Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 55 of 112 FirstFirst ... 5 45 54 55 56 65 105 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 2778

Thread: 2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion

FRAEW, KATYBOB, GUS, SPARTAN QUILTER - AWESOME BLOCKS!! Please keep posting pics. I miss working on my DJ but sure enjoy seeing all your work. Hopefully, I'll be back in the game within a couple of weeks.

I started putting the sashing on Row A of the Civil War fabric quilt last night and I already like it better. Just to be sure -- is the sashing cut 1 1/2" wide (1" finished)? I checked the book and the CD user manual and couldn't find the measurement, although I'm sure I've read it before.

Oops! I think it's 1/2" finished! The 1" finished looks nice, but I don't think the triangles will work if I don't use the right measurements.

It is 1/2" finished and I know what you mean about the triangles...
    The advantage with the 1/2" finished is that your seam allowances buttress against each other leaving no space - and essentially no need for further batting if you decide you want to QAYG each block one at a time. The drawback if you alter the width - aside from the QAYG being more challenging - are those darn triangles in the border! I am strongly leaning toward the Bonnie Hunter Storm at Sea sashing which is 2" x 4 1/2" finished - an extra 1 1/2" !!!

I will NOT redo those triangles - but I am going to work with my EQ to see if it will be possible to increase the width of the print triangles that are between the pieced ones without making it look bad. You should be able to do this easily with just the 1/2" increase - only 1/4" on either side. If you want to keep the point in those triangles, you would probably need to add 1/4" sashing [finished] or cut 3/4" to each side of the plain tris.

Thanks, Gus. What did Bonnie Hunter do with her triangles? How's your knee doing now that you're a week past your surgery?

Doing my check in, so to speak! I'm loving all the blocks posted & like Cindy, I'm hoping to get back to mine soon. I miss doing them.....so true how addicting these wee blocks can be!
    Maureen

I agree Maureen, I hope to get back to them. But meanwhile, every time I get an e-mail saying there are new posts here, I smile. Best break from work there is.

Quote Originally Posted by katybob View Post
    Thanks, Gus. What did Bonnie Hunter do with her triangles? How's your knee doing now that you're a week past your surgery?
    Unfortunately, Bonnie nixed her triangles!!

The way her completed top looks is absolutely wonderful, but I'm not sure about the way the border looks. I plan to put the pattern into EQ or DJ software if it is possible there and see how it can be put together with the triangles in tact. I want to do it too, so gotta do it sometime!

Knee is actually two weeks past surgery and doing quite well - even got on the stationary bike during PT yesterday It still has some swelling on the sides of the kneecap and I can't put pressure there for any length of time which makes sleeping on my side still very interesting.... but this too shall pass. The pain I had pre-surgery is totally gone

Gus

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr View Post
    The way her completed top looks is absolutely wonderful, but I'm not sure about the way the border looks. I plan to put the pattern into EQ or DJ software if it is possible there and see how it can be put together with the triangles in tact. I want to do it too, so gotta do it sometime!
    Gus
    When I planned my quilt[s], I wanted to keep the original block size but increase the overall size of the quilt. So I made my sashings 1" finished. To keep the same 'shape' of the triangles [same angles], the side triangles ended up being 8.75x5.5. Since you already have some of your triangles done, perhaps you could look into adding 3/4" to the bottom of the triangles. then, trimming straight along your sides, that will make the base 5.5". Does that make sense?
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr View Post
    Knee is actually two weeks past surgery and doing quite well - even got on the stationary bike during PT yesterday It still has some swelling on the sides of the kneecap and I can't put pressure there for any length of time which makes sleeping on my side still very interesting.... but this too shall pass. The pain I had pre-surgery is totally gone

Gus
    My husband had both of his knees replaced and I remember the PT was exhausting. Congraulations on your progress. It just goes to show you that "you can't keep a good woman down."

Congrats on your progress with your knee Gus!
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

Here's Week 27. The appliqued blocks have been the biggest challenge for me and I thought I was getting better at it. In fact, I was feeling a little smug about it. Then I got to the tiny hearts at the top of RS-7 -- that's the little red and purple blobs at the top of the triangles. I am going to move those hearts, especially the top and bottom right hearts on the red one -- I didn't realize how crooked they were til I looked at the picture.

Name:  DJ - Week27.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  68.3 KB

Blog Entries
    wow, katybob, great blocks. i really did not notice the crookedness of anything until after you made me look for it. i wouldn't redo them.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Katybob, I agree with Nancy. I really did not notice until I searched for it. Remember how many blocks there will be when you put it all together!

katybob - I agree totally with Cindy and Nancy... however having said that! I myself took a heart out of an AOTH block and moved it over a fraction... everyone thought I had gone nuts because the difference was so slight no one noticed but me. If you really do want to do something I wouldn't change the applique at the bottom of the red - simply tuck a little of the space below it and/or remove some of the space below the heart on the left and the bottom section. I think if the spacing between the bottom section and the hearts was more even it wouldn't bother you at all and its a whole lot less work to do. It may tilt the tiny heart at the top more toward the left - if it does, dont redo the whole thing, just take out a few stitches near the point and shorten it so the point is more to the right. Again, katybob - it doesnt strike any of us until you point it out and we start to search!! Before I read what everyone wrote I thought WOW - you got them made and two of each!!!!! BRAVO we need to be less hard on ourselves - they are all amazing
    Gus

