Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines

Most recent acquisition - a 'Rotary Electric' A freebie!
    Name:  Rotary sewing machine 003-001.JPG
Views: 1120
Size:  381.8 KB

Blog Entries
    nice dashboard on that Rotary!
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Twins

Hello,

Check out my McKee 850 thread. I think we have twins from 2 different mom's.

Soman2

The other Rodney

That McKee sure bears a strong family resemblance from what I can see. No cams in the Rotary though, just ZZ.

Mom's what?

Am I in over my head? Ambassador Automatic 106 Deluxe Zig Zag

Hello all!
    I have been absolutely pouring over the site tonight, loving all the photos and trying to glean any scrap of useful info I can about my machines. I am new to sewing-- I bought a cheap Singer from Jo-Ann's a few years ago, finally took a sewing class last year... and discovered my "brand new" machine was WORTHLESS. Constantly jamming, tension troubles, so frustrating. Luckily, my husband's grandfather was over one day and mentioned he had grandma's old sewing machine in the basement and no one in the family would take it! I was so thrilled. It's a beautiful Singer 15 clone (as I've just discovered today) in turquoise, with all the original manuals and accessories, and runs like a dream. It has made sewing so enjoyable! (I'll post photos in the Singer 15 clone thread, as I know this is not the place.)

The point of that story is that my mother, who was a wonderful seamstress, gave up sewing almost ten years ago after having nothing but trouble with modern machines, and hesitating to invest so much money in a "quality" modern machine since she's not sewing clothes for all the kids anymore. She has been jealous of my Morse. Today I was at the Rescue Mission and came across a beautiful, two-toned blue Ambassador machine that is almost the same turquoise blue as my Morse. All the dials turned, and the wheel turned freely, and the RM guaranteed "it worked." It had no case, and no tools or manual. It's a charity, so after agonizing over it for 20 minutes, I bought it for $40 to give to my mom for Christmas. The badges say Ambassador Automatic 106 Deluxe Zig Zag machine (made in Japan). There is no JA or JC number on the bottom, just a serial number C39-77287 (which I understand is pretty useless). The motor is a 115v El Ray, made in USA. I would be very excited if anyone can give me any recommendations for a manual for this beauty. Tomorrow I'll clean her up (according to all your helpful hints), replace the broken needle, figure out how to thread her and put a few stitches down to make sure everything works. I hope it does! It clearly is more advanced than my Morse. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated! I hope this machine will be "the one" for her!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I'm thinking somewhere above there should be a generic manual. The generic manual should do for that machine. I know it won't be perfect but it is basic enough you should be able to figure out most of it. The bobbin area will be the same as your clone with a few variations. Here is a link for cleaning it out: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...y-t194930.html The tension will be rather generic as well. Tammi has info on her blog about tensions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guYT...zkw7ew&index=6

Thank you, Miriam!
    More questions about the history: how are the Japanese badged deluxe zig zag machines related to the singer 15 clones? I understand after WWII the Japanese started producing the clones. Then was it just a matter of the Japanese engineers continuing to innovate, which led to the Deluxe Zig Zag machines? Or were these loosely copies of other American machines? Were they produced at the same time as the clones, or were they innovations made a little later? Thank you for your wisdom!

I have an Ambassador that's a slightly different model than yours. Mine was made by Toyota.
    It's cast into the bottom of the base. Your machine might or might not be.
    I think the Japanese just kept modifying the model 15 clones until they became unrecognizable. About the only similarity left after a few years was the base size and the bobbin and hook area. If you stare at pictures of machines every day like I do you'll see basic clones with more square modern looking sides and lights cast into the housings.
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

Blog Entries
    The 15 clones have that side tension. The Japanese also made other copies. I don't know exactly when they started in on zz machines.

Thanks for the info, Rodney! Mine has nothing cast into the base, just a C39-77287 serial number. Is yours a left homing machine? I need to get a presser foot, as something is clearly out of whack with the zipper foot it came with, and I'm just casting in the dark trying to order the proper thing. I'll look up a generic manual now, as Miriam suggested. Hopefully that will set me on the right track!

I just wanted to repost Miriam's helpful link, as I've been having trouble finding a manual for the machine that's free! I can't purchase a manual from sewusa.com or tias.com since I don't know what machine might be its equivalent... it took me a lot of searching to find Miriam's generic manual link back on post #80. Since this thread is up to 31 pages, I hope you won't mind if I repost for someone who might come along later seeking the same info! Now to find out if this will help me with my apparently left-homing machine...
    http://www.dontai.com/wp/images/imperial-535-manual.pdf

I don't know if your machine is left homing or not, but in your pic the machine is set for zigzag, not straight stitching, so the needle will not come down in it's natural straight stitch position anyway. The zipper foot should have a screw on the back of it to adjust the position of the foot, but you need the machine to be set for straight stitch to use this foot. What you need is a zigzag, or all purpose foot. Left homing or center homing won't matter for this foot. If your machine is low shank, you want this foot:
    http://shop.sew-classic.com/Low-Shan...t-SCF55614.htm

If your machine is high shank, you want this foot:
    http://shop.sew-classic.com/High-Sha...ot-SCF5555.htm

You can figure out whether your machine is high or low shank on the website. It's easy.

