Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-25-2012, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Ok - thanks to the internet I think I have it figured out...

REDNECK HOME SECURITY SYSTEM

1. Buy a pair of size 14-16 work boots.

2. Put them on the front porch with a copy of Guns & Ammo.

3. Put some giant dog dishes next to the boots and magazine.

4. Leave a note on the door: "Bubba: Me & Bertha went for more ammo and beer. Back soon. Don't mess with the pit bulls; they messed the mailman up bad this morning. I don't think Killer took part; hard to tell from all the blood. I locked all four of ‘em in the house. Better wait outside. Be right back. Cooter"
Miriam, this might help the attempted break ins, but I doubt it helps the mooning! You are so funny, what a sense of humor! I think the dog idea is the best! We rescued the sweetest dog - he looks like a pit bull, but our local animal shelter swears he is lab/queensland. The queensland part I believe because he wants to herd the horses, but the lab part - no, he is pit bull! We got him to protect our place and our animals and just looking at him would scare most people, but he is so sweet! We went to the animal shelter 4 times checking him out before we brought him home! Once by ourselves, once with a grandchild, once to see how he'd react with puppies, and once to see how he'd react with cats! He just wants to love everything! You really ought to get a rescue dog there are so many out there that need homes! A big plus, he came as a 2 year old already potty trained! We just love him - we didn't have to go through the puppy stuff and he is so loving probably because he loves it here!

Nancy
Old 01-25-2012, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
I'd love to take you up on that! The spousal unit just pointed out to me tonight that Allegiant Airline is opening up a route between Redmond and San Francisco, and the initial rates are a whopping $9.19 per person! Problem with that would be that I'm surprising him with his daughters for his birthday in May, and will be flying them in from Florida, so we'll be taking vacation then, and won't get another one for awhile!
Charlee are you in Redmond? My aunt lives there.

Nancy
Old 01-25-2012, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51 View Post
Yes I am getting a little better but I still have my days here and there but I promise to be around more! I just never thought that when I started this thing that it would take off like it has. I am glad that everyone is having a ball and that there is so much enthusiasm for the vintage machines especially the treadles.

Billy
Billy does this mean you are well enough to work on the vintage machines again? Paint them? Run your parts business?

Nancy
Old 01-25-2012, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Hollyann View Post
I'm stating to refinish a Raymond, does anyone have any info on this machine?
Hollyann, did you post a picture? Charles Raymond was instrumental in the sewing machine manufacturing business, and the invention of the sewing machine. The Raymond Manufacturing Co was sold to White Manufacturing Co in 1916. The machines named Raymond were manufactured between 1895 and 1916, after 1916 they were made by White. Do your treadle legs say Raymond on the irons? Here is some information on Raymond .http://www.sewalot.com/charles_raymond.htm

Nancy

Here are some photos from the White site. http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...62526590iVaRRP

Another interesting site with a Raymond pictured http://blog.tawnybee.com/2011/07/cha...g-machine.html

Last edited by BoJangles; 01-25-2012 at 06:03 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:38 AM

Thank you so much, Nancy, yes the treadle legs say Raymond on it, the machine is in pretty rough shape. I might be fooling myself but i thought it would be a good project to try and get her cleaned up and running.... Her underside is very clean and all the parts are moving, just lots of rust on her back plate. I just took some pics I will post. I'm new to this so I could be kidding myself.. hope not. Thank you for the info.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Charlee are you in Redmond? My aunt lives there.

Nancy
Yep! Wonder if we know each other?
Old 01-25-2012, 08:07 AM

Sorry to hear about your sister Charlee.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
The machine doesn't care what sort of treadle irons/pitman is powering it as long as it works! I have an 1895 treadle set up and it fits all of Singer treadle heads. I also have a set of Elgin irons that I've got a top from a early 1900s Singer coffin top. The picture you see here shows the Singer 66-1 head in the same cabinet as the one in the webshots pic.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...45965719cnSsAp

Sharon, All your donation quilts are pretty! I love those scrappy log cabins that you made. You are one busy lady, bless ya.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Hollyann View Post
I'm stating to refinish a Raymond, does anyone have any info on this machine?
Canada's largest sewing machine manufacturer, thanks to Singer who ran them out of town:
http://www.sewalot.com/charles_raymond.htm
Old 01-25-2012, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by justtrish View Post
Sorry to hear about your sister Charlee.
Thank you Trish