Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2375 of 4413 FirstFirst ... 1375 1875 2275 2325 2365 2374 2375 2376 2385 2425 2475 2875 3375 ... LastLast
Results 23,741 to 23,750 of 44122

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #23741
    Super Member DonnaC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,231
    At the risk of getting my friends here on the vintage machine thread all riled up (smile - just kidding!), how difficult is it to convert a hand-crank machine to electric? I have a lovely 1916 hand-crank that I may want to try and convert, especially this week after having no end of problems with my fancy-schmancy machine. At least I know my all-metal antique machine would be realiable! I have absolutely no knowledge of electrical work, by the way. Any insight?

  2. #23742
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,510
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaC
    At the risk of getting my friends here on the vintage machine thread all riled up (smile - just kidding!), how difficult is it to convert a hand-crank machine to electric? I have a lovely 1916 hand-crank that I may want to try and convert, especially this week after having no end of problems with my fancy-schmancy machine. At least I know my all-metal antique machine would be realiable! I have absolutely no knowledge of electrical work, by the way. Any insight?
    It's not a problem Donna....you attach a motor, a belt and go to town! If your machine is a VS, it may not take well to the speed of an electric motor...

    You really ought to consider leaving your handcrank as is and getting a 201 or a 15.. :) (JMHO)

  3. #23743
    Super Member DonnaC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,231
    I totally agree, Charlee! I keep looking for a great deal on one of those two models.... !

  4. #23744
    Super Member chris_quilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    leavenworth, ks
    Posts
    2,640
    Blog Entries
    19
    I ran across a centennial Singer 15-90, I believe, with attachments, buttonholer, buttonholer templates, needles, bobbins and in a lovely blonde wood cabinet. It also had the manual with it. Seller wants $87.50 for it. Am only mildly tempted because I have already have 2 or 3 15s plus a couple of clones but wondered what thoughts are about the price. DH has pretty much I could buy it if I wanted it but I do a teensy space issue already plus over 20 machines.

  5. #23745
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,972
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaC
    I totally agree, Charlee! I keep looking for a great deal on one of those two models.... !
    If you plan on doing free motion quilting then look for a Singer 15-90 or 15-91. The 15s do a better job of FM than do the 201s. Have fun hunting!

  6. #23746
    Super Member Quilt Mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Headed home
    Posts
    2,416
    Quote Originally Posted by deplaylady
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    Quote Originally Posted by deplaylady
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
    Quote Originally Posted by deplaylady
    Any thoughts on this one? I called about it - I can't tell a lot from the picture, but I've wanted a toy Singer. What should I be looking for- and what do they go for? Ive seen them go for a lot more on eBay,and that's not counting the shipping. I think it looks like a centennial one.
    http://rochester.craigslist.org/atq/2593341424.html
    I'd get it if I were there. I have no idea about value in your neck of the woods, but it looks reasonable in mine.
    I'm meeting her at one - unless it looks like there's a big problem I'm going to own a baby Singer!
    You have cool toys can I come over to play?
    Sure - anytime!
    Well, I didn't have any problems - we met in a parking lot at a local shopping plaza. Just mover her MIL to a nursing home and was selling her things. Here are some pictures of my newest machine - good thing it's small, I'm running out of room!
    OOh! I'm jealous! I keep looking, and looking, and looking. Lately my travel has been curtailed by the roads that are (still) closed due to the Missouri River flooding. Ah, well. Some day I will find one of those cute little toy machines! I am happy you got the sew-handy. Enjoy! :thumbup:

  7. #23747
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    OMG! These things really do work well!

    After seeing a demo at the TOGA this weekend, I got brave enough to play with my Singer ruffler today.

    These are the best! This is the prettiest gathering I have ever done.
    Wow Monica good for you! I tried to use the ruffler a while back and got 'flat' spots. It would ruffle for a while - skip with no ruffling - then ruffle again! I wonder if it was operator error or a bad ruffler? I will have to try again!

    Nancy

  8. #23748
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by deplaylady
    Well, I didn't have any problems - we met in a parking lot at a local shopping plaza. Just mover her MIL to a nursing home and was selling her things. Here are some pictures of my newest machine - good thing it's small, I'm running out of room!
    Deplaylady, what a cute little machine! Congratulations!

    Nancy

  9. #23749
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaC
    I totally agree, Charlee! I keep looking for a great deal on one of those two models.... !
    If you plan on doing free motion quilting then look for a Singer 15-90 or 15-91. The 15s do a better job of FM than do the 201s. Have fun hunting!
    Donna, I agree with Monica if you are on the hunt for an e-machine, which I know you are, - but for the rest of you that want a treadle to free motion quilt with - find a 15-88! They come as treadles, never had a motor attached. I do all my free motion quilting with my 15-88!

    Nancy

  10. #23750
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaR
    vinetagemotif and lee231, what is that bar and screw at the top of the machine for??? something to do with the thread??
    Linda, I know this got answered already, but the correct term for the thingy on top is a 'Tension Spring and Cap.' The screw is the 'Tension Screw.' And, yes this is the tension assembly.

    Nancy

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.