Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Your Conversion FROM Electric to Treadle >

Your Conversion FROM Electric to Treadle

Your Conversion FROM Electric to Treadle

Old 08-18-2014, 02:49 PM

Here is a question: What Sears/Kenmore or Wards or other 'brands' model numbers are like the 401G Singer?
Old 08-18-2014, 03:39 PM

when you say "Like" what is it you mean?

One that takes cams and does zigzag?

One that was made to convert between treadle or electric from the Factory?

Though in looking over my 401G - it sure looks like I'd need a different flywheel to convert it . . . .

I don't think anyone has put together a "list" so all we can do is offer suggestions based on what we've personally encountered. I'd suggest taking the information presented here - go on eBay and type in sewing machines, and then look in Collectables or Antiques to get mostly older ones, and then looking specifically for ones that have the characteristics that would make them treadle-able.

I did a quick look, and saw several that look like they could be treadled - zigzag, reverse, cams and such.

So far, the only machine I've encountered that is "like" the 401G is my Necchi Supernova, but both look like they may need a different flywheel than what the electric model comes with - but the bed has the option built in to it.

The Kenmores made by White look treadle-able - those made later do not. Wards- all depends on who was making the machines, the earlier ones by National (mostly pre zigzag) do not, as they had a friction motor and no provisions for a belt of any kind.

Others - a whole slew of Japanese made machines (which White became one of) are out there - that look like they would be candidates for it. Even some much newer machines look like you could - if you could find a way to put a different flywheel on them.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:43 PM
Power Poster

The Singer 401 fly wheel is a bit odd so you may have a slight problem changing it out. You can, however, file it out a bit for the belt or you can use a spinning wheel belt in the groove. A heavy flywheel would have an advantage when you treadle the machine - most zz machines don't turn as easily as a ss. It is called a balance wheel for a reason.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:56 PM

I "think" CD has a Singer 306 or 319 he converted to treadle. I could be completely wrong too.
He (his website) may be a good source of parts like a new balance wheel too if you need one for the conversion.
Rodney
Old 08-18-2014, 05:38 PM

I looked at my 319, and it looks like it would convert over easily. The back of the bed is short enough for the belt to pass, and the flywheel has a nice grove for the belt from the external motor. My new White 670 also looks like it would convert easily.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:20 PM

I also have a 319 that I treadle with no problems. Fits right in a singer treadle. It is fun to use when I need zig zag for some fancy stitching on a crazy quilt.
Skip
Old 08-19-2014, 02:45 AM

I wondered about no groove for the treadle belt in the 401G as with the motor it is not belt driven. Miriam, thank you for the link with your two machines. It took some time on your part and fastforward to today and it is still appreciated.

How much for an above average but not pristine collectible (I want to use not collect anyway) would be a fair price to ask for a 401G?

Here is a pic of what I see as pure art and beauty . . . http://stagecoachroadsewing.com/univ%20trdl.html
Old 08-19-2014, 04:50 AM

That Universal Deluxe is a great example of what I mean by "Japanese made" zig zag machines. My White 670 is very, very similar to that one.

the 401G is a German made Singer, and they are few and far between in the US, so you'll be darn lucky to find one. I paid $25 for mine, it showed up on Craigslist in Atlanta while I was done there. The seller had no clue, Just posted it as "Old Singer", but I could tell what it was by the pictures. If you find a seller that KNOWS what they have and markets it as such, I'd expect to pay a lot more.

If you want something cheap and easy to get - forget about the Singer 401G and look for a Japanese machine like your picture. They are very common, and you can probably pick one up from Craigslist for under $50. You'll possibly pay more for a treadle cabinet to put it in - they may drop right into a Singer one, but at worst you have to modify the top of the treadle.

I love those "dash board" Japanese machines. I'd have a whole wall of them if I hadn't gone a different direction. So my sole example is my White 670

Old 08-19-2014, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

Cathy you are so right.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:08 PM

Navy baby, that is one purity machine. Thanks for sharing. The thing I like about the older vintage machines is that if have service manual and patience most things I can fix. But then I am a tinkerer by nature. I don't sleep well when my machine is our if the home being repaired. How silly is that?