Treadle table questions

Old 11-15-2014, 04:13 PM

Default Treadle table questions

First off let me apologize for being all over the place today! I've lost my mojo so I'm sorting through the hoard poking at this and that and trying to find the thing that takes me down the rabbit hole.

I have never worked on a treadle yet and this one is calling to me. It's cute and compact and sorta unique. It needs a good cleaning for starters but I am not sure how to go about it. It has some areas where the wood is separating and will need gluing. Can I wash it down with Glenn's cleaning recipe --all the wood AND the irons? Or do I have to remove the irons first?

The bottom has a wood part that flips down and covers the paddle and locks in the upright position when in use. The wheel doesn't seem to go all the way around though when the arm is attached. Could the arm be too short?

Another question is there seems to be wiring inside. It goes across the back to a thing that might be a male plug end? and then continues to the inside right where it might go into like a terminal? the other end goes down inside the leg I think and attaches to a box on the bottom that holds the paddle.

You can tell by how well I am describing this that I am totally lost. I could use some help understanding what I am seeing here and how to get a start on it.

Maybe some pictures will help huh? Pictures always help! First the table, the paddle and the wheel.
Attached Thumbnails treadle-table-14-640-x-426-.jpg   dsc_0385-640-x-426-.jpg   dsc_0383-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 11-15-2014, 04:15 PM

Next the weird wiring stuff.. The terminal? on the right, the plug bits? in the center and the box on the bottom that the wires go to.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0399-640-x-426-.jpg   dsc_0406-640-x-426-.jpg   dsc_0407-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 11-15-2014, 04:29 PM

Christy,

I've never seen one like that. Not even in photos, so I'm at a loss as to what to say about the wheel or the electrical things.

For fixing the separating veneer I'd use an old plastic credit card and the Elmer's Carpenters Wood Glue I mentioned in your other thread. Use the card to work the glue under the veneer, then use many clamps and something like a 1"x2" or similar to spread the clamping force.

I've done a lot of that fixing sewing machine cases and treadle cabinets.

Joe
Old 11-15-2014, 04:43 PM
KLO

What the heck? I hope SteveH or Cathy or someone has some knowledge about this set up as it certainly has my curious neurons firing.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:56 PM

Ok I feel in good company since I haven't been able to find another like it to gather any information. I'm sure that's why it calls to me, it's different. Joe, I will check the other thread as soon a I can so I can get a start with that case thank you!
Old 11-15-2014, 05:13 PM

I am having a severe case of cabinet envy here! It looks like a electric/treadle cabinet. I have seen a few that are set up that way, not one like this though. The machine would have a motor and treadle flywheel, and if you remove the belt from the motor you can then put it on the treadle.

I would so love to see that one in person!
Old 11-15-2014, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I am having a severe case of cabinet envy here! It looks like a electric/treadle cabinet. I have seen a few that are set up that way, not one like this though. The machine would have a motor and treadle flywheel, and if you remove the belt from the motor you can then put it on the treadle.

I would so love to see that one in person!
I would love to have you see it too! It would help to sort it out I think. The machine that was in it was just a Singer 66, but i don't know if that machine was original to the cabinet or not.

Edited to mention it was set up to treadle and the machine has an odd piece wrapped around it that maybe held a motor? I'll get a picture of it.

Last edited by Mrs. SewNSew; 11-15-2014 at 05:18 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:28 PM

This is a photo of the odd bit on the Singer 66. The serial number on the machine dates back to 1917.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0425-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 11-15-2014, 05:33 PM

Christy,

That bracket would have mounted one of the big aluminum Hamilton Beech motors. Too bad it's missing the motor.
The motor would have been attached to that bracket with a screw.
Too bad it's missing, I think they're really neat motors.

Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 11-15-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:41 PM

Joe, do you have a photo of what I would be looking for? If I knew what to look for, I could at least keep an eye out.

I'm looking closer and I can see the when the bottom wooden part is lifted to expose the treadle paddle and is clipped in the upright position it actually presses a small button on the right inside bit I thought was a terminal. That must be a switch perhaps to switch off from electric power?