Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QAYG problem >

QAYG problem

QAYG problem

Old 10-22-2012, 08:04 AM

I agree with brenwalt; I FMQ large quilts on my Featherweight. A larger harp is nice, for sure, and is available on a lot of domestic, especially vintage, machines.
However, QAYG does offer the opportunity to ease into it.
My suggestion: if you really want to sew the BLOCKS together instead of sewing them to a one inch sashing, I urge you to trim a !/4" strip of batting off of the blocks, leaving the top and backing to extend a 1/4" out with no batting in the seam allowance. Batting in the seam will give a hump in the finished quilt (ask me how I know).
The advantage of a 1" sashing, especially if you have squared the blocks after FMQ and it's impossible to trim out the batting, is that, sewn accurately, the sashing will be full because the blocks butt up against each other. Then finish by hand sewing the back sashing.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:32 PM

You guys are wonderful. I wasn't in a full panic, as I'm used to things not always in black, and white, and my having to solve problems. It does feel really great to know that I am not the only one that runs into problems with quilting from time to time. My accuracy wasn't. The best part is being able to ask questions, and have board members take the time and explain how to get out of the situation. I did make a major mistake of not doing it in one piece. I have a Singer 66. It has a pretty big harp, and I don't know what I was thinking.
Thanks everyone..
Barri
Old 10-22-2012, 04:08 PM

When I QAYG -- I layer a center piece with like batting(same size) ;; cut backing 2" wider all around. Center top and batting in the backing square; quilt--- Place each square back to back(right sides together) and sew along the center square. When opened up; I just roll each 2"backing over the top square to make a sashing. Sew it down. do likewise with the rest until you have a row. etc.