Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2245 of 4399 FirstFirst ... 1245 1745 2145 2195 2235 2244 2245 2246 2255 2295 2345 2745 3245 ... LastLast
Results 22,441 to 22,450 of 43982

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

I love the name Harriet. I also really like the name Helen, but those names grew on me long after I was through having children. I far prefer them to the trendy names of today, and working in an elementary school, I hear them all. I still can't figure out why EVERYONE thinks their kid's name needs a "Y" in it. It can't be Caden or Jane, it has to be Kayden or Jayne or Jesselyn or something!! Nice enough names, but all those "Y's"!!

LOL!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    Guess what, Sharon, you were right. I switched the needle around, and Harriet sews!!!
    That's great!! I'm glad you figured it out. I also like that you named her Harriet!! That is my mother's name :-D I love my mother but I can't picture naming a baby, Harriet, although it must have been popular in it's day. It's funny how names come and go.

Blog Entries
    Hi all. I found a machine that is a "New Home" with serial number 2653105. If I looked at the correct information, it says it was built in 1906 and a "Style A". It is electric and runs, but everything sticks. It comes with that bullet tpye bobbin, but cannot get it out because of the sticking. The stickers are there, that I can tell, with some rubbing and on the bed the stickers look like they have been pecked at, but it doesn't 'seem' to be a problem with the paint. They want $40 for it. Is this a fair price? Would I have to get special needles or anything else for this or the following ones?

Also, I'd like to ask your opinion on a few other machines on craigslist.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/atq/2542724366.html

and

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/fuo/2542694432.html

Thank you so much for sharing your knowlege with me!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste
    Hi all. I found a machine that is a "New Home" with serial number 2653105. If I looked at the correct information, it says it was built in 1906 and a "Style A". It is electric and runs, but everything sticks. It comes with that bullet tpye bobbin, but cannot get it out because of the sticking. The stickers are there, that I can tell, with some rubbing and on the bed the stickers look like they have been pecked at, but it doesn't 'seem' to be a problem with the paint. They want $40 for it. Is this a fair price? Would I have to get special needles or anything else for this or the following ones?
    The two on CL look like good deals to me.

Could you clarify what you are talking about. "everything sticks" and "stickers" Sounds like quite a project. If you haven't bought it yet offer $10.

I just got a 66-1 Red eye treadle. I still have to clean her up, get a new belt for the treadle, and restore the parlor cabinet. Anyway I am new to the board, but I will be going to the TOGA. I am looking forward to meeting everyone.
    Anamaria[/quote]

Annamaria, I am Kathie and I am looking forward to meeting you at the Toga. That goes for Janice and Sheryl. Nancy I all ready know. I have talked to Cathy Neslon who owns the house that we will be at and the toga sounds like fun. See you there. Kathie

Blog Entries
    :oops: stickers = decals (too much in a to get it typed...)
    sticked= cannot open or slide the whatchamacallit to get the bobbin out or slide some other things. The owners believe $40 is a good deal, even with these issues... looked up on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    The two on CL look like good deals to me.

Could you clarify what you are talking about. "everything sticks" and "stickers" Sounds like quite a project. If you haven't bought it yet offer $10.

#1 is a VS II, but I've never seen this decal. I'm 98% sure it's a repaint, but there's an interesting decal on the HC as well. I would have to have it for that reason alone, but it's also an original HC case; there's an accessory well with cover under the wheel. I think the price is a good one.

# 2 is missing the middle drawer, but otherwise looks good, and I don't think $90 is out of line for this style cabinet (if it's in as good a shape as it looks) and the machine appears to be a 15-30--a great machine.

Also, I'd like to ask your opinion on a few other machines on craigslist.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/atq/2542724366.html

and

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/fuo/2542694432.html

Thank you so much for sharing your knowlege with me!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    Which walking foot did you get?
    This is what they look like.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

OK--the New Home A was built to go in a treadle. Is it still in a treadle, or has it been electrified? If so, it probably has a friction motor; not my favorite to deal with. I'm also not a fan of electric VS machines. They tend to rattle around too much for me.

I like New Home machines, though I must admit I like them mostly for their good looks. I have several around here, but I don't really sew on any of them. I just have never gotten around to doing so!!

Also, both of the Singer machines do take regular needles--forgot to state that in the last email.

:oops: stickers = decals (too much in a to get it typed...)
    sticked= cannot open or slide the whatchamacallit to get the bobbin out or slide some other things. The owners believe $40 is a good deal, even with these issues... looked up on the internet.

You will have a lot of fun!! I made it to three this summer--North Carolina, Tennessee and Ohio. Each one is different, but each one is great!!

Is anyone on the board planning on the ISMACS convention??

Quote Originally Posted by Kathie S.
    I just got a 66-1 Red eye treadle. I still have to clean her up, get a new belt for the treadle, and restore the parlor cabinet. Anyway I am new to the board, but I will be going to the TOGA. I am looking forward to meeting everyone.
    Anamaria
    Annamaria, I am Kathie and I am looking forward to meeting you at the Toga. That goes for Janice and Sheryl. Nancy I all ready know. I have talked to Cathy Neslon who owns the house that we will be at and the toga sounds like fun. See you there. Kathie[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by grayhare
    Anamaria
    Hi Anamaria,
    I'm so glad you have joined us. I love my 66-1 Red Eye treadle. She sews better every time I use her(mere 101yrs old)
    Sharon W.
    treadling happily in Texas