Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines

Blog Entries
    Front view of Electro Grand:
    Name:  electro 003.JPG
Views: 1611
Size:  129.4 KB
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Can't help with your problem other than to give your machine a name. Bambi. LOL
    Sweet Caroline

Maybe someone here can help - I talked to my daughter this evening. She was given a Dressmaker machine. labeled Standard Sewing Equipment Corp., New York Yamazaki S. M. CO LTD, Osaka, Japan. The model number is SWM-1000, serial #21219. She would like to get any information possible, as there is no manual. She mentioned a lever that looks like it moves the needle position. I am wondering if this would be a zigzag machine.

Editted: She discovered there is no bobbin in the bobbin case. Any idea the type that might work?
    Last edited by Quilt Mom; 12-25-2013 at 07:55 PM.
    Quilt Mom

Going through life one stitch at a time

A picture would help. The sewing machine will take a class 15 bobbin.
    Sweet Caroline

Quote Originally Posted by Quilt Mom View Post
    Maybe someone here can help - I talked to my daughter this evening. She was given a Dressmaker machine. labeled Standard Sewing Equipment Corp., New York Yamazaki S. M. CO LTD, Osaka, Japan. The model number is SWM-1000, serial #21219. She would like to get any information possible, as there is no manual. She mentioned a lever that looks like it moves the needle position. I am wondering if this would be a zigzag machine.

Editted: She discovered there is no bobbin in the bobbin case. Any idea the type that might work?
    Here is a link to one that was sold on eBay:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-V...p2047675.l2557

It is a zigzag machine, but I don't see any lever that would adjust the needle position.

As for a manual, here is a link to a manual for a Dressmaker SWA-2000 that looks just like it, and would likely work for your daughter's machine.
    http://www.sewingmanuals.com/Sewing_...ess_2000i1.jpg
    Last edited by mlmack; 12-26-2013 at 10:26 AM.
    Mark

Thanks so much for the help.
    Quilt Mom

Going through life one stitch at a time

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Front view of Electro Grand:
    Name:  electro 003.JPG
Views: 1611
Size:  129.4 KB

cant cut & paste on phone very well, will later. Brother had a "B" button, which it needed to be in to change stitch selector. maybe...
    Jim

"What do you mean worrying doesn't help? Everything I ever worried about...never happened!"
    quote by __________ I forget who.

Blog Entries
    have you found a manuel for this one? I j ust got one too, mine is a model "J" and I cant figure out how to thread it..............any help would really be appreicated .....this one is a dark brown/burgandy color........
    Quote Originally Posted by sap View Post
    right now I'm working on a Free Westinghouse, its black n the wiring is baaaad can't even try it out the shape it's in. I was wondering if it was clone or made in Japan. In the next few days I'll try to post picture of it.
    Judy, retired RN, alias 4 dogs and in the mountains of western North Carolina.

Someday you will be a memory - try to make it a good one .

Blog Entries
    I just got one of these....so pretty....but terrible wires, exposed wires in three places.....beat up case.....but I sure do like the color and cant wait until I can actually sew with it.......did you find a manuel anywhere?

I have a pink Atlas with the same decals as your pink Brother. Mine is very heavy. I've seen one very much the same but light weight. Go figure.
    Judy, retired RN, alias 4 dogs and in the mountains of western North Carolina.

Someday you will be a memory - try to make it a good one .

Name:  P2280042 small.JPG
Views: 2992
Size:  1.46 MB
    Hello Everyone! I'm new to the world of vintage sewing machines but as I understand this is the place for me and my machine. I got my White Domestic 761 Automatic ZZ/SS (free) from my sister and popped it in a $40 stand off of kijiji. I heard from a fellow vintage machine enthusiast that it was made in 1954 in japan but there seem to be mixed opinions about that online. It has the large letters "GNS" cast into the bottom and "JZ 51637" on the side, if anyone out there is interested in finding more about it. I've been teaching myself to sew on it for 2 years, I love how simple it is and easy to find the problem if something goes wrong. It has a good motor on it that will push through almost anything. It was defiantly worth getting serviced and i hope it outlives me.
    I love seeing all the old machines on this thread. I look at all 19 pages. Does anyone know of a database online where you can see old machines? Or maybe a good book on the market to help a young enthusiast get her bearings?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pamibell View Post
    I love seeing all the old machines on this thread. I look at all 19 pages. Does anyone know of a database online where you can see old machines? Or maybe a good book on the market to help a young enthusiast get her bearings?
    This might just be it...
    Very neat machine - I bet you are having a good time sewing on it, too.
    Last edited by miriam; 02-28-2014 at 11:18 AM.

