Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QAYG problem >

QAYG problem

QAYG problem

Old 10-21-2012, 11:14 AM

Jcrow,
I thought it would go together smoothly after I read, and watched a bunch of tutorials.. I was banking on it working, as I have three more to do after.
I need to give a major tahnk you to Dayle, as she gave me the courage to start. I'm pretty big on procrastination when I am unsure.
Barri
Old 10-21-2012, 12:11 PM

I must clarify that normally the sewing of the sashing is done through the layers of the block as a means of attaching the blocks together. There are different ways to do QAYG, and I basically use this one: http://welshquilter.blogspot.com/200...as-you-go.html, but using closer to a 1 and 1/8" width on the top sashing rather than their recommended 1".

Since Barri was going to try whipstitching the blocks together, the sashing would need to be applied on top (and on the bottom side of the quilt) in order to cover the whipstitching seam. Picture something like bias tape being laid over the seam and sewn down. The sashing would have to be pressed so that the raw edges were turned under.

I am remembering the first time I used the QAYG method. The trimming and squaring was not my problem, but I did have to experiment just a little to get the width of the sashing and my seam allowances just right. It all had to to with the thickness of things and the size of my quarter inch seam. Since then I have been using a quarter inch foot, and the finished width of my sashing is much more uniform.

The second challenge for me was lining up the intersections. I now hand baste at the intersection for about 1-2" when applying the last sashing step. It prevents movement and slippage forward of the top layers. The workspace is tight on that step, and my walking foot might help the slippage, but it is just too cumbersome and wide for ease of use there.

I am really pleased with the QAYG technique. My avatar quilt was done that way and so was my Lucky Stars quilt:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...d-t194849.html. I have done about 8 of them in various sizes.

Maybe someday I will master handling the bulk of machine quilting, but until then, I am happy to have found the QAYG method.

Dayle

Last edited by Daylesewblessed; 10-21-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:35 PM
Swap Hosts

Bari, QAYG is always an adventure -- at least for me. You absolutely have to trim your blocks. I've found it is necessary to baste my sandwich because no matter how well I pin, the backing always seems to go traveling. The method I've used is having the backing as sashing by folding it under. You do end up with a double sashing, but that's life. Sometimes using different backings can result in a more interesting look. Wishing you lots of luck!
Old 10-21-2012, 03:37 PM

I thought about you a lot today and wondered how it is going! I think if you divide the blocks into piles according to size for the three (or four???) quilts, then square them up to one size -- taking off the least that you have to, and then putting them together in some way that will hold them. I thought your "whipping" was going to be like a basting stitch that probably wouldn't be removed. Then I would take my 4 x 7 big block and lay it down so I could see how wide the sashing needed to be to make it cover those edges. I hope this helps. No matter, remember they will be loved.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:41 PM

Hi Dayle,
I did it sort of the way Welshquilter showed, but I think there was a problem because the blocks were wonky. I could try it again, and it might work, but I think I like sewing the squares together, and then sewing the sashing on top. I will still have the satbility of both the squares sewn together, and the sashing gong through all the layers, both on the front, and back. I can't wait to try it out, but it mght be next weekend. I try not to work on anything to brain taxing during the week. I work long hours.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Patti25314 View Post
I thought about you a lot today and wondered how it is going! I think if you divide the blocks into piles according to size for the three (or four???) quilts, then square them up to one size -- taking off the least that you have to, and then putting them together in some way that will hold them. I thought your "whipping" was going to be like a basting stitch that probably wouldn't be removed. Then I would take my 4 x 7 big block and lay it down so I could see how wide the sashing needed to be to make it cover those edges. I hope this helps. No matter, remember they will be loved.
Thanks for thinking about me.
Right now I am squaring up the squares for my quilt. I can't mix all their squares up. They are all labeled with eveyones naes on them. I had the girls come over, and pick out all their squares, as all the squares are different. I put them together, and FMQ.. Now I have to square them.. That I am getting tortured with..
Love your dog.. He looks so calm..
Barri
Old 10-21-2012, 04:20 PM

Barri1,

Your method will be as strong or stronger than the Welsh quilting method, because the blocks will actually be attached at the edges. They should butt up tight that way. With the Welsh method, if you are a little bit too wide on the sashing, there can actually be a space between the blocks that you can feel with your fingers through the sashing. Let us know how it works out and don't stress too much this week!

Dayle
Old 10-21-2012, 04:27 PM

Dayle,
What you are talking about with the space between the sashing is what caused me to spend hours taking a scalpel to the stitches, and taking everything apart. I don't stress too much about my quilting. I find it very relaxing. I love reading about all the problems people have with the quilting, and how other members are there to rescue them before they climb the walls.. I find it amazing seeing some of the work that some of the members whip up..
Barri
Old 10-22-2012, 05:30 AM

I bught the book by Marti Michel for QAUG but honestly I've never tried it. Don't be afraid to quilt a large (and I do mean LARGE (120 x 120) on your domestic machine. Wish I had some words of wisdom for your current dilemma but I'm sure someone reading your question will be able to help. Again,don't be afraid to do a large quilt on your DSM.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:20 AM
pal

I did a QAYG that 5 of us made together. It was so bad that I had to go buy packaged seam binding and sew it all on by hand, covering the binding that each of us did. That was the only solution that I could come up with. Not my proudest moment........