Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3028 of 4409 FirstFirst ... 2028 2528 2928 2978 3018 3027 3028 3029 3038 3078 3128 3528 4028 ... LastLast
Results 30,271 to 30,280 of 44088

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #30271
    Senior Member quiltdoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    485
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    http://www.sewmuse.co.uk/Wheeler and Wilson.htm

    So...the guy I chatted with that told me my machine was about 1878 was most likely wrong... and I'm ok with that! LOL I like knowing when the machines were made, and this article tells me that my machine is more likely after 1880... but before they stopped production of the model 8 in about 1887.
    With that bit of knowledge, Jan, that machine you picked up today is likely 1876, do you think? With only 5 digits in the serial, it has to be a first/second year production!
    I looked at the patent numbers on my first one. they are 1872, 1873,March 1876, 1877 and 1878. The new one has only two patent dates 1872 and 1873. Looks like to me it must be between 1873 and March 1876. I'll look for more dates tomorrow. I'll go read that Sewmuse article now. I'll shoot a couple more pictures tomorrow of the "jewelry" she has. Just read the article, so it must be one of the first ones of 1876. Now that is neat !

    Texas Jan
    Last edited by quiltdoctor; 01-27-2012 at 07:02 PM.

  2. #30272
    Senior Member sew wishful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NE Iowa
    Posts
    846
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    Here's Treadleon's site listing of the current TOGAs that are scheduled:

    http://www.treadleon.net/fleamarket/events.htm
    Okay...now I need to ask...what do you do at TOGA's? There is one in MN that I might travel to, if the dates work out, but what happens there?
    And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28


    Randa

  3. #30273
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,510
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
    I looked at the patent numbers on my first one. they are 1872, 1873,March 1876, 1877 and 1878. The new one has only two patent dates 1872 and 1873. Looks like to me it must be between 1873 and March 1876. I'll look for more dates tomorrow. I'll go read that Sewmuse article now. I'll shoot a couple more pictures tomorrow of the "jewelry" she has. Just read the article, so it must be one of the first ones of 1876. Now that is neat !

    Texas Jan
    Just went and looked again, the last patent date on mine is 1878, which lends to the idea that mine is 1881 or1882? Aren't those glass presser feet way cool? A couple of mine have fleabites in them too..but not around the needle hole, they're on the edge. I wonder how many have been tossed out in the trash because someone had no idea of what they were?
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

    http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

  4. #30274
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,510
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by sew wishful View Post
    Okay...now I need to ask...what do you do at TOGA's? There is one in MN that I might travel to, if the dates work out, but what happens there?
    I wish I could tell you Randa, I've never been to one. Some of the other ladies here have tho...I'm sure they'll be able to tell you!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

    http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

  5. #30275
    Senior Member Bennett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North TX
    Posts
    761
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
    DH and I went and picked up the WW8 that was on CL today. She is in really good shape and I am thrilled to pieces.

    Texas Jan
    That looks so much better than the CL ad pics! It has an elegant functional look to it. Can't wait to see what you do with it.
    I have a screw driver and YouTube--I can fix it!

  6. #30276
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,972
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by sew wishful View Post
    Okay...now I need to ask...what do you do at TOGA's? There is one in MN that I might travel to, if the dates work out, but what happens there?

    Some folks bring exchange blocks, their sewing or quilt projects to show off, and machines or parts to sell. There are folks showing off their new finds. Demonstrations on sewing projects and repairing machines.

    At Cathy's Gold country TOGA there was a raffle. Folks brought items to donate to the raffle: quilting books, patterns, magazines, sewing attachments. There has been demonstrations of different attachments and chain stitch machines.

    I presented a tutorial on making a very simple machine cover at one event; and at another event, I demonstrated my Standard's chain stitch attachments-or tried too.

    And I gaped at all the cool vintage machines.

  7. #30277
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    12,670
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
    DH and I went and picked up the WW8 that was on CL today. She is in really good shape and I am thrilled to pieces. Right now she is not turning, but has very little rust and probably needs a good oiling. She is older than my other WW8. Her Serial No is only 5 digits long---57153. The last Patent date on her is 1873. There is a concealed drawer in her top which had several glass feet and tools inside. On the back is a bar that controls the pressure to the pressure foot. Is not operated by a spring. The pressure foot lifter is completely outside the machine too. I will really check her out tomorrow, but after being in the car for over 4 hours to get her home, I am pooped out.
    My other WW8 serial number is 385288. How do these numbers compare to anyone else that has the WW8.

    Texas Jan
    Not much cool seems to turn up around here - I bet you are going to have a really fun time with that one!!!!
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

  8. #30278
    Senior Member sew wishful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NE Iowa
    Posts
    846
    Blog Entries
    6

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Some folks bring exchange blocks, their sewing or quilt projects to show off, and machines or parts to sell. There are folks showing off their new finds. Demonstrations on sewing projects and repairing machines.

    At Cathy's Gold country TOGA there was a raffle. Folks brought items to donate to the raffle: quilting books, patterns, magazines, sewing attachments. There has been demonstrations of different attachments and chain stitch machines.

    I presented a tutorial on making a very simple machine cover at one event; and at another event, I demonstrated my Standard's chain stitch attachments-or tried too.

    And I gaped at all the cool vintage machines.
    AaaHaa!! My biggest fear!!! I'll come home with more WANTS!!!
    And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28


    Randa

  9. #30279
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    I wish I could tell you Randa, I've never been to one. Some of the other ladies here have tho...I'm sure they'll be able to tell you!
    We all do a potluck and bring machines that have issues and need to be fixed or adjusted. We also bring machines just to demonstrate with or make something with. There are lectures on cleaning, repairing, and using the different attachments. People usually bring a hand crank so they can sew. People also bring machines, attachments to sell/trade. At one TOGA Cathy converted a few machines into hand cranks. But, mostly besides the oogling and awing, we get educated on the different machines! It is just a good time for everyone!

    Nancy

  10. #30280
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    12,670
    Blog Entries
    2
    TOGA sounds like a lot of fun. I wish there was something like that around here - so far it's just Iris and me in the shop fooling around with old machines.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.