View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 04:27 PM
danmar

Hi everybody! If you watched me make "My Experimental Bargello", you saw that I had never made one before and I didn't have a pattern. So to make mine I made my main focus first then filled in the wedges. But, due to cats loving to slide on it, I had to go ahead and sew the strips together in sections as I was designing it. This tutorial will explain how I went about figuring out the wedges and how to sew them in.

Now let me tell you that if you buy a pattern for a Bargello, either mine or someone else's, you would not have to learn how to make the wedges. Regular patterns show what colors and widths, to put where. There is no need to "fill in" around the main focus. Also, check out the post on My Experimental Bargello, as there are lots and lots of pictures on there which will help.

Alright, this first picture shows the last wedge that I did on my Bargello, "Swish!". Since I was sewing this one together with the seams meeting in the middle of the next rows seams, instead of matching all those seams, you need to end each row with 2 of the same color. (One for the half of square and one for the whole square.) Here is a link to page 10 of my bargello to show more of what I'm talking about. On this page you can see close ups of the "mismatched" seams, plus the 12" block that I did first, with "matched" seams.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-40652-10.htm

You can see in this picture where on every other row, the squares will be cut off to make them a half of square. You can see it even better in the 2nd picture.

I started on the inside edge of the wedge and worked towards the corner. There were 7 colors in my strips for the wedges. I filled in with one color (on 2 rows), then 2 colors (on 2 rows), etc. until I got to the point where I could just add a full strip. I just used 2 1/2" wide strips, cut to the needed length to do the wedge until I got to a full strip. You would also have the option of just putting in full strips and then "un-sewing" them at the correct seams, but that seemed like a waste of fabric to me.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]56910[/ATTACH]

The Wedge that I put in last to finish up my bargello "Swish!"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]58040[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-56910.jpe   attachment-58040.jpe