Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 11-12-2010, 09:44 AM

Correct. If you want block instructions, you need to buy the CD and then you can print out pp instructions or piecing info and cutting instructions. They are easy to follow, and there are lots of other goodies with the CD and instructions manual.
I got mine on line through JoAnns. Watch for sales. My LQS has them as well, and they have sales where these are included.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
Lesley's getting a LA?????
LOL, Sort of Kathy - I am getting a HQ Sweet Sixteen. It's a regular 16in HQ machine (their smallest I think), but it is set flush into a table that you sit down at, with the machine facing you as per a LA rather than sideways on like a domestic machine. Drawbacks: The machine won't move over the quilt as it would if the quilt was mounted in a frame. On the other hand, I can already FMQ, the table is 30in x 36in and can be extended 18in in both directions with add ons (available in Jan, I am told), and I get to use all those 16in to quilt with, moving the quilt under the needle. It is also possible to upgrade with a frame if I was ever able to find the room for it - so at least it would be good for resale if I popped my clogs sometime.

I tried a prototype in Birmingham in August and ordered it then, and it was finally despatched yesterday - I am hoping it will be here by Tuesday as it has been a long wait, and my patience has been sorely tested.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:32 PM

sorry quilting newbie here...could you explainwhat a dear jane quilt is...and do you use all the blocks? what if you are a beginner and are concerned about the harder stuff?
Old 11-12-2010, 02:40 PM

Well then I looked at the date of the Jane club and realized I am about a year behind. Probably saves me from my own insanity! :-)
Old 11-12-2010, 03:46 PM

Well Becky we are all still plugging away making this quilt, If you search on Jane Stickle Week 1 you will get all the weeks that we have completed so far, we are now on week 45. One lady has completed the quilt in 7 months 22 days a bit of a record. Its not scheduled to be finished until aroundMarch/April 2011. Its a long haul but so worth it.

Have a look and see what you think, we all know we are slightly bonkers to attempt it.
Elle
Old 11-12-2010, 04:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
Well Becky we are all still plugging away making this quilt, If you search on Jane Stickle Week 1 you will get all the weeks that we have completed so far, we are now on week 45. One lady has completed the quilt in 7 months 22 days a bit of a record. Its not scheduled to be finished until aroundMarch/April 2011. Its a long haul but so worth it.

Have a look and see what you think, we all know we are slightly bonkers to attempt it.
Elle
Ahem - sorry to be pedantic, Elle, but it was 6 months, 22 days. - but not a record, there are others who have done it quicker, I just think they didn't sleep!
Old 11-12-2010, 04:29 PM

Oh was it really, sorry. Thats even more of a record well in my eyes anyway because I know how much work goes into this baby.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Becky13
Hi: Do you mean that there are no block instructions in the Dear Jane book? Just pictures of the blocks?

Yes, thats right. Just the line drawings so that you can copy them or draft your own. Thats why I went with the software for piecing the blocks. I did finally buy the book so I could see the quilting patterns on the blocks. They show up better in the book.

Oh now I see this was answered waaaaayyy back! Anyway, Becky...you can start the quilt and work at your own pace..don't have to work to a schedule. I'll tell you though...you will learn a TON working on this baby. Newbie or not...you can start on the easy ones, work up to the harder ones and by the time you finish....you'll be pretty far down the road on the quilting learning curve. :D:
Old 11-12-2010, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Becky13
Hi: Do you mean that there are no block instructions in the Dear Jane book? Just pictures of the blocks?
Oh, no. There are full size patterns. Actually it's a block line drawing. You are instructed to trace the block on freezer paper, shade the different fabrics, carefully cut it out, and iron to wrong side of your fabrics. Then you can draw around the freezer paper templates and you are all set to piece. I waited until I was ready to sew a particular piece to another piece before removing the freezer paper.

There is also a picture of each actual block. I used them to determine the colors of my blocks. I was trying to keep to what Jane had done in hers. I didn't keet very well with the triangles, though. I have lots more colors than Jane did.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:23 PM

Ooooooo, Lesley, I am so jealous!!!! I really fell in love with the Avante - 18" stand-up model. About the only thing that kept me from ordering one right there & then was $$$ - just couldn't judstify spending that much so soon after DH gets his job! Next year - well, that's another story. Yes, taking it for a test drive did it for me. It was soooo easy to use! I have the Handi Quilter frame and carriage, with special handles for my Janome, for my own machine, but this Avante is so much better and easier to use!!! I amazed myself at how much better I was on it! Beginnier's luck, you suppose?

Good to hear from you!