Blog Entries
    Hello! How are all? I hope that very well!
    First and foremost I wish to apologize that I'm not participating!
    Life was lodged the previous week! My husband took vacations and we could finally put the House on the day, everything in its place, decorate the walls with my previous paintings and began to hang up my few quilts!
    Last week could return to sew at last!
    But since Tuesday that our Internet service disappeared. We have a claim from 26-05-12 by failures and cuts, but really only we now have line for a few minutes! Then it is cut and disappears for hours!
    Why not have been able to reinstate me much appreciated here and missed by me!
    I learn so much and get so much help, which actually with my blog, have become the reason for joy of my days!
    But good... no Internet all this has been very difficult! And there is no view of solution at the moment! The telephony say it's problem of the internet and say these are the telephone! Therefore... us in the middle and no service!
    I hope you understand what I wanted to explain (know that the translator is not always simple), that he didn't follow disappeared, so yesterday and today... for some magical reason, more than 10 minutes ago that I am connected... wanted to know what is happening in my life!
    I finished the week 11 and also started to skip the scheduling to assemble entire by some problems color rows, so I leave at some photos of the week 11 so that they see that I am sewing and that it is not my intention to abandon this project!
    I hope that you enjoy your day and have a good week! A strong hug to all!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    What beautiful work Gladys! I know how you feel regarding your internet and telephone company. We are always left in the middle when there is a problem. The problem is never theirs! Have a nice day.

Name:  D-6 Challenge.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  443.7 KB I'm back and it feels good to sew again! I am very behind and needed to start with a fast and easy block. So here is D-6 Challenge.

Great blocks, Gladys!

Gus, must say thanks to you for all the tuts, which have really helped me and that your road to recovery is fast and smooth.

Well, 1 family reunion down, which was just filled with food, visiting, cards and lots of water activities. So, I am back to doing a few blocks, and since I am so far behind, I am just going right down the row, and here are 3 of them. I am challenging myself to do 1 block, at least, in 2 days, and hopefully I will get caught up. These do not have the quilting done, that is a slower process. And now that I got them posted, back to the sewing machine, and hopefully get 3 more out in the next week.
    Love all the blocks that have been posted'
    Here is D-8, with a lot of time will be spent on this one for applique.
    Name:  2012-July-16-D8.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  1.21 MB
    This one is D-9 and is a little off size, but I have decided that when I get them all together, who is going to notice.
    Name:  2012-July-16 D9.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  1.11 MB
    And the last one is D-10. This one was a REAL challenge, but I muddled through it.
    Name:  2012-July-16-D10.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  1.33 MB
    Last edited by spartan quilter; 07-16-2012 at 05:50 AM.
    A home is built of peace and love,
    and not of wood and stone,
    a place where happiness lives
    and memories are sewn.

Name:  D-7 Meeting Place.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  485.2 KBD-7 Meeting Place. Another easy block, but still not caught up.

Cindy.
    Just keep sewing, there are a lot of us behind, but you know what I have realized. Those ahead of us, iron out the tough parts and make it easier for us, or me anyway. Love the block you did.
    and memories are sewn.

Quote Originally Posted by spartan quilter View Post
    Cindy.
    Just keep sewing, there are a lot of us behind, but you know what I have realized. Those ahead of us, iron out the tough parts and make it easier for us, or me anyway. Love the block you did.
    You're exactly right, Spartan Quilter! On that note, this (below) will be the last block I work on today. I had to reverse sew on this one in several spots and I still got the triangles the wrong way in the upper left. I am NOT going to fix that.

D-10 Battlefield
    Name:  D-10 Battlefield.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  482.3 KB

CindyA, when I saw the name of that block, I would guess that the pattern won the battle, but that you won the war, because the block is done. That block was a tough one for me also. Sometimes we just have to move on. I forgot to tell you how much I love the fabric in your D6. Love the muted fabrics.
    and memories are sewn.

The Union "Blue" did win so ultimately they would have all been facing the same direction
    Great blocks Cindy, Gladys, and Spartan!!!! Nice to see you again Gladys - I always love seeing all of your blocks up at once!

Gus
    [Workin on a grandson's quilt and lots of applique sections on McKenna Ryan's 'Forest Hollow' which I am needle-turning for my daughter... at some point gotta return to DJ... knee still improving....
    then there's that avatar - a constant reminder that AOTH still lurks]

Blog Entries
    Gladys, I love your blocks and I'm glad you are back on the internet. I am still trying to finish my AOTH quilt but I love to see what everyone else is doing with DJ. The blocks look great.

Page 55 of 112 FirstFirst ... 5 45 54 55 56 65 105 ... LastLast