Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3437 of 4350 FirstFirst ... 2437 2937 3337 3387 3427 3436 3437 3438 3447 3487 3537 3937 ... LastLast
Results 34,361 to 34,370 of 43493

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Quote Originally Posted by Kathie S. View Post
    I tried to download from this site and could not. The site said that I must first log into face book. I am not a member of facebook. Thank you for this suggestion. Kathie
    Kathie,
    You can find your manual here: http://www.singerco.com/accessories/instruction-manuals
    Free download.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jpete523 View Post
    I have a 1923 Singer 99K that I put a handcrank on for my GD and noticed while she was sewing the pressure foot pressure (is that redundant?) was loose. Did the usual visual inspection and when I opened the needle bar cover discovered there is no spring on the pressure bar! So ... does anyone have a spare spring they'd be willing to sell to me? Thanks!
    Jan,
    You can normally find your spring at Sew-Classic: http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Pres...675-170067.htm for $5.95. I just noticed her page said she was temporarily out of stock.
    Can't hurt to email her for ETA if no one here has a spare.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jpete523 View Post
    I have a 1923 Singer 99K that I put a handcrank on for my GD and noticed while she was sewing the pressure foot pressure (is that redundant?) was loose. Did the usual visual inspection and when I opened the needle bar cover discovered there is no spring on the pressure bar! So ... does anyone have a spare spring they'd be willing to sell to me? Thanks!
    I have a 1941 Singer 99 and thought I was missing the presser foot bar spring, but found the spring is actually enclosed inside of a metal tube that surrounds the presser foot bar, so there isn't a visible spring until you take it apart. If your spring is in the same location you can adjust the pressure with the knob screw on top of the machine. I do notice that when the presser foot is dropped it has a "flat" feel to it compared to some other machines which may be due to the fact that the presser foot isn't hinged so therefore isn't as springy. Of course you might be missing the spring after all---it's a very narrow, small spring compared to the ones typically visible on the outside of the presser foot bar.

I have a friend that asked me to download a manuel for her 221k. I went to the Singer site and they only have manuels for the 221. Are the manuels that same? I think that the Singer site might be down as I can not get
    into to it to download. Kathie
    They are the same, the K just means the machine was made in the Kilbowie,Scotland Singer plant.

Blog Entries
    Joe, thanks for suggesting Sew-Classic.

Treadlep, you are right, that spring is inside the metal tube on my 99. I had adjusted the knob screw but saw no results. After reading your post I removed that screw and poked on the rod and it barely moved. So I pulled the rod out and poked inside the tube with a dental pick. The spring felt like it was jammed, or caught, inside the tube, so I gently pushed and pulled at it until I felt movement. I replaced the rod and screw and now there is more pressure on the foot. I just wasn't happy with how much "play" the fabric had under the pressure foot and didn't think it was because the machine is being handcranked. Thank you for your help!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    I know what to lube Singer motors with and what to use with other motors. However how about the really ancient big round motors as used on converted treadle machines? The big round ones that pivot around under the arch when not in use?
    I'm working on one for jljack and have no experience with this kind. The lube ports look to be grease ports, but ....
    the bearing is a bronze bushing with a red felt seal on each end with a concave washer holding in place.

Grease ..... or oil?

I'm thinking oil, but am not sure.

Joe
    I have a small singer that big motor, do you supposed at one time it was a treadle? Bobbie

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Kathie,
    You can find your manual here: http://www.singerco.com/accessories/instruction-manuals
    Free download.

Joe
    Joe this is the site that must be down, as it will not open. Kathie

Joe this is the site that must be down, as it will not open. Kathie
    Kathie, it's gotta be something on your end. I had the site open and was downloading a manual for a 99K when I typed the post above. After that I downloaded a manual for a 4622A.

Joe

This looks very nice, but out of my budget right now. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/hsh/2998866034.html

So, I spent the day on my new to me Elna Supermatic and it pieces very nicely. I posted it a few pages back but here it is again. And guess what? I'm getting two more of them tomorrow! Isn't weird how they come at you in multiples! I've been wanting one for a while and now suddenly to have 3? :>
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image