Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines >

Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines

Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines

Old 11-06-2022, 08:26 AM

Welcome to Quilting Board, Slsweets22. There is a manual available at https://res.cloudinary.com/singer-se...-305-old-x.pdf It is not the greatest, but it is free. Have you seen http://www.doubleveil.net/zssmp/tz17.htm Unfortunately, the link he gave for a better manual is no longer a good link. Be sure to read all the way through, as there was something Zorba found out later that would have been helpful.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 11-07-2022, 10:34 AM

Interesting read on Zorba's site. Now I know what the controls and dials do! Thanks Janey.
Old 11-10-2022, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by JoeJr View Post
Welcome to the QuiltingBoard! What a great looking ZZ machine. I will admit to some curiosity about the function of a couple of those adjusters.
I’m also curious! I know the lower right knob and lever are stitch length and reverse, respectively. Top left lever is the autoZigZag, obviously. The other two, I think relate to the cams and/or stitch width of the ZZ.

Old 11-10-2022, 10:28 AM

Janey-
Zorba’s site has been helpful, contacted him about finding a power source, when I first got my machine.

Thanks for the link for the manual!

SLSweets
Old 11-15-2022, 05:55 PM

Default Help

This is my grandma sewing machine, I don’t have the instructions book. Do any of you know something about it?
Attached Thumbnails 75a3d286-8c8b-4a99-b400-e19b9acfd4d7.jpeg  
Old 11-15-2022, 07:05 PM

Welcome to Quilting Board, marineandi. I have never ordered from etsy, but I think that the manual at https://www.etsy.com/listing/8637761...other-opus-211 would work for you. In the meantime, there are some threading instructions at http://web.archive.org/web/201508180...ng_diagram.htm

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

ETA. I found a couple others but when I researched the companies I found that they had an "F" rating with BBB. So be very careful who you order from.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 11-15-2022 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-15-2022, 08:33 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by marineandi View Post
This is my grandma sewing machine, I don’t have the instructions book. Do any of you know something about it?
I don't know anything about this machine other than it is clearly beautiful and was obviously well-cared for. I would be surprised to learn that it isn't a very high quality machine as so many of these "badged" machines were.

Is there a number stamped into the base of the machine, someplace underneath? If so, it can perhaps be looked up and at least the manufacturer might be identified.

I suspect that you won't really need an instruction manual specific to this machine, I would think that pretty much any manual for a machine of this generation would shed enough light on how to operate it. It's a very straight forward machine. It has a needle positioning control, left, centre and right, a drop feed control to lower the feed dogs and options for straight stitch, zig-zag and perhaps a blind stitch setting.

The large dial also seems to have patterns printed on it. It may be that these would be built-in embroidery stitches.

Experiment with the controls and you'll soon learn pretty much everything that would have been in the instruction manual.

Congrats on having this beautiful family heirloom.
Old 11-15-2022, 09:21 PM

Default Thank you

Thank you for replying, I’m sending the serial number and label of the sewing machine. I believe it used to have its own sewing table, but this is what was granted to me after Grandma passed away. She was great at creating all kinds of dressing designs for all of us. I miss her. She taught me the art of sewing as a child
Old 11-15-2022, 09:37 PM

Default Serial number

J-A-29
the label shows
Bradford
model 7788. -7788A
Made in Japan

sorry I forgot how to upload the pictures hahaha. Thank you
Old 11-15-2022, 10:34 PM

JA - 29 is listed in one of the resources as having been made by Brother. I wouldn't be surprised that it was all metal, with few if any plastic parts. Likely will last a few more generations if kept oiled and cleaned.

Yes, it would have fit into a cabinet or sewing table. Very likely it can also be put into a standard carry case. Lots of choices available for carry cases including some with a base that the machine sits in.