Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Wiring tutorial

  1. #1
    Super Member greaterexp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,630
    Blog Entries
    1

    Wiring tutorial

    I have a few vintage machines, some of which will need some rewiring. I still do not see a tutorial by using the search. I realize that wiring is a complicated concept to teach novices, but hope someone can point me to something simple for the basics. I have a Graybar and a wonderful old Fotomatic that threw some sparks when I plugged her in (foolish, I know now!). I did take care of the foot pedal and power cord on my Singer 15-91, and it works like a charm. Now I'm eyeing the Fotomatic, but need help. Am I doomed to taking it to a shop?

  2. #2
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central IL
    Posts
    5,873
    greaterexp,

    At the risk of angering the powers that be here is the situation:
    I have been requested to do a wiring tute by several members. I rewired and repaired a motor for jljack and have the pics and text pretty much done. Unfortunately there have been snags with the posting.
    We have several "stickies" up top on the forum so I contacted the head moderator for permission to add my tute to this forum. I was told my wiring tute would have to go to the tutorial section and with out a sticky.
    The problem with that is it would get lost post haste and nobody would remember where it was or even that it was there.
    I was told I could put a link to it in my sig line, but I've learned from experience on other forums that after a while nobody looks at those. And those are visible only if someone knows it is on my posts.
    So that is why there is no tutorial for the rewiring of motors.

    If you need help I'll be glad to help as much as I can. PM me your email address and we can exchange photos and get the job done. It's really not that hard to rewire a motor or foot controller, just kind of tedious sometimes.

    Joe

  3. #3
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,201
    Rain has those tutorials here http://vssmb.blogspot.com.au/

    Not everyone can have stickies or the forum would be over run by messages that the topic starters would feel need to be "stuck" at the top of each category. I've done a tutorial as well, and figure if someone is interested in the info. they'll do a search and find it. The search feature here is wonderful and very comprehensive.

  4. #4
    Super Member greaterexp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,630
    Blog Entries
    1
    Joe, that's too bad about the tutorial. I think the specificity of this kind of tute for vintage machines warrants putting it here instead of general tutorials. I thank you for your kindness and offer of help. I would be starting from scratch with the Fotomatic - all I know is that it nearly shocked me the second time I plugged it in. The first time, it powered on fine and ran, so I thought it may only need a cleaning and oiling.
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    greaterexp,

    At the risk of angering the powers that be here is the situation:
    I have been requested to do a wiring tute by several members. I rewired and repaired a motor for jljack and have the pics and text pretty much done. Unfortunately there have been snags with the posting.
    We have several "stickies" up top on the forum so I contacted the head moderator for permission to add my tute to this forum. I was told my wiring tute would have to go to the tutorial section and with out a sticky.
    The problem with that is it would get lost post haste and nobody would remember where it was or even that it was there.
    I was told I could put a link to it in my sig line, but I've learned from experience on other forums that after a while nobody looks at those. And those are visible only if someone knows it is on my posts.
    So that is why there is no tutorial for the rewiring of motors.

    If you need help I'll be glad to help as much as I can. PM me your email address and we can exchange photos and get the job done. It's really not that hard to rewire a motor or foot controller, just kind of tedious sometimes.

    Joe

  5. #5
    Super Member greaterexp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,630
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thank you for the link. I did a search for wiring here, but didn't find anything appropriate to my needs. I've been away from the site for awhile since it changed, and am still not familiar with "stickies." I did find the link helpful and appreciate it greatly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Rain has those tutorials here http://vssmb.blogspot.com.au/

    Not everyone can have stickies or the forum would be over run by messages that the topic starters would feel need to be "stuck" at the top of each category. I've done a tutorial as well, and figure if someone is interested in the info. they'll do a search and find it. The search feature here is wonderful and very comprehensive.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Rain has those tutorials here http://vssmb.blogspot.com.au/
    Thanks for the link!

  7. #7
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central IL
    Posts
    5,873
    Quote Originally Posted by greaterexp View Post
    Joe, that's too bad about the tutorial. I think the specificity of this kind of tute for vintage machines warrants putting it here instead of general tutorials. I thank you for your kindness and offer of help. I would be starting from scratch with the Fotomatic - all I know is that it nearly shocked me the second time I plugged it in. The first time, it powered on fine and ran, so I thought it may only need a cleaning and oiling.

    greaterexp,

    I doubt the shock was caused by needing cleaned and oiled. That would have been caused by a bare wire making contact somewhere.

    Answered your PM.

    Joe

  8. #8
    Super Member Caroline S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Spanaway, Washington
    Posts
    3,679
    I "bit the bullet" and took my Singer 101 and her cabinet to the OSMG to have her wiring replaced and fixed. Because she has a potted motor I was not confident enough to tackle the wiring myself. I picked her up yesterday so have not had time to take pictures. The cost was $65 but the OSMG gave me a Morse 4400 Fotomatic for parts free from his junk pile. To me it was well worth the cost. Besides, it pays to have a good OSMG.
    Sweet Caroline

  9. #9
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central IL
    Posts
    5,873
    Caroline,

    You are sooooo right about that. I'm at the SMG's shop every week bugging him for some part or another.
    Today it will be for parts to a modern machine. But the things I've gotten from him in the past would have been very hard to find otherwise.

    Joe

  10. #10
    Super Member Lucky Patsy's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,231
    Joe, I would encourage you to post the tute anyway, even if it is in the other section and doesn't have a stickie. I, for one, would love to have access to the info and would definitely be willing to dig and dig to find it if I had to!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.