Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 10-27-2010, 02:25 PM
Power Poster

No sign of Kathy then? I was hoping to pop in and hear good news.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:20 PM
Power Poster

I'm sure we'll hear when she gets a few minutes...Elle...are you cross eyed yet?
Old 10-27-2010, 04:53 PM

Here I am. ELLE, UNCROSS YOUR EYES - that's an order!!!

we just got back from Waco. Got a late start on getting on the road as WE had to go to ITT Tech - Waco to get "the call." Didn't get "the call" but he DH is their choice. Now they are going to do a background check - really popular in this area - maybe all the US. Anyway, when that comes back - can take up to 10 working days - then they'll submit the job offer and tell us what they are going to pay him. They said that there would be a negotiation between DH & ITT Tech for the final salary.

Abyway, I found the perfect house for us, but we will have to get it built. DH has to be in Waco Nov 22 - agh! I will be here getting this house market ready and sold.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:56 PM

HOORAY! Kathy, what great news! Now the real work begins!
Old 10-27-2010, 05:19 PM

Thanks, Shemjo - and everyone else who have been pulling for us. I don't even want to think about what lies ahead for me in the upcoming months. Packing, cleaning, hiring a repairman to fix all the dings from DH's wheelchair & put doors back on where I had taken them off. Once DH is settled in Waco, I can really get things done, but now is a waiting time. Once the background check comes back, he needs to find a place to live for the short time we'll need it. Can't build until this place is sold.

Gonna go piece more Jane's Journey triangles to each other. Before we left, I drew out the scallops & a big curve for the corner. Cut the fabric to 4" width - will draw the scallops and curve on, but not cut until it's all quilted. I thought I might enjoy saving some extra to hold the edge in the hoop.

Thansk again - each and every one of you.

Love you all!
Old 10-27-2010, 10:43 PM

Great news Kathy see crossed eyes work LOL Managed to uncross them but it was a devil of a job :-D . So pleased for you. Do you think that the house market is good where you are? Here in Spain is really bad. Houses can take up to 2 years to sell. I imagine where you are to be quite a bold market though and different to here completely.
That was really good news to read this morning.

Elle
Old 10-28-2010, 02:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
Thanks, Shemjo - and everyone else who have been pulling for us. I don't even want to think about what lies ahead for me in the upcoming months. Packing, cleaning, hiring a repairman to fix all the dings from DH's wheelchair & put doors back on where I had taken them off. Once DH is settled in Waco, I can really get things done, but now is a waiting time. Once the background check comes back, he needs to find a place to live for the short time we'll need it. Can't build until this place is sold.

Gonna go piece more Jane's Journey triangles to each other. Before we left, I drew out the scallops & a big curve for the corner. Cut the fabric to 4" width - will draw the scallops and curve on, but not cut until it's all quilted. I thought I might enjoy saving some extra to hold the edge in the hoop.

Thansk again - each and every one of you.

Love you all!
Such great news Kathy, I am incredibly pleased for you. Where will you live until the new house is built? I am presuming that at least, if you are having one built, you will be able to specify wider doorways so that you don't have to take the doors off this time!
I asked before, but perhaps you didn't notice - does that mean you will now be known as Quilts without Convicts? Or will you still be able to go back to the prison to keep them all going?
Old 10-28-2010, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Such great news Kathy, I am incredibly pleased for you. Where will you live until the new house is built? I am presuming that at least, if you are having one built, you will be able to specify wider doorways so that you don't have to take the doors off this time!
I asked before, but perhaps you didn't notice - does that mean you will now be known as Quilts without Convicts? Or will you still be able to go back to the prison to keep them all going?
We are going to have to find temporary quarters until I can sell this house & we can get the house built. DH has to be in Waco by Nov. 22. Doesn't leave much time to do much of anything, especially since it may take as long as 10 working days to get the background check done. Nothing will happen before then.

I will have to change my screen name to something Texan, I guess. It is an 8+ hour drive between here in Hobbs over to Waco, so that's too far to comute.

Yes, they have a "package" for handicaps. Wider doorways, open shower instead of a soaking tub. We have a garden tub right now - think I've used it 2 times in 8+ years! This floor plan that we love is so cool. The living room/dining room area is 30' long. The 4 bedrooms are set up with the 2nd largest in the very front, right off the foyer on an angled wall. Then the 2 smallest are down from there with a full bath between. The master suite is at the back of the house with a walk-in closet and huge bathroom - double sink vanity. DH will get the front room as his office & I'll take one of the smallest. However, I haven't told DH that I am eyeing the dining area at the front of the living room/ dining room/ breakfast area/kitchen area as my sewing area. My sewing spot is always so neat. It's the rest of the room that's a mess when I'm into a project. If I have the dining area as my sewing area, having a small room for the rest will work out perfectly. This area is more a part of the living room than the kitchen. The breakfast area is at the back of the space and at the end of the kitchen. It's about the same size as the dining area. We don't need or want 2 eating areas. We will be having all the carpeting replaced with vinyl flooring for now. DH's wheelchair can do a number on carpeting. I'd like to have Pergo throughout the whole house eventually, but for now, a few area rugs will do.

It's exciting, but I dread all the work to get us there.

I really appreciate all the kind thoughts and prayers by everyone here. I have always thought this is just the nicest friendliest group ever assembled. And to think - we are all over the world, but it feels like we're in the same town!

Thanks to all of you!

"YellowRose" - what do you think? There is a song "The Yellow Rose of Texas," and my favorite color is yellow. I think I'll try that on for now. I can't tell the inmates anything about this. They will fret themselves into all sorts of problems. I'm not even telling the administration that DH got the job. I need to work until it's time to quit & I want to be the one who decides when that is!
Old 10-28-2010, 04:41 AM

Good idea Kathy to be the one who does the deciding on when to leave your job. Your house sounds like to die for just my kinda house. Make sure you get a sewing room though

Like the Yellow Rose name and I like that song too.

Yes this is a great bunch of ladies on this forum, I have made so many lovely friends here

BTW ladies, have posted more work by our group, under the heading, "Work by Vinuela Sew & Sews"
Enjoy

Elle
Old 10-28-2010, 04:51 AM
Power Poster

Kathy, I am thrilled skinny (well not quite, lol) for you - the house layout sound brilliant - I think most of my house would probably fit in your living room! And I like Yellow Rose too.

It's a shame we can't all come over and pitch in for you. I packed up most of my home in 2000 under difficult circumstances. In the end, I had to ask for help, because I was running out of time, trying to work to a deadline. In a trice, I had about 16 people all over my house, stuffing things into boxes. (Very well intentioned, but it took me a long time to find some things, and there are still a couple that I haven't seen for 10 years, LOL).