Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
#10 mystery quilt train ride - more scraps!! >

#10 mystery quilt train ride - more scraps!!

#10 mystery quilt train ride - more scraps!!

Old 05-04-2015, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom View Post
I love all the quilts and runners. I wasn't able to do this ride but have all the info and will do it in the future. I have done several other train mysteries and I have a question about all the scrappy ones. What color thread is everyone using to quilt them? I hate that clear fishing line thread and don't have a clue as to what to use. Light thread on dark fabric? Dark thread on light fabric? Help! I have enough UFOs. I will be quilting on DSM. Thanks in advance.
What color is your backing fabric? I would maybe match that.
I just finished mine. I was having a heck of time with the quilting until I realized I had not put the lower part of the walking foot in place. Duh! Much better after I figured that out! I used a furry white minky on the back so quilted it with white. Just straight lines with the walking foot. Then folded that around to the front for the binding. I debated on whether to use batting or not. It seemed a little thin without but kind of thick with. I ended up using it
My niece had her baby last thursday so I was trying to hurry and finish the quilt so I could go visit on wednesday this week. Little Evie (Evelina Yulabeth Lopez) is not doing well. She has pulmonary hypertension and has a ventilator breathing for her. Please say a prayer for her and her family. Hopefully she will start doing better and be able to go home to her family soon.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:33 PM

Oh sweet little baby girl Evie you and your family are in my prayers, get better soon.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:39 PM

I hope and pray that the little one is doing better and the parents too.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:39 PM

Baby Evie is in my prayers too.
Lovely quilts and tablerunners!! Enma yours is big and beautiful!
Old 05-05-2015, 03:36 AM
dd

My #9 & #10 still aren't quilted. What has anyone else done for quilting on theirs? Sometimes I just can't think of anything. Been looking at continuous line but not sure about them either. Thanks for any help.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:39 AM

Pam: So sorry to hear about Evie. The best to her and her family.

Dirtymom: I will be opting for white to match the background which is also white. When choosing thread for quilting I usually pick the dominant color that's in the top. I don't mind if the back doesn't blend.

Marta: Thank you for your kind words. I can't seem to make a small quilt, its kind of like a book that you are enjoying so much you never want it to end. Enjoyed putting this one together but then I say that about all of Judy's designs.

dd: I am a complete novice at designing quilting patterns but these are some early thoughts I have about the quilting. I am probably going to use the blocks of both quilts as a kind of template and fit a design to those shapes. I probably will do something to emphasize the lattice in #10. The way I laid out the design there are a lot of negative spaces in #9 so I will probably try to achieve different textures. Some of the modern quilts do a beautiful job of creating texture as a design element. Want to try some of that technique. Nothing earth shaking but just some thoughts. I have a couple of Bonnie Hunter quilts that I will probably do a continuous design because of the complexity of the design. Just what I'm thinking right now. Would love to hear everyone else's thoughts.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:00 AM

Prayers for Evie.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:10 AM

This pattern is so quick and easy, I made another runner for my dining room for the summer. Love all the ones that have been shown, each one so different with the color choices.[ATTACH=CONFIG]518905[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 005.jpg  
Old 05-05-2015, 09:48 AM

Wow, jaba, that is an eye catcher. And love the wood grain on your table. (I was a wood worker with a love of wood before I fell in love with quilting.)
Old 05-05-2015, 10:18 AM

Thanks Judy, have lots of wood in this house. Hubby is a custom cabinet and furniture maker. Have gotten a lot of compliments over that runner, my dining room is the lightest pinkish color to a dark fuchsia almost.