Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Walking the floors...Bernina is at the Dr. >

Walking the floors...Bernina is at the Dr.

Walking the floors...Bernina is at the Dr.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:02 AM

Last Rites? Okay, I'll go light a candle. (You're too funny.)
Old 06-23-2014, 06:51 AM

This series machine does have electronics in the foot control. Electronics started creeping in on the 830 Record with the 830E. Any mechanical machine after that is mechanical, but does have the electronic foot control that does go out. I've had to replace lots of capacitors in my Bernina machines. It may be that. If so, I would suspect your dealer will try to get you to buy a new foot control. The old ones can be repaired, so please don't chuck it! I don't know many dealers or techs that will offer to repair them, they DO want you to buy a new one.

Some of them do have a fuse, I've never worked on this model so I wouldn't be able to confirm that.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:04 PM

Just got word from the Sewing Machine Dr...
Checked over the whole machine...and controller.
The electronic board is blown...the fuse didn't blow. Board is being sent to Bernina to be fixed...they don't replace, just fix.
It has been a decided that there must have been a downserge in power and that caused it. Will take a couple of weeks to get the board back.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:50 PM

You're talking about the board in the foot control, correct? If this model has a circuit board in the machine, it' s not a "mechanical" machine??
Old 06-24-2014, 07:22 AM

The electronic board is blown...the fuse didn't blow. Board is being sent to Bernina to be fixed...they don't replace, just fix.
Susie, did you hear any loud pops before it died?

Candace, you think it might have a blown capacitor?

I doubt Bernina will repair the board from your machine. Repairing those things is time consuming so they'll most likely send a reman board back and then outsource your dead one to a shop to fix.

Joe
Old 06-24-2014, 07:32 AM

Joe, it could have one of several capacitors in the foot controls that "could" go. I keep a stock of replacements as I've had to replace many. If it has a board in the machine, there are ways to repair it and if they're not making new boards anymore it likely will be repaired if it's being sent to Chicago. I don't do circuit boards, but I tinker with the electrical boards. But, any machine that has circuit boards or electrical boards in the machine is not a "mechanical" machine in my thinking. I have two 900 Novas that have electrical boards in the machine and they would also not be considered mechanical machines.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:16 AM

Candace,

I totally agree with you about the mechanical vs electronic or computerized machines. I about freaked out when I found my wife's 930 Record has circuit boards in the machine and the controller. I told her to use it but don't let the controller get wet. ( our basement leaks bad ).

Joe
Old 06-24-2014, 10:20 AM

For sure you don't want the foot control to get wet.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
You're talking about the board in the foot control, correct? If this model has a circuit board in the machine, it' s not a "mechanical" machine??
The 1030 and 1031 have a small circuit board in it and a fuse...I did not know this...I was told that it was a mechanical machine by a Bernina mechanic back when it was new. I wonder what the board runs? you dial the width and length and the stitch selector...the only think I can think of is that if you tap the controller with your heel it will bring the needle to up position.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Susie, did you hear any loud pops before it died?

Candace, you think it might have a blown capacitor?

I doubt Bernina will repair the board from your machine. Repairing those things is time consuming so they'll most likely send a reman board back and then outsource your dead one to a shop to fix.

Joe
No loud pops...just went to start sewing again and nothing.

Repairman said they would repair the board.....I don't care what they do as long as the machine works in the end. Owner and repairman wanted to know details and said that from the way the board was blown, it didn't look like a power surge but like a brown out/power down.