Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines

Blog Entries
    That Emdeko looks a lot like a Singer 6215 of that time period.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1150
Size:  1.56 MB
    Sorry for the poor photo, it's late and I didn't want to bother hauling out my good camera.

My Gimbels-badged 'Precision Built Deluxe' zigzag machine built in Japan.
    Has 'J-28' cast in the base.

After I unstuck and oiled it, it runs REALLY nice, unbelievably quiet. So quiet in fact, that when I first pressed the foot control, I thought that I must have left it in bobbin winder mode.

The machine was on the floor at the time because the cord is very short (it was originally in a cabinet) When I stooped down to look, I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw that the needle bar was in fact moving up and down!

It desperately needs a good exterior cleaning, and also a new belt and bobbin winder tire.

Does anyone know anything about this machine?
    I can't seem to find any information about it. Plenty of very similar models, but not this exact one.

Presumably, it must be very rare, so I'll sell it for a million bucks on ebay and retire
    Last edited by Jamesbeat; 06-06-2014 at 08:41 PM.

Blog Entries
    yeah right James. I've posted links to generic manuals in the past. I was able to come up with a manual from White. I found it by going to Singerco.com/manuals. At the bottom there is a box. I put in w2134 and it came up with a free manual. It should be close enough for you to be able to use the machine. Yes there are some variations but it should be intuitive enough for you to use the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    That Emdeko looks a lot like a Singer 6215 of that time period.
    You're right. It does. Nonetheless, I'm glad I managed to get a full refund from eBay, considering the seller told me it was working perfectly. Now I can invest it getting her running.

By the way, I'm drooling over all the beautiful metal in here!

Posted this in the VSMS before I found this thread. Cut and repasting here:

Hey all, new here.

I usually fix motorcycles and computer servers, this is my first sewing machine My wife's favorite purse was disintegrating and hanging on by a thread and gave me some incentive to get this sewing machine up and running that I bought last year for $20. (I liked it because I thought it looked a bit like Ironman) It is a Japanese De Luxe model MSAZ.

The belt was cracked and coming apart, the stick length selector was seized and the rest worked by hand with some effort. I oiled all the points and cleaned everywhere it needed and worked the oil in and now the thing spins effortlessly with no resistance, even with the bad belt the thing runs great and whisper quiet.

Stich selector took some effort to fix. There was a bolt way up inside the case only accessible from the bottom that was torqued down and why it wouldn't turn, It also looks like someone hammered it back together and slightly bent the cam. I found out the hard way that if you pull this piece out it will not go back together easily unless you push the reverse button and it'll drop back in. With that fixed everything is working perfectly.

I'm impressed with the quality of the internals and it sews great, effortless stitching through 8 layers of denim to fix my wifes purse straps. It only does straight and zig-zag stitches, nothing fancy but as both of us haven't sewn much in 20 years it's all we'd ever need for the occasional repair and hemming. I do like that you can drop the feed dogs and set stitch length to 0 to do cool stuff by hand though.

Anyway I'd like to find out a little bit more about it, when it was made and by who if possible. Any info would be helpful.

I've got some more pics here and a couple videos of it running here

Welcome aboard LynnxSS. Take a look underneath the machines for numbers beginning with JA. The JA number can tell you who made the machine. Also some manufacturers either stamped or cast their names on some parts. You may get lucky there too.
    You can post pictures directly from your computer by clicking the square icon that's third from the right above where you type. A picture may help the members here identify your machine. Many machines of different brands are just the same other than some of the trim pieces.
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

Thanks Rodney, I see now how a cam could work. I think finding one will be next to impossible though. Should not be too hard to make some, there is only 1 follower.

I've checked again for any JA marks anywhere and don't see any, they might be under this other serial number tag that is riveted on. I also checked under the motor mount where someone earlier on this thread found theirs. This is the only number I see anywhere on the machine, 52901:

I have my pics hosted on google, are they not showing up?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ahh I opened this thread in another browser and saw the pics do not show up after all When I copied and pasted from the other thread they did not get done right. Here they are:

And the link to additional pics and a few videos here.

Welcome to the group. JA #s will be somewhere under the lip or on the bottom of the machine cast into the head. That # on the plate is the serial # which is useless on a Japanese machine because there's no records to look it up. Very few machines don't have some kind of marks.
    As far as making a cam, you would need to have a right one to copy or it probably won't work. Cams can be a real crap shoot. There were tons of different cams, sometimes a manufacturer used more than one style over the years, and most cam boxes aren't marked for what machine they go to. The best thing is to find a pic of a machine like yours that has it's cams so you know what to look for. Not always possible. The only other way is to buy cam sets until you get one that works in your machine.

Cari

Blog Entries

I've looked over the whole machine inside and out and do not see a JA mark anywhere, There is a very small S casting mark on the top next to the hand wheel and thats all I can find. I wonder if there are JA stamps under that other serial number tag riveted on, if it was screwed on I would look underneath. No identifying marks on any of the components either other than White on the motor.

