Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4116 of 4413 FirstFirst ... 3116 3616 4016 4066 4106 4115 4116 4117 4126 4166 4216 ... LastLast
Results 41,151 to 41,160 of 44122

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

I'm not familiar with "Blogging" but I can vouch for Yahoo groups which are free. I see people use them for family reunions, Treadle On get togethers, and pretty much anything. I store Davis serial numbers, old newspaper articles, and pretty much anything Davis sewing machine related in a Yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DavisSewingMachine/
    Very simple setup.

There seem to me many manufactures which very little is known about and all one turns up in a google search is a paragraph and a few pictures. Not exactly a hotbed of research going on with sewing machines but a fascinating one.

Jon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
    I'm not familiar with "Blogging" but I can vouch for Yahoo groups which are free. I see people use them for family reunions, Treadle On get togethers, and pretty much anything. I store Davis serial numbers, old newspaper articles, and pretty much anything Davis sewing machine related in a Yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DavisSewingMachine/
    Very simple setup.

There seem to me many manufactures which very little is known about and all one turns up in a google search is a paragraph and a few pictures. Not exactly a hotbed of research going on with sewing machines but a fascinating one.

Jon
    The problem with the Yahoo Groups is that those photos don't show up in a google search(at least I haven't found that to be so). So for the newbie, the person just researching, or a person that doesn't wish to become a member of so many different yahoo vintage sewing machine groups, this can make it difficult to find information through a google search. Yes, it is wonderful that those free yahoo groups have a compile of photos, but it is a TOMB.

Agreed, though sometimes you gotta be like Lara Croft and check things out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
    Agreed, though sometimes you gotta be like Lara Croft and check things out.
    Haahaa too cute!

Blog Entries
    I never played Tomb Raider since I'm not into playing video games. I understand that the character, Lara, started out as a male....she is now well endowed...more than I'll ever be. I do like to travel the world; but for now, I'll just stick with quilting and blogging. Tombs will have to wait.
    I'm still chuckling. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    I have acquired a Singer 206K25. I looked up the Serial #EH148517 and saw that it was made in 1952 after March of which there were 1000 made. I was given it by a gentleman that just didn't want it anymore. It is in really pretty good shape for a machine that old. I am trying to decide if I want to keep it or sell it but I have no idea what they are worth in todays market. I would like to keep it but, I'm not sure if I will have the room for it after we move next year. I was hoping that someone could give me an idea of what it is worth. By the way I really do love this site. Anything you want to know you can find out on here. Thank Heavens for smart, smart women.
    Beth Dishong
    Grandma and Lover of All Things Fabric

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beth Dishong View Post
    I have acquired a Singer 206K25. I looked up the Serial #EH148517 and saw that it was made in 1952 after March of which there were 1000 made. I was given it by a gentleman that just didn't want it anymore. It is in really pretty good shape for a machine that old. I am trying to decide if I want to keep it or sell it but I have no idea what they are worth in todays market. I would like to keep it but, I'm not sure if I will have the room for it after we move next year. I was hoping that someone could give me an idea of what it is worth. By the way I really do love this site. Anything you want to know you can find out on here. Thank Heavens for smart, smart women.
    I recently bought a 206 - does zig zag and straight stitch - nice heavy duty machine - a real tank. It will last for many many more years unlike what you could buy new. It is worth what ever someone will pay - but not a whole lot... too bad. I see stuff on CL for a couple hundred and they sit forever.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

206 is a nice machine. Very heavy duty. It does take specialized needles but they are readily available.

I lucked into a fantastic find yesterday that I would like to tell you about. Here is the page with the pictures on it. Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines
    I found a Brother Opus that is NOS (new old Stock). That is right, it was never used. It still had a sticker on the slideplate and on the stop motion knob. They would have been worn off if it had been used at all. Especially the one on the slideplate. I also picked up a nice White Rotary too. Both were in cabinets, and both cabinets were in good condition too.
    I took a week or two off and my first day back I had two follow me home. Dare I say Oh Brother?
    ~G~

Vintagemotif/Monica,
    Katie Farmer's White picture albums were on Webshots. They decided to "fix" Webshots and ruined a good thing. I had my photos on Webshots and now I can't access them. The new website is "Smiles", it won't accept my user ID or password, so I've lost everything that was in my Web shots albums.
    Sharon