Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines

That one I'm not even going to guess who made it. I think if it was Brother Cari would be in here too. I did see the same machine recently on Portland's Craig's List IIRC.
    I own a couple Remingtons but not sewing machines.
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    That one I'm not even going to guess who made it. I think if it was Brother Cari would be in here too. I did see the same machine recently on Portland's Craig's List IIRC.
    I own a couple Remingtons but not sewing machines.
    Rodney
    I've seen a couple Remingtons built by Brother but I don't think this one is. Nothing about it screams Brother to me. It is a cool looking machine though and I think you're right about getting it to free up. Though I'd get the top off of it and start with rubbing alcohol.

Cari

If Rubbing Alcohol is used KEEP IT AWAY FROM PAINTED SURFACES!!! Care has to be taken that it does not get on the paint. It will damage it.
    ~Grant~

Good call Grant, I should have been more specific. I would clean the insides of the machine with alcohol to start the freeing up process, then use sewing machine oil.

Cari

Quote Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
    Good call Grant, I should have been more specific. I would clean the insides of the machine with alcohol to start the freeing up process, then use sewing machine oil.

Cari
    I do use Rubbing Alcohol on certain things. I put it on a Q-Tip to control where it goes. I got some wood handled ones like you see in medical offices. They are 6" long and hold up better than paper ones.
    On gears, a wire bush is quite useful. Metal gears need grease. Just about everything else needs oil. Oil where you see two metal parts moving in a joint. Also in any oil holes. They don't have screw threads inside of them. Wipe off the excess. If you can find Tri-Flow oil, it is the best IMHO. It works faster on seized up machines than Singer oil.
    Those are nice looking machines Maria and Missykay. It makes me feel good to know someone is giving them both some love.
    ~Grant~

Ok...Thank you. I was trying to find some gears that may be locked up, but I don't know where there would be any on the underside. Should I take that faceplate off? The screws are really tight and I don't want to risk breaking or stripping them. The top is really in good shape, there's not a lot of dust in there so I'm pretty sure that its locked up on the underside. Name:  20141006_112322.jpg
Views: 1480
Size:  1.10 MB

Quote Originally Posted by missykay View Post
    Ok...Thank you. I was trying to find some gears that may be locked up, but I don't know where there would be any on the underside. Should I take that faceplate off? The screws are really tight and I don't want to risk breaking or stripping them. The top is really in good shape, there's not a lot of dust in there so I'm pretty sure that its locked up on the underside.
    See that flat plate with 3 screws right behind the hook? Behind that plate is the hook drive gear. Clean out the old hard grease and replace it with fresh grease. It's not usually a gear that's locked up, it's usually oil that's old and turned varnish like. That's why I suggested using rubbing alcohol as it dissolves old dried oil almost immediately.

Cari

Nice to see "The Dark Underside"
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    Can you turn the hand wheel at all? If you can, drop a little oil on the part that move. If you can't drop a little oil on the parts that should move - try to gently turn it as you oil. You can use Tri-Flo if you like - get it at a bike shop. There does seem to be a little glaze on some of the moving parts. What you don't want is the alcohol to clean things off then not enough lube and the parts that move can rust. The gear box does need some clean up, get regular grease for it. I think if you search Joe has made a lot of comments on grease.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Ok, I took the plate off and there was A LOT of brown grease in there, it was at least 2cm deep. I got most of it out but it doesn't look like its stuck because the grease is not hard. Should I clean all of it out because I don't know what I'd use to get it all out. There is some movement when I turn the wheel, like the thread take up, but it just stops and I can still turn the wheel but nothing moves. I'm going to get the singer oil just because its all I could find without having to wait for it from Amazon.
    Wow...I am so thankful to all of you! This machine means a lot to me.

I finally got back on this board and read a request to post the pic of my Riccar here. It's in storage currently but hopefully will find our new home soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mama Llama; 01-30-2015 at 05:24 PM. Reason: typo
    "When you earnestly believe you can compensate for lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do."

Hi! I am new to this site, and new to collecting vintage sewing machines. I just picked up a machine, and would like to know more about it, please:

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  269.7 KB

Underneath, it says:

Views: 732
Size:  352.9 KB

And it it has an "alpha sew" belt:

Views: 629
Size:  256.8 KB

Is is it a rebadged Singer 15-30? Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Midgetty View Post

Is is it a rebadged Singer 15-30? Thank you!
    I am pretty weak on Japanese machines, but I CAN tell you it is NOT rebadged 15-30. Singer 15's ( and 15 class machines) are a straight stitch machine, no ZZ function.
    " one should endeavor to keep ones straight pins from the floor whilst treadling barefoot" .... me 2015

I forgot to mention it is a very solid and appealing looking machine... to bad about the "pin rash" type damage on the pillar, she appears almost pristine other than that.
    " one should endeavor to keep ones straight pins from the floor whilst treadling barefoot" .... me 2015

Blog Entries
    That is not a rebadged 15-30 it is just a zig zag machine. Neat and I would love to play with it though.

Blog Entries
    pin rash might just be a sign of a nice working machine

Welcome. Neat looking machine. What's behind the bulge in the nose?

Sanshin would be the manufacturer. Japanese companies would put any brand the buyer wanted on their machines as long as they bought enough of them. That or leave the brand off and the buyer would put their own brand on. It could go either way. It's common to find several different brands on what is basically the same machine. The belt might be a replacement. I want to say Alphasew is still around. It's also possible the belt is original. Either way I wouldn't go by what it says for machine ID purposes. I think I read that there used to be a high tax on importing motors here, also not every country uses 120VAC as the standard voltage. Sewing machine companies would ship the machines without motors and install them where the machine was to be sold.

