Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-08-2011, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by quilt addict View Post
Charlee, I bought some leather boot laces at
Walmart last week and they just look too thin to stand up to be a treadle belt. It was all they had and the length is 72" but they are just a narrow strip of flat leather, smooth on one side and unfinished leather on the back. I am not sure one put a hole in it to join the ends that it would not tear out of the side.

Is this what you use or should I look at a regular shoe/boot store for some meatier ones?
It's probably what I use...I get mine where ever I see one....they are skinnier than the regular belts, but they work just fine. I use a sewing awl to mark/punch a hole, laying the "belt" down on a block of wood after I cut it to length. The one you got is probably just fine!
This one is put together using the staple from the original belt...
Attached Thumbnails bootlace.jpg  
Old 12-08-2011, 07:23 AM

I recently bought a Singer 319w which came complete with all cams and manual and extras. The man's mom and
grandma were seamstresses. The only issue it has is the needle hits the bobbin area. I'm thinking it probably has the
wrong needle as I know they take a 206x13. My question is how do I know the difference in right verses wrong needle?
Could it be a timing thing? My second question is where is the serial number? My other vintage machines display it on
the base or column. I researched that they were only made 1955-57 but I'd like to find out the specifics. I don't post
often but read this thread daily and have learned an enormous amount. Mostly I appreciate the characters and funnies of the regulars and have gotten to know you all well. Thanks for it all.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by hootnannie View Post
I recently bought a Singer 319w which came complete with all cams and manual and extras. The man's mom and
grandma were seamstresses. The only issue it has is the needle hits the bobbin area. I'm thinking it probably has the
wrong needle as I know they take a 206x13. My question is how do I know the difference in right verses wrong needle?
Could it be a timing thing? My second question is where is the serial number? My other vintage machines display it on
the base or column. I researched that they were only made 1955-57 but I'd like to find out the specifics. I don't post
often but read this thread daily and have learned an enormous amount. Mostly I appreciate the characters and funnies of the regulars and have gotten to know you all well. Thanks for it all.
You're going to need the 206 x 13 needles anyway, so you might as well buy some and give them a try. Though if the machine is seriously hitting the case, it sounds like it may be out of time. I had to retime mine as well in the cleaning process. You just undo the screws (2) in the bobbin assembly area and you can move the bobbin assembly. It took me a looong time of moving over a smidge and rotating the handwheel, moving it over a smidge and rotating the handwheel to make sure it was timed correctly. Yes, the serial # isn't going to tell you anything about date on this machine.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Wow...I want to know which auction site this machine is selling for $1,300 for!

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2740961255.html
Haha!! Not likely!! Man...these people are delusional!!!
Old 12-08-2011, 09:59 AM

I have not been using all of my machines. I know that they need oiling every so often.
How offen does any one suggest on a machine that just sits. Kathie
Old 12-08-2011, 11:03 AM

Candace, is there a serial number on these and if so where would I find it?
Old 12-08-2011, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Wow...I want to know which auction site this machine is selling for $1,300 for!

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2740961255.html
If you can find the auction site let me know. I would like to sell a machine for $1,300 sure would help out this Christmas wouldn't it.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:08 PM

Anyone in Queens NY to pick up a really nice deal listed on ebay with lovely cabinet and Two! sewing machine heads? See this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Singer-Sewin...item35b7767829 I would go for it if I were down there!
Old 12-08-2011, 02:36 PM

Testing the FM quilting with the Davis NVF. Nancy once mentioned that this could be done. I have only straight stitched with the Davis, but today I gave the FM a try (no feed dogs on this machine). I slowly followed the lines of a pattern on a separate fabric (I'm not gifted in drawing). I turned this into a potholder. I used another fabric for the top that I just quilted curvy lines on it. The silver fabric is the ironing board fabric that I picked up at JoAnn's.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]294162[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]294165[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]294167[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]294168[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_4002.jpg   img_4004.jpg   img_4006.jpg   img_4007.jpg  
Old 12-08-2011, 02:39 PM

Wow nice job!!