Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-09-2011, 03:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl View Post
Thanks Candace - I will check both items out. Though I have my Singer 403 with all of it's decorative stitches. Thanks to Cathy at TOGA I now have the complete set of cams. Re: FMQ - so does it still FMQ ok even though the feed dogs on yours don't drop all the way down? I googled the machine & seemed that all of the comments I found re: FMQ with this model were positive. So just wondering.
It could vary from one old machine to another how well those dogs drop.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltncowgirl View Post
wouldn't it be sweet if it came with a matching '55 chevy?
great match!!!!
Old 12-09-2011, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
It could vary from one old machine to another how well those dogs drop.
I'm going to take some fabric swatches & thread and hopefully be able to give her a test drive (the machine not the car)
Old 12-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

I'm going to take some fabric swatches & thread and hopefully be able to give her a test drive (the machine not the car)
A test drive is a good idea but also take a SCREW DRIVER and open the top and LOOK close at that cam stack - shine a light on it - you don't want to pay that much if it will turn out to be a parts machine.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:50 PM

Default 1910 Singer 115

A "new" machine followed me home today; cost me $10. She is a 1910 Singer #115. My first project machine, the only thing that moves right now is the handwheel(nothing else moves) and the stitch length lever. Most everything is rusted. It came with an added bonus! A mud dauber nest in the pillar(#2 pic). The decals are beautiful. I hope I can get her moving again.
Sharon W. in Texas
Attached Thumbnails 1910-singer-115-010.jpg   1910-singer-115-001.jpg   1910-singer-115-005.jpg   1910-singer-115-007.jpg  

Last edited by purplefiend; 12-09-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
A "new" machine followed me home today; cost me $10. She is a 1910 Singer #115. My first project machine, the only thing that moves right now is the handwheel(nothing else moves) and the stitch length lever. Most everything is rusted. It came with an added bonus! A mud dauber nest in the pillar(#2 pic). The decals are beautiful. I hope I can get her moving again.
Sharon W. in Texas
Wow, the decals look very nice!! That has to be my favorite style decal, so beautiful. I hope you can get her moving! Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
Sharon W. in Texas
I wonder why the hand wheel spins and nothing else moves? Is the clutch disconnected?
Old 12-09-2011, 05:07 PM

Thanks Candace - I will check both items out. Though I have my Singer 403 with all of it's decorative stitches. Thanks to Cathy at TOGA I now have the complete set of cams. Re: FMQ - so does it still FMQ ok even though the feed dogs on yours don't drop all the way down? I googled the machine & seemed that all of the comments I found re: FMQ with this model were positive. So just wondering.
Yes, it's fine that they don't drop all the way, it still makes a nice FMQ machine. I don't put anything on the feed dogs. I can also FMQ on my 185 and the feed dogs don't drop. It's a different "feeling", but you get used to it. The Morse is not my best FMQ machine, but definitely useable as such. That's good you have the 403, but if you're going to only have a straight stitch only machine, you should know about this beforehand and pay for this accordingly. Of course the cams may be perfect, but it's good to know all the info. beforehand. The camstack in mine has a good 1/16" space and crack in it, yet it doesn't show at all in the decorative stitching....
Old 12-09-2011, 05:09 PM

Actually, Miriam in this Morse, I don't believe they drop but googling pictures and info. on this exact model will tell you. This model is earlier than the one I have and mine don't drop..so I'd imagine the even earlier model aren't designed to drop either.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I wonder why the hand wheel spins and nothing else moves? Is the clutch disconnected?
Nothing else moves due to extensive rust inside. The rear inspection plate is all rust on the outside. I can loosen the clutch easily.