Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-08-2015, 01:29 PM

Hi, Haven't been here for a while.. Spring brings yard work . Today I bought a Minnesota "A", just the head no cabinet. and I don't know where to look for serial number to date it. Also where is the site for Sears badged machines
I recognize it a Davis, the track for the belt is on th outside of the balnce wheel. Can someone help?

Thanks, Linda
Old 05-08-2015, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
Fascinating man.
~G~
Thanks Grant. I just read about him on wikipedia and http://emeagwali.com/garrett-morgan/. He was also black (both his parents were born slaves), his inventions were many, and he was real hero! One of his inventions was a "belt fastener for sewing machines". Love to see what that was. Wasn't described in either site, but the second one says he had a lot to do with sewing machines and ran a clothing/tailoring company.
Unsurprisingly, he was listed in a book on 100 greatest Americans.
What was the something you watched Grant? I (and I'm sure others) would like to see it.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:06 PM
Power Poster

I google searched Garrett Morgan - then went to videos
Old 05-08-2015, 07:37 PM

Hi Linda,

Information on Sears sewing machines:

http://ismacs.net/sears/sears.html

Davis machines will have the serial number on the front slide plate starting with "D". Sears Domestic Minnesota also has pulley on outside of wheel. Post a pic for positive ID. Davis serial number records are lost but there are a few dated warranties from Sears with SN's.

Jon

Originally Posted by lolthom View Post
Hi, Haven't been here for a while.. Spring brings yard work . Today I bought a Minnesota "A", just the head no cabinet. and I don't know where to look for serial number to date it. Also where is the site for Sears badged machines
I recognize it a Davis, the track for the belt is on th outside of the balnce wheel. Can someone help?

Thanks, Linda
Old 05-09-2015, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
What was the something you watched Grant? I (and I'm sure others) would like to see it.
It was a segment on the show "Mysteries At The Museum".
Like Miriam said, you might find more info on him in the videos in a Google search. I couldn't find the Mysteries at the Museum segment, but I found several about him. Here is one.
http://video.about.com/inventors/Who...tt-Morgan-.htm
Here is another that has more info but no images.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOsp6KgDy1o
~G~
Old 05-09-2015, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
Thanks Grant. I just read about him on wikipedia and http://emeagwali.com/garrett-morgan/. He was also black (both his parents were born slaves), his inventions were many, and he was real hero! One of his inventions was a "belt fastener for sewing machines". Love to see what that was. Wasn't described in either site, but the second one says he had a lot to do with sewing machines and ran a clothing/tailoring company.
Unsurprisingly, he was listed in a book on 100 greatest Americans.
Thanks Grant and Manicmike: a very fascinating man.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:23 PM

Default singer 66-16

My daughter gifted me with this machine for Mother's day. Does't look as though it has been used much, and turns very smoothly. it is in a console model 40. my question is about the console. the top and leaf appear to be some kind of laminate and there is damage to the back all the way across. maybe water damage. how would i fix that? don't know if it can be refinished the same way wood would be.
Attached Thumbnails singer-66-16.jpg  
Old 05-15-2015, 01:59 PM

Hi, me again. Finally plugged it in. The motor whirs but does not move the needlebar. Possibly lubricant is dried up?? How do I clean tubes out before new lubricant is added. Or maybe it's something else. Suggestions? Linda
Old 05-15-2015, 02:12 PM
Banned

My Guess: On the hand wheel to the right, there is a silver disk in the center. If it is not tightened (clockwise) then it will slip. This is so that when you wind bobbins, you do not have to run the whole machine. Turn it to the left (counter clockwise) and it will allow the hand wheel to turn without driving the rest of the machine.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:27 PM

What product do I get to lubricate the motor? Linda