Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-21-2015, 11:22 AM

Crosstie her-I have punched several items for my featherweight fromApril. She is reliable and the items are worthy. I especially like her how to take care of your featherweight.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:38 PM

I am not completely happy with the rewiring I did on the Singer 66 motor. The insulation fell off all the way back to where the wires go into the motor. I got the heat shrink close as I can but there is still a tiny gap where it flexes. I am going to put liquid tape in that tiny gap. (And then use some more of the liquid tape on the sides of my bike. Anything to stop it from scraping on bike racks.)

But I have to thank you all for sharing knowledge and the confidence that we can fix things. I also took the lawn mower out today and its blades made the most terrible squealing noises. Last year I would have had no idea what to do. This year I looked and said "rust spots on the blades" and took them off with sewing machine restoring techniques. No more squealing.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
I am not completely happy with the rewiring I did on the Singer 66 motor. The insulation fell off all the way back to where the wires go into the motor. I got the heat shrink close as I can but there is still a tiny gap where it flexes. I am going to put liquid tape in that tiny gap. (And then use some more of the liquid tape on the sides of my bike. Anything to stop it from scraping on bike racks.)

But I have to thank you all for sharing knowledge and the confidence that we can fix things. I also took the lawn mower out today and its blades made the most terrible squealing noises. Last year I would have had no idea what to do. This year I looked and said "rust spots on the blades" and took them off with sewing machine restoring techniques. No more squealing.
LOL DH had a brake rotor part that was frozen up due to rust and I found some bike chain oil I use when I have rusted stuff....
Old 02-27-2015, 06:12 PM

Smile Thanks for all the great info

Took nearly a month, but finally have read this thread from the beginning. I have fixed up a bit a White family Rotary with treadle cabinet from an estate sale, and just got a NVF (head only) from shopgw. Got it from there in the 2000s and found myself getting anxious about the shipping as I kept reading, but it arrived safely, and though was labeled as parts only it seems to only be missing the front plate.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]511872[/ATTACH]

I started cleaning with sewing machine oil and isopropyl and a cuticle stick on the grimy supposed to be shiny metal parts, and am quite happy so far. The vast amount of advice to go slow is very helpful, in keeping expectations realistic.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]511873[/ATTACH]

So having seen a variety of opinions here I'm wondering how does using waddling polish compare to using aluminum foil on clean up of rusty parts that have nickel or chrome loss? Also has anyone compared jewelry wadding vs car products?

Again, thanks so much for the wealth of knowledge posted here.
Ann
Attached Thumbnails img_20150227_211145.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by annf; 02-27-2015 at 06:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-28-2015, 02:54 AM
Power Poster

Ann,
Use what you like but test before you go wild.
I love the VF machines. Glenn has a real good tutorial about the finish on the machines:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t193635.html
Old 03-02-2015, 04:09 AM

Ann
I have used both the foil and the wadding. I really like the foil for large parts that I can do over the sink or a large basin, because the foil needs to be kept wet. I like the wadding for small parts but my favorite is called wenol. A cream that I wipe on and polish off.
You want to make sure to use Denatured alcohol not isopropyl, something about the water content and making things cloudy.
Have fun with your little beauty.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by HelenAnn View Post
Ann
I have used both the foil and the wadding. I really like the foil for large parts that I can do over the sink or a large basin, because the foil needs to be kept wet. I like the wadding for small parts but my favorite is called wenol. A cream that I wipe on and polish off.
You want to make sure to use Denatured alcohol not isopropyl, something about the water content and making things cloudy.
Have fun with your little beauty.
any kind of alcohol is not good for the old black machines.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:36 PM

[song] It works it works it wooooooooooorks! [/song]

It is too late at night to put on the belt and finish up or I will spend all night making stitches but the Singer 66 motor works! And the foot pedal too! I flat out failed at the electrical part of physics class but that was not a life sentence, I have now learned!

Pictures to come in a few days. Sew-Classic had class 66 bobbins in stock this time and they are on their way. Seabrook deserves the best. The motor says he had much more use than I had guessed.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:32 AM

Need help with a singer touch and sew 700 series.
Bobbin thread does not come up and sew. I have done the following-
1- changed needle
2- quality thread and wound a new bobbin
3- cleaned out any lint in bobbin area
Any ideas??
Thanks,
Wilquilter
Old 03-06-2015, 09:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wilquilter View Post
Need help with a singer touch and sew 700 series.
Bobbin thread does not come up and sew. I have done the following-
1- changed needle
2- quality thread and wound a new bobbin
3- cleaned out any lint in bobbin area
Any ideas??
Thanks,
Wilquilter

Welcome from the Bay Area! Needle direction would be my guess