Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
18th Mystery Quilt Train Ride >

18th Mystery Quilt Train Ride

18th Mystery Quilt Train Ride

Old 03-29-2018, 10:18 AM
Power Poster

Judy Judy Judy ....... Next week is the next train ride??? Already. Oh Boy !!
Old 03-29-2018, 05:45 PM

I promised I would get moving on this today and I did!. Most of my four patches did not measure 4.5, so I gave up and dove into my bin of 3 and 4 inch squares and now have the 4 patches finished. Started the quarter square triangles and spent too much time fuzzing with colors. Forward progress has been made. Should be able to get the stars finished tomorrow then sashing and Ta-Da! I think there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I need to finish before the next mystery starts!
Old 03-29-2018, 06:09 PM

WMU.....scrappy's are fun but I lament over colors too and waste so much time. A scrappy is a scrappy is a scrappy..lol! I need to be more deciplined and just go for it. Looking forward to seeing your creation...
Old 03-29-2018, 06:25 PM

ah, yes, Mary, 'tis time once again. See you on the 7th!

Teen and WMU I used to agonize over colors on scrappy, now all I try and do is not put 2 colors next to each other that are the same. A friend of mine, years ago, told me to use the paper bag method and it got me over my crazy obsession of picking colors.

Paper bag method Cut all the pieces for one section, say 100 2.5" squares to make 25 4-patch, and put in a bag. (Guess this was back in the bag when we all had paper bags saved. LOL) Random pull to find 4 that are different colors, but don't obsess if you pick a green, a blue, a red and a pink. It will all work out in the end.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-31-2018 at 02:41 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 03-29-2018, 08:23 PM

Thank you ladies for the kind comments! Yes, M-Fay it is always nice to read the comments. Sunrise 450 - I think I will be just backing them with Minky at the kids requests. That sounds pretty warm as two of them live in Texas, but the AC always calls for a warm cuddly quilt. Judy - thank you for the advice and it did not sound rude. I may however give it a try...with one half of the HST being a solid. I will at least try the first clue or two that way. Nothing ventured, nothing gained...right?
Old 03-30-2018, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Carol in WI View Post
Thank you ladies for the kind comments! Yes, M-Fay it is always nice to read the comments. Sunrise 450 - I think I will be just backing them with Minky at the kids requests. That sounds pretty warm as two of them live in Texas, but the AC always calls for a warm cuddly quilt. Judy - thank you for the advice and it did not sound rude. I may however give it a try...with one half of the HST being a solid. I will at least try the first clue or two that way. Nothing ventured, nothing gained...right?
Absolutely true!!!
Old 03-31-2018, 03:15 AM

WMU.....scrappy's are fun but I lament over colors too and waste so much time. A scrappy is a scrappy is a scrappy..lol! I need to be more deciplined and just go for it. Looking forward to seeing your creation...

I love true scrappy quilts but for some reason I wanted to use up all of my green 2.5 squares for this quilt. Well, I made a serious dent in the pile of "greens". Got to lay out 6 squares and I do not recommend trying to go with one color and the pop color. It is OK but not nearly as impressive as those that are randomly scrappy.

I will finish and go at it again with truly scrappy choices.......I have plenty of 2.5 squares!
Old 03-31-2018, 05:08 AM

Hello travelers.. I'm a frequent lurker of your train ride and wanted to jump on before you all departed to say how beautiful every single one of your quilts turned out! I have thoroughly enjoyed each reveal - especially, Carol in WI's flannel memory quilt <3 I hope to join a future ride once I've finished my 'On Ringo Lake' project. In the meantime, I'll be admiring from the sidelines. You all have a great group here.

Christine
Old 03-31-2018, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

Those plaids are beautiful!!!! I love that quilt.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:40 PM

Put together half of the blocks and think after I finish this quilt, I will try it again later using red, whites and blues. I have plenty of 2.5's to give it at least a try. Thinking Quilt of Valor.