Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
17th Mystery Quilt Train Ride Sept. 9, 2017 >

17th Mystery Quilt Train Ride Sept. 9, 2017

17th Mystery Quilt Train Ride Sept. 9, 2017

Old 10-08-2017, 12:29 PM

[QUOTE=tscweaves;7921596]I was planning to go up north for the weekend. We are having perfect autumn weather, clear, sunny, & warm and here I am sicker than a dog with a miserable cold So I finished piecing and sandwiching my two runners and thought that I would take before pictures because I am going to use my new rulers and FMQ these bad boys! I have been doing a little playing already and I figures these are good sizes to jump in the deep end with. Wish me luck!

Your runners are very pretty! Have fun with your rukers-these are the perfect size to start with!
Hope you feel better soon!
Old 10-08-2017, 12:31 PM

Jaba-LOVE your batik runners!
Old 10-08-2017, 12:36 PM

Wow, haven't checked in, in 2 days, and lots of goodies being posted. Beautiful, every one of them.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:54 PM

Your runners are so pretty.. I'm waiting on the green to arrive so I can finish mine. This is a neat pattern.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:45 PM

Well, mine is finished! I did SID quilting and I like it. I decided to go with the design variance" instead of a do-over! Its all about adapting and adjusting in my world! Since it was a mystery I had no expectations of what it would look like anyway! It's[ATTACH=CONFIG]581978[/ATTACH] all good!!
Attached Thumbnails img_e2482.jpg  
Old 10-09-2017, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by jillmc View Post
I agree! Its cheerful-especially on this cool, rainy day!
Thanks. I saved one 'ugly' block and will finish it into a table topper. I like my new black and yellow blocks much better. I'm making them into a lap quilt. Added corners to make them "Square in a Square" and will use six blocks, three of each kind. If anybody else wants to add corners, you cut two 11.5" squares each once diagonally. It will make my blocks appear set on point but they will actually be set straight 2 across x 3 down. Haven't decided on border yet.
OH MY GOSH! These runners getting posted just keep getting prettier and prettier! Theresa encouraged me to buy the free motion rulers like she bought, but I haven't received them yet. They should arrive this week. Think I'll take her idea and use them to experiment on my ugly block. If I do ok, maybe I'll use them to quilt the lap quilt. Haven't done free motion quilting so I'm anxious to try it. Took a class long ago but never really did any more after that. I'm hoping these rulers and Theresa's quilting will inspire me! I love every runner I've seen so far. Each is prettier than the next! Thanks, Judy, for another beautiful mystery design.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]581984[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]581985[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails mystery-star.jpg   mystery-house-block.jpg  
Old 10-09-2017, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Just Jan View Post
Theresa encouraged me to buy the free motion rulers like she bought.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]581984[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]581985[/ATTACH]
Sure, blame it on me! LOL On my weavers forum, we all help to enable each other, so I figured the same went with quilters:-)

I will say my ruler work is not going quite as nice as I had hoped it would. The one thing that is working in my favor is that I don't have consistent stitch length, so the long stitches are easily removed. I have been frogging - a lot! Sometimes I am too impatient with learning a new skill and I want & expect good results right away.

Jan, that is going to be such a pretty throw, I am looking forward to seeing it finished.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by tscweaves View Post
Sure, blame it on me! LOL On my weavers forum, we all help to enable each other, so I figured the same went with quilters:-)

I will say my ruler work is not going quite as nice as I had hoped it would. The one thing that is working in my favor is that I don't have consistent stitch length, so the long stitches are easily removed. I have been frogging - a lot! Sometimes I am too impatient with learning a new skill and I want & expect good results right away.

Jan, that is going to be such a pretty throw, I am looking forward to seeing it finished.
Yep, you are my enabler. Hey I just paid off my car, so had to treat myself, didn't I?!!! Glad you like the start of my throw.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:44 PM

Here are both finished runners. I used the rulers on the gold & red, you can sort of see some of the designs. I used white thread, red would have popped more but it would have really shown the troubles I was having. When I am using rulers I have a real love/hate thing going on with my 15-88 treadle. I did fussy cut the centers and that came out good:-)
I like the black/grey/red runner, I just SITD but is pleasing to my eye.

Both runners really show just how bad I am at piecing. I always think that I am being so careful as I cut and sew, and then once I start putting the pieces together it looks bad. Hopefully more experience will have things coming out nicer.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]582011[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]582012[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20171009_171416-800x600.jpg   20171009_171442-800x600.jpg  
Old 10-09-2017, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by tscweaves View Post
Both runners really show just how bad I am at piecing. I always think that I am being so careful as I cut and sew, and then once I start putting the pieces together it looks bad. Hopefully more experience will have things coming out nicer.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]582011[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]582012[/ATTACH]
Just what are you talking about???!!! Your seams match up, your points are sharp and your blocks are square. What more do you want? What do you think looks bad? You're too hard on yourself.