Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15

Thread: Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines

fiati

finally got back here to post pic. anybody ever c one of these on back of machine not motor is stamped made in poland. thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I tried to post info
    Go over to Victorian Sweatshop forum. Then at the top bar, use search and search "Singer Lotus" and you will find info on that style machine
    It may not be not a Japanese clone and it may be some what recent judging by the plastic knob unless it is just something on the bed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Hi Im new on here I was trying to find a book on my Dial n sew machine my model number is 2516 almost like this one. Do you know where I might be able to find one?
    Last edited by justmsbetty2017; 04-16-2017 at 02:48 PM. Reason: trying to find a book for my dial n sew

msbetty.
    I am a bit confused. Do you have a brand for your touch and sew? Sounds like too new of a name for a 15 clone.

Dial and Sew was used by more than one manufacturer. Without a picture of your machine we don't know what it is.

Cari

I just did a search on QB and it seems that a lot of Dial n sew machines came without a manual. You might try http://www.sewusa.com/Sewing_Machine_Manuals/Deluxe_ZigZag_Sewing_Machines.htm and see if there is anything close.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Janey & John

I'm a little late to the party, but I wonder if this one rings a bell with anyone here. It's a Piedmont made for the Hudson Bay Co. in Canada. Thank you for any input!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Piedmont sewing machine.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	572821

I really like the colors.

bkay

Electro Grand

I'm new here, just stumbling across this site and this thread in an effort to learn more about a vintage sewing machine I rescued from a dumpster demise this weekend. I bought it in the cabinet, with the accessories and a bunch of random fabric for $35. From what my limited research today has yielded, it looks like it was maybe made in 1957. It has both J-C5 and JA21 stamped on the bottom. The serial number plate starts with E-71. The only plate on the face says Electro Grand. I've attached some photos. I believe this one would fall under the Japanese badged machines. Can anyone tell me anything about it? I haven't been able to learn much. Thanks so much!!!
    Name:  Machine Small.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  15.0 KBName:  Machine 2 small.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  7.8 KBName:  Machine 3 small.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  15.8 KB

Blog Entries
    Wow nice bunch of machines! Electro grand was made by Brother. At least mine was. It has Brother stampings on the bottom and on the hand wheel.
    I am not the expert Cari is on Japanese machines. I have a couple dress maker machines some I love and some not so much. One I replaced the zig zag gear when the plastic gave. You may have a plastic cam stack on that dressmaker. Read through the above stuff for more info on the camstacks. Check to see if it is cracked. Oil is your friend.

Not all Electro Grand machines were built by Brother, I don't think this one is. My chart doesn't have a manufacturer listed for JA21. Nice machine, I like the clean lines of it.

Cari

Blog Entries
    I want a chart. Where did you get a chart? Is it in the resource section?

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I want a chart. Where did you get a chart? Is it in the resource section?
    I'll PM you with mine when I get home.

Cari

Miriam I've sent you a PM.

Cari

I just found a sewing machine just like this one. Do you know how much it's worth. They want $100 for it.

Quote Originally Posted by suzawe123 View Post
    I just found a sewing machine just like this one. Do you know how much it's worth. They want $100 for it.
    The short answer is it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Now here's the long answer - What condition it's in, whether it's been serviced recently, case or cabinet, whether the manual and accessories are with it, what part of the country, how rare the model is(most aren't), what color it is, how bad the seller really wants to sell it, what day of the week it is, what phase the moon is in, depends on who you ask, etc...all can be part of determining what a sewing machine is worth. Only you can decide how much you're willing to spend.

Cari

Follow up and Cari's value comment.

Level of advertising is a huge factor too. Last weekend I went chasing a Rocketeer. CL listing under garage sale. "sewing machine" was the second fuzzy picture. Nothing to even indicate Singer unless you were a fan. It was in a town of 300. 15 miles away from the nearest stoplight. And the actual sale was a "make an offer" sale at a motorcycle shop. Seller didn't know what he had. All factors in my favor. I made an offer for the 500 in a cabinet with manuals and two sets of cams. He upped my offer by $5.00. Bingo.. oh wait. my GF was faster with her money. Giggle. I won't tell you the purchase price, but it would make many of you groan. Someday I'll have to get a pic of her 500 by my 503.

Leon

Edison Machine

I have this machine but it is called Edison. Mine doesn't have the crown on the bed but the rest looks the same! I am trying to find out info on it, don't have the book. I think my mom bought it in 1959 but not sure. Would love to have more info. Any help appreciated.Name:  IMG_0940 (1).JPG
Views: 164
Size:  92.0 KBName:  IMG_0941.JPG
Views: 165
Size:  77.8 KB

Blog Entries
    Somewhere on this thread is a generic manual.
    I made screen shots of your machine controls. So I'll explain them the rest will be generic and you can find that information by reading the thread.
    Name:  image.png
Views: 162
Size:  881.7 KB
    This is your zig zag control. You turn the big knob to zig zag what ever you want and can change it as you sew by turning the knob to larger or smaller stitches as you sew to get different designs or appliqué or fancy calligraphy lettering. If you want to lock it in place slide one of the two little lever knobs where ever you want the stitches set and tighten the knob. You have to release them in order to go back to straight sewing or to change the width of the zig zag stitches. Right now it looks like it might be set so turn the nut on the ends of the two lever knobs and release the zig zag so it will sew straight again. Pretty simple once you play with it a minute. If you want to reset it, turn the knob how ever wide you want, set the levers, tighten and you are back to zig zag. Release them etc. pretty simple and straight forward.
    Last edited by miriam; 06-02-2017 at 02:17 AM.

Blog Entries
    Name:  image.png
Views: 170
Size:  1.10 MB
    Stitch length. Turn knob to change the stitch length. R is reverse. Pretty straight forward.
    Below is two buttons. Push the one that says up to sew anything. The down button is for free motion sewing or darning and the feed dogs will not be activated.

Your generic manual will show you how to thread it and how to use the bobbin.

Have a thing for the vintage Japanese made machines. Will try and figure out how to post pics. Thanks for yours Miriam!

Blog Entries
    Thanks. The icon with the tree gets you to the picture place.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15