of HER machine!

Last edited by SherylM; 07-19-2015 at 07:06 AM.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:55 AM

You might be surprised to cash in your gold tooth and have more mad money for sewing machines! I am always amazed at what can be found with sewing machines.