Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What is a featherweight?

A Featherweight is a Singer 221 sewing machine. There are several types: black, tan, sort of green, and free-arm. It is lightweight and has an excellent feed dog system. It is a favorite among quilters. It is straight stitch only but there are attachments made to allow for other stitches. They were made for several decades. The only fault they have is that the light is located where it will burn you if you pick up or move the machine by putting your hand through it when the light is on. It is not intended for sewing leather, etc, but is excellent for piecing quilts. While I've been told that you can straight-line quilt on them with a walking foot, I don't. Other machines work better. I've found that free motion quilting on a Featherweight is an exercise in frustration. It's a good machine to take to classes. They are highly prized among quilters, so if you are lucky enough to find one, take good care of it.
    Last edited by cricket_iscute; 03-19-2013 at 03:52 PM.

Blog Entries
    I love mine, they are in better shape than me , LOL MIMI

This is also a Featherweight. The machine on the left is my tan featherweight. The black machine is Singer 66 electric machine, not a featherweight. I'm in the center, the cute bearded man is my sweet hubby, the other lady is a friend.
    Sharon
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by purplefiend; 03-19-2013 at 05:41 PM. Reason: added text and another picture.

Blog Entries
    They are sweeties, and do come in colors, not just black. Also a free arm version.................I like the history of them especially from the 30 's a d 40's..........calla

I should of read crickets post...........oh, and yes I do have seen a reproduction version......
    Last edited by calla; 03-19-2013 at 05:57 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2