Looking closer at where the cams fit with the machine in use I think it would not be too hard to make a few simple ones that make half circles and triangles. I'm used to making motorcycle and antique hit and miss engine parts. To make a cam what I would do is fit a thin cardboard disk under the cam follower and then just tape a piece of pencil lead on the follower, luckily this machine only has one, if the machine had multiple cam followers it would be too complicated to make a cam by hand. Run the machine and do the stitch you want by hand and it will trace out what the cam should look like. Take the cardboard pattern and make a cam out of a bit of hardwood or something that is easy to work with and make adjustments with and try it. When you get it to how you like you can copy the wood pattern out of something more durable. This is just a disk so should be easy enough to just cut a piece out of flat stock, for my engine parts I have to make a mold and cast it out of aluminum. EDIT: Whatever you make the cam out of needs to be softer than the cam follower so that part does not wear down and eventually throw everything off.
    Last edited by LynxSS; 09-18-2014 at 08:06 AM.

Cams do turn up. If you can identify other machines that are the same basic design as yours that have cams with them it will give you a good idea of what you are after. We've started to build a database for cams and the machines that they fit in "The Cam Thread" just for this reason. You're nowhere near being alone in having a machine with no cams that fit.
    Watching you build one would be interesting but realistically patience and persistence in searching Ebay ads will eventually get you a set-probably with far less effort.
    Rodney

Lynn: I just went through this thread. On page 17 there's a Universal that came out of the same factory as your Sewmatic. It's a little newer judging by the styling but you might be able to contact that machine's owner for for info.
    Rodney

Blog Entries
    Not all Japanese machines have that JA stamping - No need to pry up the serial number - it would be more visible than that. It could be anywhere on the casting including the metal parts on the bottom of the machine. I've seen Brother stamped inside the fly wheel on an Electro Grand. There is no rhyme or reason. I posted the link to the "Dark Underside" above. You might learn some there, too.

I like that one...nice machine!

Got this yesterday for free. It has been in a basement for over 30 years. I don't think the machine was used very much. It is a little dirty inside and out but will require minimal cleaning. Will post more pictures after cleanup.
    Maria

Remington sewing machine

Hi there! I'm new to this...so please bear with me. I got this sewing machine from my grandparents a couple years ago. They said it works, but I can't get it to work. The wheel turns, but the needle doesn't move up and down. I don't think that it has been used in 20 or maybe even 30 years. The motor sparks and smokes, but from what I've heard that isn't a big deal with the older machines. I was just hoping to see if anyone can tell me anything about it. I don't have a manual for it, but would love to use it.
    Thanks for any help!Name:  1412454910367.jpg
Views: 980
Size:  1.29 MB

Blog Entries
    check the clutch knob. On the right hand side there is a big wheel. In the wheel is a knob. Turn the knob to tighten. Somewhere on this thread is a generic manual and it would take you a long ways. Read through it.

Welcome Missykay!
    That one is a beauty! I love the colors. Check the chrome knob on the handwheel. Make sure it's turned all the way away from you. It could be as simple as the machine is in bobbin winding mode. If it's in the right position and still doesn't turn, chances are the machine is stuck from sitting so long. It's nothing a little sewing machine oil and patience won't fix. Check the stickies on cleaning and maintaining these old machines. Make sure to stay away from harsh cleaners. Some will harm the finish.
    Rodney

EDIT: Miriam beat me to it.

Thanks for the replies...I tried the clutch knob and checked the bobbin winder and still no luck. I'm going to try oiling but will have to find the right oil. What do you suggest cleaning it with? A little soap and water or just a cloth? There is a lot of dusty grime to clean up.

Sewing machine oil inside and out. Wipe it down with some sewing machine oil. Other oils are too heavy or can gum up or both. If it has plastic gears, no oil on those. Some plastics are sensitive to oil and can be damaged by it.
    Take the top off and oil everything that is metal and looks like it should move. Do the same to the bottom and inside the nose. Take the bobbin and bobbin case out. Most machines it's easy to remove the hook too and a lot of times you will find a thread jam behind there making things stick.
    With a little time and patience you'll get it freed up. Try gently rocking the wheel back and forth. Any movement is good and will help the oil soak in. It didn't freeze up overnight, you can expect it to take some time to get unstuck.
    Rodney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Sewing machine oil inside and out. Wipe it down with some sewing machine oil. Other oils are too heavy or can gum up or both. If it has plastic gears, no oil on those. Some plastics are sensitive to oil and can be damaged by it.
    Take the top off and oil everything that is metal and looks like it should move. Do the same to the bottom and inside the nose. Take the bobbin and bobbin case out. Most machines it's easy to remove the hook too and a lot of times you will find a thread jam behind there making things stick.
    With a little time and patience you'll get it freed up. Try gently rocking the wheel back and forth. Any movement is good and will help the oil soak in. It didn't freeze up overnight, you can expect it to take some time to get unstuck.
    Rodney
    Dead on, Rodney. Could it have a broken gear inside?

I couldn't say without looking. It's possible but most likely it's just stuck from dried oil and sitting. My experience with the two I have that have broken gears is one the gear disintegrated when it let go so the top half turns freely and the bottom doesn't move. The other one has a cracked hook drive gear and that one will turn but hangs up at the crack.
    That machine looks old enough I'm guessing it's all metal inside so the chances of a broken gear are smaller.
    Rodney

Blog Entries
    Ok I looked back up there - I doubt if it has a broken gear. If the clutch is engaged and it doesn't turn there no doubt is some dried up oil in a shaft somewhere. It can take time for the oil to work it's way into the shaft and get it to free up. Sometimes heat helps move the oil into the cracks. I'm thinking judging by the body look of the machine that it was made by Brother. Some times you can tell by the stampings under the machine. You might be able to get an owner's manual by contacting Brother hhmmm maybe it was Janome... Anyway some times you can get manuals from the manufacture.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast