Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Update on my vintage Elna and... a freebie! >

Update on my vintage Elna and... a freebie!

Update on my vintage Elna and... a freebie!

Old 02-26-2014, 09:38 AM

Default Update on my vintage Elna and... a freebie!

Just thought I'd update you all on the repair of my Elna which has been frustrating. I've been without a machine for almost a month now. I was just about to finish the binding on my little doll quilt and (@*#&$*&% my Elna just stopped.

I took it to a local shop that seemed knowledgable... they kicked it back, telling me the part where you plug in the power cord must be cracked. How that could crack sitting under/on my table for 20 years, and being used a handful of times in that time period is beyond me. Seems more likely that the power cord has gone bad, but I confess I know way less than the repair people do... I had to wait a week+ to get this news though and when I called to see if it was ready they told all was fine. Then I go to pick it up and I get the 'we can't fix this' speech. I was irritated.

So... I took it to an Elna dealer. 1 hour drive each way, but they seem more open to fixing it, even if it means replacing a larger part. I figure repairing it is still most likely going to cost me less than trying to find a trustworthy seller of the same type of Elna, right?

They are taking a look at it tonight, fingers crossed for some good news tomorrow.

In the meantime... I managed to pick up a FREE Singer 306. It look identical to this and is also in a table: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Singer-Sewin...item27dcab2e3d

The owner thought she had lost all the accessories (and foot pedal) but called me yesterday when she found them. Picked those up and that machine is also being looked at by the people 1 hour north of here. Hoping they can get it running, it looks like it would be a great machine. It was filthy, covered in dust, nicotine stains... but I know they can clean up really well. Hoping no one messed with the timing. Came with quite a few full bobbins, and none of them look damaged so I think it might be okay (!)

Anyway, that's my latest. I miss sewing so much. Hope you all are having fun with your machines. Thanks again for all the input on my other thread, I learned a lot.

— Rachel
Old 02-26-2014, 09:46 AM

I forgot to add: can someone tell me if the Singer 306 can do FMQ? And if so, what type of foot would I need to do that? The accessories include a box of very funky looking metal feet, rather amazing actually and I bet they all do cool stuff. I just have no idea what to look for in order to do FMQ... thanks if you know!
Old 02-26-2014, 10:30 AM

I've never had success FMQing with the 319 (which is basically the same as the 306 but with more built in stitches). I've tried many different FMQing feet, a darning needle with no foot and a vintage darning needle that has a cage type device around it. None gave me the results I need and can get easily with any of my other vintage machines.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I've never had success FMQing with the 319 (which is basically the same as the 306 but with more built in stitches). I've tried many different FMQing feet, a darning needle with no foot and a vintage darning needle that has a cage type device around it. None gave me the results I need and can get easily with any of my other vintage machines.
Good to know. I really only took it as a sturdy backup machine, so assuming they can get her going, that's all I need.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:58 AM

Neat find on your 306. Another machine on my ever-expanding want list. I think your cabinet is older than your machine, it looks a lot like my daughter's cabinet from 1926. Singer did make that basic style for a long time though si it's possible I'm wrong.
Your 306 uses a different needle than most machines, there's a good chance you'll have to order them online. Here's one source: http://shop.sew-classic.com/206x13-S...eedles_c46.htm
Rodney
Old 02-26-2014, 12:09 PM
Power Poster

I tried free motion on the 319, too and was not impressed but that doesn't mean you won't have success. Looking back, I used the raised throat plate that was made for darning and it didn't leave me enough room for my fingers. I have a 306 I'm tempted to try it and see how it does with just a darning foot and no plate - just dropping the feed dogs or setting the stitch length at 0. I really like the 306 machines I have. I just wish they would hand crank.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:48 PM

Miriam, they drop their feed dogs, so no need for a raised plate. However, the regular plate didn't help in my experience.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Miriam, they drop their feed dogs, so no need for a raised plate. However, the regular plate didn't help in my experience.
I wonder why they have the raised plate then?
Old 02-26-2014, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I wonder why they have the raised plate then?
Darning from what I remember.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:14 PM
Power Poster

How is darning different from anything else?