Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3242 of 4379 FirstFirst ... 2242 2742 3142 3192 3232 3241 3242 3243 3252 3292 3342 3742 4242 ... LastLast
Results 32,411 to 32,420 of 43788

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    Miriam,

The top of the shank to the eye is the timing length and yes it is the same. But, the 15x1's longer tip will still be in the fabric (especially with thicker fabrics) when the feeddogs start moving and this will affect the tension and stitching. It can also hit the bobbin case. It is always better to use the correct needle. Please don't let anyone talk you into retiming the 206 series to take a regular needle. I know that this can be a controversial subject.

The tip could be shortened and resharpened, but I would not recommend it. It would be very difficult to make the reshaped tip just like the original such as shape, sharpness, in line with the long axis of the needle, etc.

Cathy
    Oh, I get it - feed dogs... I keep learning so much from that machine. I'm liking that Singer 319 machine better the more I use it. I borrowed a motor and foot control from a 99 I turned into a hand crank. The bobbin case had a LOT of burrs and occasionally the thread wants to stay under when I pull up the bobbin thread. After it is up is is ok. I should turn it over and prod around some more. Right now it is set for FM. I need to bring home the table it was in so I can really sew something. That table has a door in front. You flip the door open all the way to help prop the table I guess. In the front of the table there is a hole to reach in for changing the bobbin - so much easier to reach through the hole. I still need the end screw for the needle holder but unless I change the needle it seems to work ok - go figure.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

I got your message, and yes I will bring the spring! Are you talking about the spring/needle combo or the spring attachment? I didn't know you had a White Rotary! Why am I not surprised:>

Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    Candace,

Fantastic! Glad that the spring needle works for you.

I just tried another style darning spring on my White Rotary, works but the machine doesn't like it much. Probably need to have "the discussion" with my machine. You know the "you can easily become a parts machine" talk.
    Or I could blame the operator and practice more. <GGG>

I noticed on the picture that you posted the spring is over the needle clamp post. Slide (stretch) it over a little to the right to sit on the screw. That is one of the things that Monica did to make it work better.

Cathy

The only difference in the 15x1 and the 206x13 needle is in the tip. The top of the shank to the eye is the same.

Muv
    I agree. I think it is a finger guard. You can see that the lever for the presser foot is down, but if you watch one of the other Laga videos you will see a lady finish her sewing and pull the work out without lifting the lever. I think it is a finger guard to the left side of the needle and a fraction above the work. From what I can tell the material she is sewing (thin leather?) is firm and smooth, so so long as she is holding it down firmly it will not lift as the needle rises out of it with each stitch. It's free motion, but not quilting.

I found this video, along with Leah Day's videos, very useful before attempting FMQ on my 15K treadle. It showed the speed I needed to get the needle going at.

my 201 is my go to FMQ. Wonderful stitches. I use serger thread for quilting, it's a little lighter than regular thread. I want to build a BIIIIIG table for my spare 201 so that my quilt is supported on all sides, but for now i just cope. In case it helps anyone, when I teach people to FMQ I recommed that they write the alphabet with the thread. We all already know how to write our letters, and so it gives you the advantage of that part of the experience being automatic.

Cathy mentioned that her White didn't like FMQ. I've tried to use my White for that, and it did not like it. At all. So it may be a white thing. May be the carbon based unit, though. (duck and run)

Blog Entries
    Seems like some machine do better than others... Some feet work better than others.... some days the carbon based unit works better than others... I'm still learning the FM and loving it. I haven't tried my name yet - just scribbling the center of some denim roses to decorate a couple tote bags. I need to work up the nerve.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Here's a couple of pics of some of the smaller end FMQ I do. I need good visibility. The spring and the spring attachment I got from Cathy will both be excellent tools.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Candace,

Good pictures. The shank length will not make any difference in sewing. Different brands have differences in the shank length. I agree that it does look like it can make a difference in fitting the spring on the needle.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    The difference in the 206 x 13's size 12 and size 14 needles (and what was a bit tricky) is that the shank of the size 14 is a bit longer than the 12 and the needle length below the eye is also a smidge longer. Both of the above are 206 x 13's. The left is the 14, the right is the size 12. I was showing this to let you all see how the spring will fit a bit differently around the 14 needle.
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Candace,

How about both.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    I got your message, and yes I will bring the spring! Are you talking about the spring/needle combo or the spring attachment? I didn't know you had a White Rotary! Why am I not surprised:>
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Laura,

Probably the carbon based unit. I really think that is what the problem is with my White.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
    Cathy mentioned that her White didn't like FMQ. I've tried to use my White for that, and it did not like it. At all. So it may be a white thing. May be the carbon based unit, though. (duck and run)
    Cathy