[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 10-18-2011, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr
Originally Posted by luvmortherest
ok this one is better
holy moly!!!! the colors look totally different :shock:
I was expecting a purple quilt :idea:

they are both beautiful! I wouldn't know how to pic the squares I want to make. Having the same issues with AOTH - not sure I want to make all the squares, but then again, how do you decide??

I also like the dear Hannah - seems to be more applique in them. Has anyone ever mixed the two? [DJ & DH]

I will begin a new DJ soon.
Cre8 - I was pondering the same thing - to do or not to do all of the squares. How do I choose? Let me count the ways - eeny, meeny, miney, mo. Oh, heck - just do 'em all! :-)

I only have 1 DJ in me, just like I only have 1 AOTH. I very rarely do a pattern more than once. Made the exception a couple of times with some of the more elaborate Mariner's Compasses I do. The most recernt one was a duplicate center, but in Christmas colors of the quilt I made for DH's office. Pics below:

Center for our guild raffle quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]273528[/ATTACH]

DH's quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]273529[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-273475.jpe   attachment-273476.jpe  
Old 10-18-2011, 06:21 PM

beautiful
Old 10-19-2011, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

Kathy....*deep breathing....hyperventilating.....*** Those are BOTH beautiful!

I haven't been quilting long enough to repeat a pattern....LOL...yet. I might use some of the DJ blocks for other projects though
Old 10-19-2011, 02:29 PM

a chrismas swap. 2 DJ's. you blow me away luvmorthe.. it seems like i get slower all the time. but did do about a bushel of pears last nite, and this morn. before i even got the motor home unpacked. i am so far behind quilting, i will never get caught up. haven't even gotten my camera out to see how the pic's i took of the org dj turned out.

so, glad another group is going to start dj's. you will fall in luv with her. i never got thru all 400 pages of this thread either. just hit and miss, but sandpat, and others just kept stearing me in the right dir.
the weekly sced. was the best. klue must have put a lot of work into it.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:57 PM

A quick question for all of you DJ'rs and DJ-wanna-b's

Did the schedule that Klue had put together work for all of you?? In looking it over, I suspect it can look too overwhelming for many. I could be wrong, but for people who may be working to expect them to 'keep up' with 4-5 square/triangle weekly seems like too much. And if you feel there is too much expected for you to keep up and you can't keep up, you are much more likely to quit. I am weeks behind with AOTH, but love sitting in the evenings handsewing and really dont mind too much that I'm that far behind. I look at photos others have posted for ideas but have developed my own color combos at this point. Here, I noticed every seventh week was a catch-up week and the last actually "blocks/triangle/kites" were scheduled for the week of Feb 14, where the 'block party' indicates it ends in May/June. Would it not make more sense to start slower, have less weekly, and continue sewing actual blocks for a longer time?? We all have our UFOs, but I think the more blocks we have, the more likely we are to finish them. Yes it is also more likely to finish a project with sashing and borders put together, but there are 6 wks allotted for that and another 4 for the quilting.

There are 225 patterns - spread over 18months, you make 3/week which would be more realistic than 5 and still have 3 weeks left to put it together. Do a quilting link separately??

I just wanted to ask for a little feedback before I put another schedule together.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:15 PM
Power Poster

Gus, there were several that had issues with the schedule as written. The biggest being that you cannot put together any rows or columns until almost the very end using the existing schedule. I think the reasoning had to do with the difficulty level of the blocks...but maybe there is a way to do it starting off with easier blocks, but getting some rows completed sooner would be more encouraging.

I think including the tris early on each week though is good...some are so hard and frustrating that if you save them all for the end, I think I might have ended up with a UFO.

I didn't have trouble keeping up with the schedule though...I usually did them on Sun. afternoon, then hand quilted or did the applique ones during the week while watching tv. I also got them hand quilted during the week.

Just my 2 cents...;wink:
Old 10-19-2011, 09:22 PM

the only reason i fell behind on my Jane was due to health issues with DH. he had several hospital stays around that time.

like patti i really didn't have much problem with the schedule (even doing double the blocks) but that is because i don't work.

i also agree that maybe if somehow it could be arranged so that you could put a row together quicker would allow for accomlpishment to be seen.

i am sure klue would not mind you using her schedule but if you want to truely make this baby yours then revamp.

i also agree that saving the tris till last could intimidate some.

hope that helps.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:25 PM

here are pics of my design wall
Attached Thumbnails attachment-274083.jpe   attachment-274084.jpe   attachment-274085.jpe  
Old 10-19-2011, 09:25 PM

and the last
Attached Thumbnails attachment-274086.jpe  
Old 10-20-2011, 03:17 AM

Luvmortherest - (Can I abreviate your name) OMG how big is that quilt when it is finished? - looks very intimidating to me. Can you tell me what is the size of the squares and triangles? Just trying to decide if I really want to tackle this with a group or on my own?