Neat looking machine, pamibell.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Quote Originally Posted by pamibell View Post
    Nice machine. Web searches on old machines are what led me to this board. I have an old Morse Fotomatic. There is a yahoo group called vintagejapansewingmachines which has a lot of pictures in its files as well as a number of manuals. You may not always get responses to your questions in the yahoo groups, but they are a good source of information and pictures. I think it's difficult to date the Japanese machines because many were badged with multiple names and records weren't kept on them. There are some people around that seem to know which companies made which machines. Toyota made a lot of them. I also belong to yahoo groups for Elna, Necchi, Pfaff and Singer. There are groups for vintage Brother, Viking/Husqvaarna, and others but I haven't joined them as I don't have their machines.

Enjoy your machine. There are a lot of good old machines out there. You could ask about people's favorites and get dozens of responses.

Blog Entries
    You could ask about people's favorites and get dozens of responses.[/QUOTE]

I am somewhat picky about machines... BUT there are more Japanese vintage machines I like than dislike. I can tell you if it has plastic I dislike it BUT there are a couple I have with all metal that I dislike, too. Both of them are the same model Goodhousekeeper machines. The funny thing is that other Goodhousekeeper machines I REALLY like. I think Joe has one of those same style goodhousekeeper machines and doesn't like his either. I also like the machines with disks. I like the machines that have a centered needle - however - if that was all I had around I would rather have an old machine with a left hand needle than a new plastic wonder.

There are some pictures at the Needlebar wiki. http://needlebar.org/nbwiki/index.ph...Museum_Archive
    It's not complete by any stretch but it's there.
    Anastasia - I like to sew square things.

NapaJohn directed me to this board
    I just got a Morse Lightweight yesterday and have just did a quick cleaning
    I posted on the general vintage section so here is a link if you would like to see Maeve the Morse
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...t243411-2.html
    Cathie in Ut
    Who tends to be like a bird who is distracted by sparkly and shiny things!

Here's one that I recently won on GW. A beautiful, aquamarine blue and pale turquoise gem, in very nice condition. Unfortunately, it's had its badge ripped off. (GASP!) The poor thing has been deflowered! Who would do such a thing? Does anyone recognize this sweetie? It has a hinged bobbin plate, vert. bobbin, no ZZ. Plaque in lower right reads, "Super Deluxe Precision Sewing Machine." There is a serial number, but it doesn't have JA in front of it. I'd love to find the missing badge...I know, like a needle in a haystack.

Thanks,
    Cindy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I have seen a few with no badge. I assumed they never got a badge ever since I found one with a badge on a wire in the case.

I have seen a few with no badge. I assumed they never got a badge ever since I found one with a badge on a wire in the case.
    Oh...I never thought of that. How sad...You mean that they were possibly machines waiting to be given a badge? Kinda like being in the sewing machine orphanage, or SM purgatory? Hummm...well, it has 2 holes drilled in it and some flaked paint around the area where the badge should be. My thoughts were that it had a really cool name and someone thought it would be fun to pry it off and hang it on their bedroom door, or car mirror.
    ~Cindy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tropit View Post
    Oh...I never thought of that. How sad...You mean that they were possibly machines waiting to be given a badge? Kinda like being in the sewing machine orphanage, or SM purgatory? Hummm...well, it has 2 holes drilled in it and some flaked paint around the area where the badge should be. My thoughts were that it had a really cool name and someone thought it would be fun to pry it off and hang it on their bedroom door, or car mirror.
    ~Cindy
    your theory would hold water...

It would be hard to identify what the badged name was, since a lot of those Japanese machines had different badges for the same style of machine. Could have been a White, Universal, or one of a few others.

Nice looking machine, though, even without the badge.
    Mark

Check out post 125 on page 13 in this thread. I don't know that it helps with the badge but I'd be willing to bet it was made by the same people that made that Brother. Are there any markings under the machine?
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Check out post 125 on page 13 in this thread. I don't know that it helps with the badge but I'd be willing to bet it was made by the same people that made that Brother. Are there any markings under the machine?
    Rodney
    Some times it is those underneath markings that tell you much - some times not so much. Link: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...e-t207416.html

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Rodney
    Yup...looks very similar. Thanks. I'll get the machine out later today and have another look at the underside. I don't think I'll ever know what name was on the badge. I'll keep searching in images online though. Who knows...it might turn up. The joy is in the hunt.

Maybe I'll have a custom, enameled name made for it... "CINDY" or "TROPIT" or something much more clever. I think that you can have them made up reasonably cheap. I've seen companies that make them for trade show premiums. (I may have to buy a 100 of them though...LOL.) Or, perhaps I'll find a nice badge on FleaBay that comes close to fitting it.

~ Cindy

Cindy,

I've seen pictures of some that were badged "Sewmor" and "Dressmaker" that look a lot like that one. There is also this one currently listed but not exactly the same: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/hsd/4348491148.html

I've read somewhere--I think in the yahoo group--that during the years of production, the badged machines were sent to the dealers without badges and then the dealers badged their machines. One person posted they had been a dealer/repairman and had a drawer full of badges that were never used.

Good luck on your search.

John

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast