Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines

Hi Milmack. I might be able to help you with the bobbin winder issue. If it is not seized up and you can remove it from the machine, get your oil, preferably Tri-Flow oil, or what you have. Put the oil in the oiling hole and on where the chrome meets the paint on the spool side AND on the wheel side. Get some paper-towels and a variable speed drill. Now if it is seized up you need to pop out the spring that is in the shaft by using a needle into the tiny little hole it will release. Push it into the inside of that shaft and slide it out with a small screwdriver and put it in a safe place. Put a small screwdriver in the slot it came out of and work it back and forth. This will give you a lot of leverage. When it is moving a bit you can go on to the next part.

If it is moving, Put the part that holds the bobbin in the chuck of your drill. Hold on to the bracket part so the bobbin winder can spin in the bracket. Oil it and slowly spin the drill. Keep the paper towels handy because black crud is going to come out of it. Keep doing this and wiping excess crud until it runs clear. By that time it should be freely spinning. Wipe it good, re-install it on the machine, and re-install the spring. It always works well for me.
    Love the Nicotine comment!
    ~G~

Quote Originally Posted by mlmack View Post
    Here is a couple that I have picked up recently.

White 765. It was part of some experiment that involved saturating the machine with nicotine.

American Home (ZigZag) 3346. Great shape except for a sticky bobbin winder.

Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    Hi Milmack. I might be able to help you with the bobbin winder issue. If it is not seized up and you can remove it from the machine, get your oil, preferably Tri-Flow oil, or what you have. Put the oil in the oiling hole and on where the chrome meets the paint on the spool side AND on the wheel side. Get some paper-towels and a variable speed drill. Now if it is seized up you need to pop out the spring that is in the shaft by using a needle into the tiny little hole it will release. Push it into the inside of that shaft and slide it out with a small screwdriver and put it in a safe place. Put a small screwdriver in the slot it came out of and work it back and forth. This will give you a lot of leverage. When it is moving a bit you can go on to the next part.

If it is moving, Put the part that holds the bobbin in the chuck of your drill. Hold on to the bracket part so the bobbin winder can spin in the bracket. Oil it and slowly spin the drill. Keep the paper towels handy because black crud is going to come out of it. Keep doing this and wiping excess crud until it runs clear. By that time it should be freely spinning. Wipe it good, re-install it on the machine, and re-install the spring. It always works well for me.
    Love the Nicotine comment!
    ~G~
    It spins, but it requires a bit of force. I'll keep up with the oil, and go to the drill if need be.

Thanks for the tips!
    Mark

Blog Entries
    LOL I love that gold nicotine machine... Are you SURE it is gold???
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    LOL I love that gold nicotine machine... Are you SURE it is gold???
    Lol. I think so. The "White" badge used to be the color of the machine.

I still have a ways to go, but it was really gross when I got it.
    Mark

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mlmack View Post
    Lol. I think so. The "White" badge used to be the color of the machine.

I still have a ways to go, but it was really gross when I got it.
    There is something truly unique about that machine. Not just the color. It is so cool to see so many of these odd Japanese machines all on here. Thanks everybody. Keep the pics of the Japanese zig zaggers and straight stitch machines coming!!!

There is another place for the ones that do the fancy stitches. Those machines have camstacks or take disks/cams. http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t207880.html

We also have 15 clone pictures. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...p-t164361.html How fun is is to look at all the cool pictures!!!

We newbies learn so much from these type threads. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    You aren't the only one learning from these type threads. Did you find the wall paper Grant made? I have it on my computer.

Oops maybe I should have posted my new machine here! I just got it for 10 dollars. It's a lovely two tone green. I love it!! Dressmaker 960. Wish I had the manual. I actually did a mini check on it before I bought it. I'm learning so much from all of you, thank you!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Never met a scrap of fabric or vintage sewing machine I didn't like!
    Many a lost and lonely vintage machine has found a home with me, 26 and------ uh oh lost count, who is counting anyway!

Susan

Blog Entries
    Somewhere on here is a generic manual. At least there is that much. it may be buried so here is a link:
    http://www.dontai.com/wp/images/imperial-535-manual.pdf

You aren't the only one learning from these type threads. Did you find the wall paper Grant made? I have it on my computer.
    No, point me to it, please. Edit-Duh I see the link you posted. ADD is a terrible syndrome. Another edit - I'm completely lost. Ron, take a breath, count to ten, reboot and pay attention.
    Last edited by Vridar; 06-18-2013 at 03:41 PM.

Thank you so much Miriam!!!
    Many a lost and lonely vintage machine has found a home with me, 26 and------ uh oh lost count, who is counting anyway!

Susan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vridar View Post
    No, point me to it, please. Edit-Duh I see the link you posted. ADD is a terrible syndrome.
    It is either here on this thread or on the one with the fancy stitches and then on the 15 clone pages - look for Grant's post about wallpaper - I put links to those threads on page 13 above.

It is either here on this thread or on the one with the fancy stitches and then on the 15 clone pages - look for Grant's post about wallpaper - I put links to those threads on page 13 above.
    Here are the two I have done for Quilting Board.
    ~G~

Name:  Vintage collage.r1.jpg
Views: 2861
Size:  622.1 KB

Name:  line.collage.half.half.jpg
Views: 1752
Size:  1.28 MB

OMG! All those machine together have me drooling. Here is my Viscount a friend gave me. As you can see, she's missing the needle plate that opens to the front, was probably hinged. What I need is to find a common name brand that has the same plate so that Jennie at Sew-Classic can find it for me.

It measures 3 1/4 inch wide and had the screws evenly spaced on each side, not offset. It measures 5 inches from front to back. Strange, it has a screw hole on the machine behind the needle where something went. Caroline S has a Brother 280 that looks similiar. The 1977 Kenmore 158.13571, jlm5419. the Stitchmaster, grant 15clone.

Why am I obsessed with returning her to working condition? Uh, do I really need to explain that to this group?

Last edited by redmadder; 06-19-2013 at 04:35 AM.
    Life is made up of bits and pieces. You won't know how it'll turn out till its done.

Quote Originally Posted by redmadder View Post
    OMG! All those machine together have me drooling. Here is my Viscount a friend gave me. As you can see, she's missing the needle plate that opens to the front, was probably hinged. What I need is to find a common name brand that has the same plate so that Jennie at Sew-Classic can find it for me.

It measures 3 1/4 inch wide and had the screws evenly spaced on each side, not offset. It measures 5 inches from front to back. Strange, it has a screw hole on the machine behind the needle where something went. Caroline S has a Brother 280 that looks similiar. The 1977 Kenmore 158.13571, jlm5419. the Stitchmaster, grant 15clone.

Why am I obsessed with returning her to working condition? Uh, do I really need to explain that to this group?
    Redmadder, I am glad that you are getting this machine going again. Thanks for the comment btw. What you need to be careful of is the feed dog holes in the needleplate itself. They need to line up with the feed dogs. That back screw hole just holds the back of the plate in place so it doesn't flip up or slide out. I think the needle plate on this machine "floats" in that opening. I don't think it is hinged. The slideplate has two little tabs on it and they go under the needle plate. Many of these machines they are the same. I almost want to say that most, are the same. You should be able to find the right one. You might want to find a sewing repair shop that has been around for a while and call them and see if they have any doner machines. Take the machine in and see if they can match them up for you. Good Luck to you.
    ~Grant~

Alas, all such shops have closed here. Calhoun, Adairsville, Rome, Cartersville and I think we need a passport to go to Atlanta. That may just be a local assumption. If not for the internet we'd be in the dark ages here. But thanks for the advice. If this one didn't run so sweetly I'd transplant her motor to the 556 New Home. May anyway if I don't find a plate for her. Thanks again.
    Life is made up of bits and pieces. You won't know how it'll turn out till its done.

Blog Entries

The picture does not come up on my computer. Probably some bug or something on my end... I wish I could see it. I have some derelict machines...

Those are some nice additions to this thread. :-)

Miriam, if you pm me, maybe I could send the picture that way?

Blog Entries
    Miriam, if you pm me, maybe I could send the picture that way?
    I sent a pm

Here are my two blue Japanese machines. This one I saw online and I had to have it. These machines look like cars to me, I now totally get car enthusiasts obsession with vintage cars and parts!!! I never understood before but I do now,lol

Susan

My second blue vintage Japanese I bought in a quilt shop in Buffalo NY. It was totally serviced and ready to sew, a bargain at $30 dollars. I use it to paper piece and I LOVE it!!

Susan

Blog Entries
    Sideways, those machines are both Japanese 15 clones. Here is a link: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...p-t164361.html for more info.

Oops sorry wrong thread, thanks for the link Miriam!

Susan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
    Oops sorry wrong thread, thanks for the link Miriam!
    it can be confusing. Those machines are made in Japan. If you have not seen the 15 clone link you would think they are on the right thread. There is a ton of info on the 15 clone thread though. I just love the video Muv made. The clones thread left to right. (Some of the Singer 15s thread right to left.) You did get a bargain at $30. I can't buy them, clean them up and adjust them for $30, re-sell and make anything ...

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast