Thread: QAYG problem
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 12:11 PM
Daylesewblessed

I must clarify that normally the sewing of the sashing is done through the layers of the block as a means of attaching the blocks together. There are different ways to do QAYG, and I basically use this one: http://welshquilter.blogspot.com/200...as-you-go.html, but using closer to a 1 and 1/8" width on the top sashing rather than their recommended 1".

Since Barri was going to try whipstitching the blocks together, the sashing would need to be applied on top (and on the bottom side of the quilt) in order to cover the whipstitching seam. Picture something like bias tape being laid over the seam and sewn down. The sashing would have to be pressed so that the raw edges were turned under.

I am remembering the first time I used the QAYG method. The trimming and squaring was not my problem, but I did have to experiment just a little to get the width of the sashing and my seam allowances just right. It all had to to with the thickness of things and the size of my quarter inch seam. Since then I have been using a quarter inch foot, and the finished width of my sashing is much more uniform.

The second challenge for me was lining up the intersections. I now hand baste at the intersection for about 1-2" when applying the last sashing step. It prevents movement and slippage forward of the top layers. The workspace is tight on that step, and my walking foot might help the slippage, but it is just too cumbersome and wide for ease of use there.

I am really pleased with the QAYG technique. My avatar quilt was done that way and so was my Lucky Stars quilt:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...d-t194849.html. I have done about 8 of them in various sizes.

Maybe someday I will master handling the bulk of machine quilting, but until then, I am happy to have found the QAYG method.

Dayle

Last edited by Daylesewblessed; 10-21-2012 at 12:14 PM.