Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-28-2012, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
I'll be over by the library today....think I'll stop in, cuz I love the quilt you made!!
When I was in the antique furniture restoration business(thanks for retirement) Vintage was at least 50 years and antique was 100 years. Only the age determined the classification and not the construction. But today the sellers have misused these term to their benefit to sell more. Beware of the words in the ad as rare, antique, vintage and collectable. If you are interested in antiques it must 100 years old and then condition condition willl determine the value. Remember sentimental has no value in the sale of antiques.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:25 PM

I am really not here to snobby but this is just the way it is. You can have an antique but if it is not in demand then it is not worth much unless it is wanted. A good example is the the VSM we as collectors are greating a demand and the results is the price of the machines is going up. Example is the the 221 FW look at the price of these now. $400. to$600
Old 02-28-2012, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Remember sentimental has no value in the sale of antiques.
I know!! It's only worth more if *I* am selling it!!!
Old 02-28-2012, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Jan I love the parlor cabinet with the Domestic machine. Really a nice looking cabinet.
Thanks Glenn. I figured you were still thinking about looking at Miriam's Legs. lol

Texas Jan
Old 02-28-2012, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Sharon, I was just in the Photos shop and saw the seam guide you have on your 99 HC. What brand is that seam guide and how does it stick to the bed? I have been afraid to stick anything to the bed's of my machines for fear the paint would be ruined? How do you like the seam guide? Have you removed and reattached it; and if so, is that easy to do?

Nancy
Hi Nancy,
Sorry I didn't see your posting until now. It screws on with the little screw that comes with it into the hole in the machine bed, it works great too; doesn't hurt the machine and removes easily too.
Sharon W.
The green seam guide is from: "houston street merchantile" Its called "seams perfect". http://www.houstonstmercantile.com/seams-perfect.aspx
Old 02-28-2012, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
Thanks Glenn. I figured you were still thinking about looking at Miriam's Legs. lol

Texas Jan
Maybe you were thinking about legs. My machine is a National. Not a Domestic. Here is a picture of the machine again with a picture of her owners manual. Does this tell anyone which machine she is???

Texas Jan
Attached Thumbnails full-machine-view.jpg   owners-manual.jpg  
Old 02-28-2012, 02:15 PM

Ok, I got confused sorry Jan, No I am not looking at Miriams legs she has not reduced the pic to post them yet.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:18 PM

I think we should be postings things about old sewing machines here. You ladies have me so rattled now I don't know what to do. Pat said I deserve what I get here.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

Tell Pat I wasn't looking at your drawers............. my legs are still in the car - but the legs are the high light of my day.... it's been a horrid day since then. MIL is in hospice and unresponsive and we can't get connected where we need to. I should write some in my new PDA about her some time. I just don't want to.

Oh the legs have a wood rod rather than a metal one - the cabinet was once red and now sort of white - what there is left of the wood. The machine is stick some how. The graduation tassel says 1988.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Tell Pat I wasn't looking at your drawers............. my legs are still in the car - but the legs are the high light of my day.... it's been a horrid day since then. MIL is in hospice and unresponsive and we can't get connected where we need to. I should write some in my new PDA about her some time. I just don't want to.

Oh the legs have a wood rod rather than a metal one - the cabinet was once red and now sort of white - what there is left of the wood. The machine is stick some how. The graduation tassel says 1988.
Sorry about you MIL and hope for the best. We will tlak about this later