Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-05-2012, 09:41 PM
Power Poster

YEAH! We need all the help we can get around here.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
~grin~ I just noticed the siggy too!! I'm still grinning over it....because I KNOW that's the majority of MY problems!
Most of the time when I buy a machine there is something wrong. Usually something someone could have fixed if they had taken a little time.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:30 PM

I don't like the powder coat as much as chrome, but I have more than one machine with no chrome left on the slide plates. I usually clean those pretty aggressively with the dremel, basically grinding down to bare metal. Then I polish. Takes a while, and I think the powder coat looks better. But I doubt that a home powder coating and bead blasting set up is in my future...
Old 03-05-2012, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
Blushing!!! I've learned a lot sitting next to Cathy, that's for sure! Glad the tutorial was helpful. Nice to know I'm on the right track, Glenn. Looking forward to being on the board with such nice people! Laura
Hi Laura!! Glad to see you here. Welcome!!
So, when are you going to post the rest of the machine with that beautiful decal on your blog? The anticipation is killing me. Are you planning to bring that machine to the Turlock TOGA this weekend? I would love to see it!!

Monica aka Vintagemotif

Last edited by vintagemotif; 03-05-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:12 PM

Charlee,

Not all of my training has been with Ray White, but a lot of my "formal" training has been. I have taken other classes, too. Also I have had a lot of "by the seat of my pants" learning.
I volunteer with a large organization, that among selling other things also sells vintage sewing machines. Through them I have serviced probably around a thousand machines over the past 15 years. We just finished this years big event and sold around 110 machines over a 6 week period. However, the past several years have been easier on me as I have only been the trouble shooter and only had to work on about 20 or so machines. Even with that experience I still make mistakes, and when I do they are real doozies. Don't ask!

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Cathy, it amazes me that someone would question your advice! The experience you have is tenfold that of anyone else I know, including my local SMG (I actually don't know how he's been in business all these years...I've had to teach HIM a few things, and I'm a novice! LOL)
How many classes have you taken? Are they all Ray White classes?
Old 03-05-2012, 11:15 PM

Miriam,

You may be a "seat of the pants technician", but I have read some real good advise from you. You have said and explained some things I'm not sure that I could have. Thank you.

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
As a seat of the pants technician, I had to learn to time a machine by trial and error. Mainly error. You just hit it on the sweet spot... Oh and here is a thing I put together a while back because we had so many people thinking their machine was out of timing. http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...l-t147275.html If somebody knows more that that PLEASE add to it. Some of it may be gone or out of date.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:27 PM

Laura,

Welcome! Glad to see you made it here. You will fit in perfectly.

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
Glad the tutorial was helpful. Nice to know I'm on the right track, Glenn. Looking forward to being on the board with such nice people! Laura
Old 03-05-2012, 11:58 PM

This one is for Miz Johnny.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]317750[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails screen-shot-2012-03-05-11.56.03-pm.png  
Old 03-06-2012, 03:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
That's the first one I've seen that I like. I want one..... LOL It should say New Home or Domestic rather than Singer....
Old 03-06-2012, 03:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
That's the first one I've seen that I like. I want one..... LOL It should say New Home or Domestic rather than Singer.... stupid computer............. It asks to leave page and then double posts.