Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-02-2011, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
The cabinet is all assembled, treadle is oiled and runs smoothly, and machine is all cleaned up. I just need handles for the drawers and some pseudo bracket. For 122 years old, she makes a very pretty stitch!
Monica, love the fiddle base! Is that a VS 2? I can't tell by the picture!

Nancy
Old 07-02-2011, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
This one I did not. My mom did! She surprised all her kids one 4th (many many years ago) with a flag quilt. I love this because she even hand-quilted it.
Wow, how cool is that????? The quilt is even more special since your Mom made it! I hope it has a label on it for your future generations!
Nancy
Old 07-02-2011, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by missgigglewings
When I looked up her serial number I found that her decals are La Vencendora decals....grape vine and leaf motif. I did a google translate and La Vencendora means The Winner in Spanish. So, maybe I should name her Dora! How cute is that??
Missgigglewings, love your 128 with the La Vincendora decals, and YES Dora is a very fitting name!

Nancy
Old 07-02-2011, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by BLady
Where can I find a belt for my treadle machine?
BLady, most sewing repair shops carry treadle belts. They are on e-bay, in on-line stores. They are just a generic belt that you fit to your machine. They are usually 72"s -- you just cut the belt to fit your treadle and attach the staple like thingy that comes with the belt. Or you can sew the ends together with dental floss once you get it cut to the correct size.

Nancy
Old 07-02-2011, 09:44 PM

Would one of you mind posting the link to the Vintage Machines Pictures topic? I cannot seem to find the topic at all TIA
Old 07-02-2011, 11:06 PM

Love the Red Eyes, but have never seen one up close. However, last week I went to my favorite antique shop and saw a beautiful oak sewing cabinet. Oops, it's a treadle. That's okay, I figured I could put my 201 in it. Took a closer look and discovered there was a machine in it. The aged oak cabinet has been refinished, looks very pretty. The machine is a Singer 27, dated 1901. Very well taken care of. For $75, I took a chance. She is now next to my spinning wheel in the living room.

The original manual makes it very clear that this baby needs to be oiled. My question: Can I use the oil that I use on my spinning wheel? If not, where do I find the proper oil? Can I use any sewing machine oil?

Thanks.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Maura
Love the Red Eyes, but have never seen one up close. However, last week I went to my favorite antique shop and saw a beautiful oak sewing cabinet. Oops, it's a treadle. That's okay, I figured I could put my 201 in it. Took a closer look and discovered there was a machine in it. The aged oak cabinet has been refinished, looks very pretty. The machine is a Singer 27, dated 1901. Very well taken care of. For $75, I took a chance. She is now next to my spinning wheel in the living room.

The original manual makes it very clear that this baby needs to be oiled. My question: Can I use the oil that I use on my spinning wheel? If not, where do I find the proper oil? Can I use any sewing machine oil?

Thanks.
you need a clear sewing machine oil - don't use 3 in one oil. I use tri-flow - I get it at a bike shop
Old 07-03-2011, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Maura

Thanks.
You can use any good sewing machine oil. We DO need photos, you know...of the machine AND the spinning wheel, which has been on my wish list for ages!! ;)
Old 07-03-2011, 06:52 AM

OK...everyone: The search is on! I have been all over the internet and cannot find a place to buy a key for my Dora (128) and her domed lid! Any ideas???
Old 07-03-2011, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
Would one of you mind posting the link to the Vintage Machines Pictures topic? I cannot seem to find the topic at all TIA
Here you go! http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130994-1.htm

Nancy