Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-09-2011, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I wonder if the thrift store would have a cheap turkey baster now that Thanksgiving is over...
They're pretty inexpensive at big ol' Wally World, but I do see them all the time at garage sales. I'm watching to see when the metal turkey "flavor injectors" (looks like a big, old-fashioned hypodermic needle) go on sale. Thought that might work to try to get in the small holes without getting kerosene everywhere. (Ok, really they just look cool to have, and I've never needed to inject poultry with anything).
Old 12-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
They're pretty inexpensive at big ol' Wally World, but I do see them all the time at garage sales. I'm watching to see when the metal turkey "flavor injectors" (looks like a big, old-fashioned hypodermic needle) go on sale. Thought that might work to try to get in the small holes without getting kerosene everywhere. (Ok, really they just look cool to have, and I've never needed to inject poultry with anything).
would an old metal cookie press hold kerosene? I need to check and see if one has gaskets? I have a good sized oil can - enlarge the tip a tad bit.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:08 PM
Power Poster

would an old metal cookie press hold kerosene? I need to check and see if one has gaskets? I have a good sized oil can - enlarge the tip a tad bit.
I'm wondering if I detect a Swedish Chef muppet??? bork bork
Old 12-09-2011, 07:21 PM

I've got one (used for actual cookies though), and it's pretty loose, no gasket.

You are making me laugh tonight. I think I belong more in the balcony with Statler and Waldorf, or maybe in a lab with Dr. Honeydew and Beaker.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:34 PM

I'm wondering if I detect a Swedish Chef muppet??? bork bork
LOL!! One of my favorites!
Old 12-09-2011, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
I've got one (used for actual cookies though), and it's pretty loose, no gasket.

You are making me laugh tonight. I think I belong more in the balcony with Statler and Waldorf, or maybe in a lab with Dr. Honeydew and Beaker.
OMG I forgot Dr. HoneyDew and Beaker!!
Old 12-09-2011, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
Wow !! she is a pretty one. I'm betting when you evict the mud daubers and do some work on her, she will be fine !!
What city in West Texas ?? I'm from Midland originally.

Texas Jan
I'm in central Texas,Round Rock; the "W" is the first letter of my last name. )
Old 12-09-2011, 08:35 PM
Banned

at Checkerdist.com they have a whole section featuring MIA sewing/quilting notions. More there than you might think!
I found a Treadle here in TX today..but they wanted $100 and it was in bad shape...had to pass and will keep junking tomorrow...and Sunday while traveling around my home state!
Old 12-09-2011, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
A "new" machine followed me home today; cost me $10. She is a 1910 Singer #115. My first project machine, the only thing that moves right now is the handwheel(nothing else moves) and the stitch length lever. Most everything is rusted. It came with an added bonus! A mud dauber nest in the pillar(#2 pic). The decals are beautiful. I hope I can get her moving again.
Sharon W. in Texas
Sharon, The decals on this pathetic lady are gorgeous! With all that rust, you'd think the decals would be mostly gone. I'm sure after a good spa treatment, this machine will sew beautifully for you. Looks to be a very rewarding project!!!
Old 12-09-2011, 09:35 PM

Well. HHHMMM. I just called on one on CL and I'm picking up an unknown treadle in a cabinet tomorrow. The lady is wanting to change her decor. The machine is stuck down so any thoughts how to rescue her??? The lady says it begins with D and is very ornate. I hope I can sleep tonight...
That's what it is!! Damascus! (maybe...LOL) The machine probably just needs to be pushed back onto the hinge pins before it will lift out...that's what is usually wrong anyway! Can't wait to hear what you find!