Japanese companies made a lot of Singer 15 clones. A lot of Japanese machines are descended from those Singer 15 copies. Your machine uses basically the same bobbin/hook assembly as a Singer 15 but the rest has been changed.
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

(in response to a post from a yr ago - then I discovered other's had already posted much of what I had to say here. Ah, well.)

I know that machine! My own vintage machine is a SewMor 900 Zig Zag. Every detail is exactly the same, aside from the badge on the front. I picked mine up at Goodwill a couple years back for $10. I only just started using it, though! I had the hardest time getting my mom to teach me anything about it - she always had other things she wanted to do while visiting. So, I've oiled it, and found out what I could about it. For this machine, parts were apparently sourced from multiple countries in Asia, but the motor itself was from Belgium. And.... that's all I could find out. That, and the original sewing machine manual for the machine! So if you haven't found the correct manual for yours yet, I'll gladly email copies of it out. For comparison's sake, I'm including a photo of my machine. I had to replace the belts - the drive belt worked, but was showing it's age, but the bobbin winder tire was just missing. Good thing this machine takes the standard "singer" belts. She runs beautifully, and quietly, too. Forgive the surrounding mess - I've got her set up on the dining table, for the moment.
    Name:  100_0831.JPG
Views: 682
Size:  997.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Chris77 View Post
    New to the forums, this looks like the place to ask about my new CL find. Seems to be the same as some of the models posted here, different badging. The only place I can find reference to country of origin is on the motor (which says Kitchener, Canada). The machine came with next to nothing though and I sadly discovered it's missing the bobbin holder. Anyone know where I can get one and what model I'm looking for. Would also love to find a manual (though it looks like the one in this thread may suffice) and a zig-zag foot, although that's not totally necessary as my wife intends to use it for straight stitches (shirring mostly). Finally, at the risk of being too long winded if anyone can offer cleaning tips I'd be really grateful. There appears to be a serial number stamped into the frame YZ9 2489, if that helps. Thanks!
    Last edited by surelyujest71; 06-26-2015 at 02:07 PM. Reason: I was late. lol.

SewMor 900 ZZ - How old is it?

As you may have gleaned from my (late!) post above, I picked up this SewMor 900 ZZ machine a few years ago at Goodwill. I just pulled it out the other day, and gave it a little oil, and "Hooray!" it works, and works beautifully. I replaced the drive belt and bobbin winder tire, as the old belt is showing cracks from age, and the bobbin winder tire was missing.

One of the main things that brought me to this forum was a search to discover just when my machine was made. If it was made over multiple years, then I'd like to know at least which time period.... Unfortunately, I can't seem to find anything. I found the JA number - JA39 2988. So far, according to the "VintageJapanSewingMachines" yahoo group's JA number list, all I can tell is that it's a Japanese made machine; I already knew that!

I think it's beautiful, though, anyway. It's my first (working) sewing machine! (This, and a children's Singer that'll run on batteries....) This being my first (official?) post to introduce myself... my machine.... umm... so, anyway, this'll be the first "official" pic of my machine on here. The other one we can consider a product of enthusiasm.
Views: 570
    New to the forum, but I've been immersed in all of your machines for days, now. Hello, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by surelyujest71 View Post

One of the main things that brought me to this forum was a search to discover just when my machine was made.all I can tell is that it's a Japanese made machine; I already knew that!
    This being my first (official?) post to introduce myself... my machine.... umm... so, anyway, this'll be the first "official" pic of my machine on here. The other one we can consider a product of enthusiasm.
Views: 570
    New to the forum, but I've been immersed in all of your machines for days, now. Hello, everyone!
    Hello and Welcome! We can't tell you too much about your machine, as there just aren't any records of Japanese machines to search like there are with other manufacturers. So the serial number is useless basically. Just by features, I'd guess mid-late 1950s to early 1960s. By the mid 1960s most bobbin winders were on the top of machines and most had larger upper tension knobs. Most levers had gone to knobs by this time also. For cleaning what I do with a colored machine like this is first go over it with baby wipes to get the dirt off, then I use TR3 Resin Glaze available at auto parts stores. It does a great job of cleaning what the baby wipes don't get and polishing/protecting the machine.

Cari

Blog Entries
    Cari, Does anything get the yellow off those machines?

[QUOTE=miriam;7239692]Cari, Does anything get the yellow off those machines?[/QUOTE

Honestly Miriam, I don't know. I've had a little success but not much with TR3, haven't tried anything else. Most of it came off my pink Select O Matic but almost none of it did on my blue machines.

Cari

Blog Entries
    I had an Atlas that never did un-yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Cari, Does anything get the yellow off those machines?
    It doesn't come out if it is in the paint. It is a stain. Much of it is from oil. Some seem to be more susceptible to this. Lighter colored machines seem to show it more. Rather disappointing, I know, but you have to just live with it some times.
    ~G~

[QUOTE=grant15clone;7239888s Lighter colored machines seem to show it more.
    ~G~[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's what I've found. Miriams' Atlas would have been much lighter in color than my Select O Matic, as are my blue machines I spoke of. They're actually two toned light blue/white machines. And you can always tell a machine that spent most of its' life in a cabinet. The ones with the yellow stains all over the front of the machine, around the edges of any plates or decorative covers.

Cari

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast