The Two Spool has landed

Old 01-17-2014, 05:30 PM

Default The Two Spool has landed

Got the Two Spool home, and she's covered in penetrating oil as I type!

After looking closely, the condition is not the best, I'd call it fair, good tops. However, everything is moving albeit a little slow. Nothing that some cleaning and fresh oil can't fix. The cabinet is in decent shape, needs a few minor fixes, nothing big. Super happy!

Oh...and this morning before leaving, I went ahead and checked out CL, just to take a peak. As fate would have it, I came across a Singer 99k in decent shape for 25 bucks! If I hadn't brought up opinions on price, I would've greatly over paid for other models, and would've had to pass on this one. Granted, this wasn't on my want list, but I may come to love it. ....and for the price, why not?

Thanks again for all the feedback! I'll post some pics once "Ol' Agnes" is a little more presentable.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:47 PM

would be nice to show the before and after pics. congrats.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:08 PM

Maybe I'll do that! Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Rach L. View Post
Oh...and this morning before leaving, I went ahead and checked out CL, just to take a peak. As fate would have it, I came across a Singer 99k in decent shape for 25 bucks! If I hadn't brought up opinions on price, I would've greatly over paid for other models, and would've had to pass on this one. Granted, this wasn't on my want list, but I may come to love it. ....and for the price, why not?

Thanks again for all the feedback! I'll post some pics once "Ol' Agnes" is a little more presentable.
that is a good price for a 99K. 99 is really a nice machine to have. i love mine. i paid for it for $47 and that is way overpriced but at that time i really have no idea on pricing. i was just so excited to see the machine and the bentwood case. it was the first time i saw a bentwood case and i was in awed. i hurriedly pulled my wallet and paid right away. i didn't realize i paid way too much. oh well lesson learned. you're gaining grounds and learning and on the right track. congrats and remember to post pics.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:38 PM

Ok, I think 47 is a fantastic deal! See where I could use guidance, LOL. Mine does not have the case . I was hoping to get one off of eBay. The 99's in my area that have the case seem to be priced around the 60-100 range, and are not in immaculate shape. I have no idea how many are actually selling though. Many are located 50+ miles away from me, so unless I can get a really good price, it won't justify the cost in gas to pick it up.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:33 PM

Gotta start somewhere, and 99's are good for that. How do I know? I have 4 of them, but the one I like best is the late model one with built in reverser, oh a rectangular case, because you can stack stuff (more SM's) on it.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Rach L. View Post
Ok, I think 47 is a fantastic deal! See where I could use guidance, LOL. Mine does not have the case . I was hoping to get one off of eBay. The 99's in my area that have the case seem to be priced around the 60-100 range, and are not in immaculate shape. I have no idea how many are actually selling though. Many are located 50+ miles away from me, so unless I can get a really good price, it won't justify the cost in gas to pick it up.
but sometimes it's the joy of driving that will make it even priceless. some people here doesn't factor the cost of driving to get the machine. they say it's the sheer fun and joy and the thought that a nice machine is waiting for you out there. 50+ miles is nothing. steveh one time drove over 1,600 miles (i think or maybe more) for a sewing machine. he will drive any place that is drivable for a machine he wants. that is what i will call a true hardcore antique collector.

i read it somewhere that a collector is someone who collect things that he wants without thinking that he can sell it at a profit later on. you collect because you like and love those things. cheers.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:27 PM

OMG! Driving 1600 is true dedication! I however, am a poor college student and can't afford much. I just blew the last of my budget on this two spool. No matter though, I'm happy with what I've got, and cleaning ol'aggie is going too keep me busy for awhile.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:59 PM

Congratulations on your Two-Spool! I'm happy for you that you got it. From what I've been able to determine, and my knowledge is extremely limited, the Two Spool Machines are a little rare! I know you sure don't want to lose the thread canister for the bottom spool. I saw one on e-bay a while back with a starting bid (or reserve) of $350! It makes you wonder what kind of wacky weed they're smokin'!

Jeanette
Old 01-20-2014, 05:52 AM

Oh yes, please do post some pictures.