Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-10-2015, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Gray fox View Post
Maybe this is just the way the machine works. Another new needle made no difference. In Connie McCaffery's book, she says that if the bobbin thread can be pulled up by turning the hand wheel, the machine is timed. This machine not only does that, but makes nice stitches. If Connie's comment applies to all machines, we're good to go.
Dianne, the feed dog should never allow the needle to bend, so I'd say you were correct initially and there is a feed timing problem. Feed timing is different to hook timing.
I'd like to add that when my daughter's Singer 498s hook timing was out the bobbin thread could still be pulled up, so my experience disagrees with Connie's assertion. The machine would not produce a balanced stitch regardless of the tension adjustment on with upper and bobbin threads. Since yours does, I'd suspect that the hook timing is OK, the feed timing requires adjustment. If you don't adjust it, it will break needles when you sew heavier fabric or multiple layers.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:00 AM

Thank you, manicmike in Melbourne! That does make sense, and I had wondered if Connie's statement was too broad. If someone tried to sew for very long using the fast controller, it's not surprising such a problem would develop. Just about everything needed to be adjusted, tightened, etc.

Now the trick will be to find someone who can make sense of this machine and keep it from being melted down.....it does seem solidly made and worth preserving.

Dianne in Colorado
Old 04-12-2015, 02:20 AM

Thank you, manicmike in Melbourne! That does make sense, and I had wondered if Connie's statement was too broad. If someone tried to sew for very long using the fast controller, it's not surprising such a problem would develop. Just about everything needed to be adjusted, tightened, etc.

Now the trick will be to find someone who can make sense of this machine and keep it from being melted down.....it does seem solidly made and worth preserving.

Dianne in Colorado
You're welcome Dianne, but I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. In hundreds of machines, I've never had to fix feed timing: It can't go off unless the belt or linkages break. Hook timing is different: It is easy to set because it can wander.
It might be easy to fix, but if everything needed to be adjusted or tightened I think you have an infinite source of potential problems. I know someone probably did all this by fiddling or disassembling, but I'd call it a machine that wants to die and it will give you hell if you try and stop it.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:16 AM

That is discouraging, Mike....but for the time being I'll keep working with it and see if progress can be made. Nothing appears broken in any way, and this is one you can take the top off and really get a good look inside.

I did adjust the height of the presser bar, which was very low. It's now set so that, with the foot raised, the needle clamp, as it goes to its lowest point, doesn't quite make contact with the foot. It looks right, not too high or low, so that shouldn't be part of the problem, should it?

I've never had a machine that needed timing, (except for a couple chainstitch toys) so this problem was off my radar. Rescuing sewing machines! Good thing it isn't cars.....

Dianne in Colorado
Old 04-12-2015, 03:46 PM

That is discouraging, Mike....but for the time being I'll keep working with it and see if progress can be made. Nothing appears broken in any way, and this is one you can take the top off and really get a good look inside.

I did adjust the height of the presser bar, which was very low. It's now set so that, with the foot raised, the needle clamp, as it goes to its lowest point, doesn't quite make contact with the foot. It looks right, not too high or low, so that shouldn't be part of the problem, should it?
You're fixing each problem as it comes up Dianne, and very quickly. You're obviously very competent and learning how to do all this. You'll end up with a new machine (it'll feel like it anyway) and be something of an expert. I'd have dropped it only because I'm spoiled for choices. Sorry for being discouraging.

You're definitely getting there, and raising the needle height will have helped a lot. How far did it need to be raised? Did it stop the 'pop'? If not, look at feed dog height: Being too high can cause them to be moving while the needle is still in.

The more I think about this the more I doubt that the feed timing has been tampered with. Nobody would do that, so it's probably a combination of small things. It's getting better every time you fix something anyway, so well done
Old 04-14-2015, 11:37 AM

Hi There,

I am looking for info on how to adapt a table from IKEA into a sewing table and am not sure exactly where to search. Help!
Pat of Abington
Old 04-14-2015, 02:03 PM

Pat,

Google "ikea sewing table hack" and you'll get a lot of ideas. Here are a few:

http://www.makeithandmade.com/2013/1...able-hack.html

http://frommartawithlove.com/diy-ike...able-tutorial/

http://www.ikeahackers.net/2013/06/n...ing-table.html

Good luck.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:02 AM

Default Mother of pearl singer 15?

I've never heard of these but just saw one. Rectangular base and three MOP inlays at the centre of the decals.
If you can give me information I'd be grateful.
Quickly would also be good, as I haven't bought it yet.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:07 PM
Banned

MOP was available on most any make and model with enough money to back the sale. I'D love to see it....
Old 04-19-2015, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
MOP was available on most any make and model with enough money to back the sale. I'D love to see it....
Well I'm picking it up Tuesday