Cari

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMountainsAreCalling View Post
    I just wanted to repost Miriam's helpful link, as I've been having trouble finding a manual for the machine that's free! I can't purchase a manual from sewusa.com or tias.com since I don't know what machine might be its equivalent... it took me a lot of searching to find Miriam's generic manual link back on post #80. Since this thread is up to 31 pages, I hope you won't mind if I repost for someone who might come along later seeking the same info! Now to find out if this will help me with my apparently left-homing machine...
    http://www.dontai.com/wp/images/imperial-535-manual.pdf

no problem. I just didn't have time to look it up.

Thank you everyone so much for your advice, on both threads! Cari, those links are invaluable and I appreciate the time you and everyone have taken to guide me in the right direction.

Incidentally, I have to drive in to "town" (3 hours away) next week. When I first got my Morse, I was afraid to use it in case something was broken, so I dropped it off at this dusty little shop where the 80-year-old repair man said, "Well, that's an old one!" He cleaned and inspected it for me for a small fee. I'm going to bring the Ambassador to him next week, and he said he probably has a presser foot "lying around" for it (and a belt, and some other goodies). Whether he does or not, I'm excited to go in and see all the machines he's got for sale. Now that I can identify some of them and their features, it will be fun to view the treasures!

I love the repair shops where they have the OSMGs. They are getting fewer all the time. I'll just bet he does have everything you need. I have a favorite shop about 30 miles away. When I lost my job and couldn't afford to pay him any more to service my machines, he helped me learn about doing it myself, along with everyone on the internet. Now whenever I go see him all we do is bs the day away and neither of us get anything done!

Cari

From the similar thread about vintage Japanese machines with fancy stitches: post 134 by Susanmarie shows a picture and offers some info about a Coronado badged machine.

She pointed to a free manual (thank you!) on the Singer site (White 231). It looks VERY similar to the following pictures on this thread if anyone is missing a manual:
    165 Lew Schiller Universal
    234 LynxSS Sewmatic
    287 Soman2 McKee Dressmaker
    301 Manalto Rotary Electric

I was interested because I have an American Beauty that is also a match (doesn't take cams - like the Rotary at 301). The manual for the White 231 shows cams so I'm not sure if mine is an older model or maybe at a lower price point. But the rest of the pages seem relevant. I can't use mine until I replace the cord. : (
    'Tacky' does not necessarily refer to the quality of adhesiveness.

I am considering going to look at this one https://fairbanks.craigslist.org/for/5340772027.html any thoughts one it ?
    " one should endeavor to keep ones straight pins from the floor whilst treadling barefoot" .... me 2015

Blog Entries
    If the needle is left homing you will have to make allowances for that when you sew. Some Japanese machines have center lever some not.

guess I should take the time to post a photo.....
    I am thinking about looking at this machine ...
    it is badged as a "Fleetwood" and available local to me.
    " one should endeavor to keep ones straight pins from the floor whilst treadling barefoot" .... me 2015

Quote Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
    guess I should take the time to post a photo.....
    I am thinking about looking at this machine ...
    Nice looking machine!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Ok so I started a new thread about this first but I also want to post it here as well seems how one of the only things I know about this machine is its badged made in Japan. Anyways, so my husband purchased this sewing machine for me at a thrift store and being unaware of the fact that there was even such a thing as vintage sewing machines that had cams he had left them behind at the store. In the picture behind the sewing machine there is a box of red plastic pieces that I believe were the cams. I was just hoping maybe one of you, any of you would be able to give me any type of information on this sewing machine and hopefully you could even tell me what type of cams I could get that would be compatible and I can utilize it to its full capabilities. Thank youName:  image.jpeg
Views: 787
Size:  407.4 KB

Yes the red things are cams. Do they go to your machine? Try them and see. Most of the time cam boxes aren't specifically marked, and there were dozens of cam shapes and sizes over the years. Trying to find the right cams for a particular machines can be a crap shoot. Lots of us here have many sets of orphan cams that we don't know what they belong to.

Cari

Blog Entries
    Hello Ms. Miriam! This looks like the Alden's I had posted the other day. I haven't found the manual yet but I will keep looking. I want to know what the knob on the bottom right of the machine is? It is not the letters for left right and middle for the needle so I don't know what it is. Can you enlighten me and in the meantime, I will continue to keep looking for the universal manual you mentioned. Thank you so much for your help!
    Empress Mona (teeheehee)

Blog Entries

have a dressmaker with a badge

I have a vintage dressmaker sewing machine I was wondering if anyone could tell me something about it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I would like to know how old my dressmaker is. I haven't been able to find any information on it.

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 ... LastLast